God’s Promises to Abram

from the God’s Promises to Abram reading plan

Genesis 12:1-9, 21:1-7, 22:15-18, John 8:56-58

BY Rebecca Faires

Text: Genesis 12:1-9, 21:1-7, 22:15-18, John 8:56-58

We make promises all the time. We make big promises like, “to love, honor, and obey as long as we both shall live,” and small promises: “I won’t eat your tortellini.” We make false promises: “I have read the terms and conditions,” and true promises: “I’ll be right back!”.

Promises are tools we use to navigate life together. These promises hold our family together, keep my children quiet in the back of the car, and reassure my dentist that I will sit in her chair on Tuesday for a cleaning.

But we are not always reliable in keeping these promises. I break appointments if something better (or worse!) comes up, and I fail to treat my kids to promised Chick Fil A, and I stomp to bits that sweet promise I made to honor my husband.

This is true for all of us in our own way. We are human, and our promises are made of weakness.

But when God makes a promise, He keeps it. In fact, God keeps both sides of the promise.

When God promised Abram, in Genesis 12, that through Abram’s seed all the nations of the earth would be blessed, Abram knew God would make good on His word.

When God fulfills His promise and gives Abram and Sarah a son in their old age, God brings joy and laughter to them—so much joy that they name the boy Isaac, which means “laughter.”

We are so grateful for that laughter because it’s the sound of dreams coming true. Abram and Sarai couldn’t give themselves a son, but God creates this crazy-wonderful promise and then He fulfills it.

God continues to fulfill His covenant when He supplies the ram for sacrifice so Abraham (as God had renamed him) doesn’t have to sacrifice his son and joy, Isaac. God’s mercy in allowing Abraham to keep his son foreshadows the New Testament, when God supplies Christ as the final sacrifice for the sins of the world.

Every one of God’s promises is made perfect in Christ (2 Corinthians 1:20). He is the fulfillment of the law, He is the true Promised Land, and He is the realization of our every need, hope, and desire (Haggai 2:7).

On this second day of Advent, let us rejoice in a God that keeps His promises to us, even if it means sacrificing His only Son.

His promises are true.

SRT-Advent_instagram_day2

For an added layer of worship during this sweet season of adoration and expectation, we’ve created a Spotify playlist for Advent 2014! You can find the complete SheReadsTruth | O Come Let Us Adore Him playlist at this link, or listen to today’s track on the player below. Enjoy!

SRT-GiftGuide-banner

160 thoughts on "God’s Promises to Abram"

1. Kasey Tuggle says:

Thankful we serve a faithful God! He always holds true to his promises!! Even when I am not faithful to him, he is!

2. Beth says:

I’m realizing more and more that God is is complete control. I’m continuing to learn to submit to Him and be still and know that He is God. Life will have it’s rough times, but God is always so good!

3. Sadiehope says:

Needed this so much today! In the midst of our fourth cross country move in 2 years (we are in the Air Force) with a new baby girl, leaving behind the first church family we’ve ever found and dealing with the stress of family and holidays, the promise that God WILL come and WILL fulfill His promises to me is such a reassurance!!

4. Dana says:

“Before Christ goes as a lamb to the cross, He declares that He is both the God who made a covenant with Abraham, and the Sacrifice who fulfills that promise (John 8). Christ Himself, His very person, is the complete fulfillment of the promise to Abraham.” Praying that our promises our rooted in the intentions of being fulfilled like God’s. We will mess up and fall short of those promises and His glory, however God’s grace paves new paths for us to travel on. Praying that this advent season allows us all to be sacrificial vessels for the Lord with everyone we encounter, giving a glimpse of God’s promises.

5. Lisa B says:

His mercy and love are more than I can ever imagine! Thankful and awed.

6. twystedyarn says:

I recently heard the most amazing teaching on Genesis 15 and the covenant between God and Abram. Examining Ancient Near East covenants reveals that in v. 17 when God passes through the pieces he is saying to Abram, "if/when you (your descendants) break this covenant, I will take on the punishment." This would have been ABSURD in that covenant-making culture between conquering and conquered Kings. The conquering king would have imposed a covenant (and subsequent punishment for breaking it) on a conquered king, BUT GOD. God comes and turns the whole thing upside down and says I will both make, keep, and pay for this covenant even thoug you are the one to break it over and over!!! Our promise-making, promise-keeping God.

1. Laila says:

Thanks for sharing!! I love diving into the historical context. It makes us understand

1. Laila says:

everything so much better and be amazed by our God!!

7. Jojo says:

What a great reminder of THE promise. In a world that is so distracted and unreliable we have hope in the one promise, Jesus….