Give Thanks In Suffering

from the Give Thanks In Suffering reading plan

1 Peter 4:12-19, Romans 5:1-5, Job 2:1-10

BY Diana Stone

Text: 1 Peter 4:12-19, Romans 5:1-5, Job 2:1-10

But to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation.
– 1 Peter 4:13, NASB

“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”
– Romans 8:18

It’s hard to be thankful while your world is crashing down. The ending of a job, the illness of a loved one, the loss of something you never dreamed you’d lose—so many circumstances in life take our breath away.

We are a world uncomfortable with deep, long-term suffering. We want to fix or be fixed quickly. We offer advice, platitudes, prayers, and cries to God of, “Why us? Why them?” No one wants to suffer, yet we all experience it at some point in our lives. And when we do, there is no shortage of advice on how we should handle it.

As we walk through our valleys, we do not have to dwell on our pain. Often it seems wrong and backwards that we would dare to find joy in the midst of suffering. Isn’t that a betrayal of the pain? Shouldn’t we be ashamed that our prayers were not answered? Should we be embarrassed that we believe in a God who, to someone on the outside looking in, seems to have ignored us?

Saying we’re thankful and hopeful in these situations may sound naive and even a bit crazy to those who are watching. But the Gospel never has made sense on paper, has it?

Isaiah 53:3 calls Jesus himself “a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief.” He was despised and rejected, mislabeled and wrongfully accused. He knew grief, but he did not allow it to define His life. His life on earth was defined by love. In love, He carried our grief and took on our sorrows, so we could have hope—a hope that does not change, even in the deep suffering of our earthly lives.

Sisters, it’s okay to be sad. But we know Jesus who died for us in love and rose again in love, so that all that is broken can be redeemed, so that in the midst of terrible pain we can know this isn’t all there is.

Our hope is never in vain when it’s in Jesus. Our thanksgiving in times of suffering is a testament to how temporary the pain is in light of our great eternal joy and our everlasting hope.

“And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
– Romans 5:5

SRT-Thanksgiving_instagram_day3

215 thoughts on "Give Thanks In Suffering"

1. Tatyana says:

I have been stuck in such a rut for the last few years.. I thought after getting married or even having a kid things would get better or change in some way good. After reading just this first day, I guess I’m just a tiny bit hopeful again. It’s hard to be thankful in the moment when everything is bleak, but I’ll try.

1. Peggy Petrey says:

May His brightness shine light upon your bleakness. May you see how deep His love is for you.

2. Joy Garingo says:

i have been going through so much lately and i have been a Christian as long as i could remember and it truly is no secret that being a Christian in this world makes living as one, harder and harder every single day because of all the suffering, pain and despair. i want everyone to know that no matter how hard we try on our own, we are always in dire need of Jesus’ strength. what i have learned is that, when we grow more mature, we lose sight of our need to be dependent to Him and we focus on being ‘independent’. we sometimes make choices that we seem to think is logical and beneficial for everyone but still, suffering and despair is in every corner of our good decisions. i have realized that no matter how independent i may profess to be, i am and will always be in need of God, and that His Word must always be obeyed. i now get why we suffer. we suffer because simply of our own sins, we suffer because of our follies and we suffer because we assert our will instead of obeying His will. but the story doesnt, thankfully, end there, because amidst the consequences of our actions, God makes all things new. He does not fail, He is always faithful, that even if we are caught in the midst of the webs that we had spun for ourselves, He does not abandon us and He gives us peace and joy, despite of our sins and while we are suffering.

we forget this a lot. i know that most of us here know & had even heard a sermon or two, read a verse or two about God’s faithfulness to us in times of our suffering, but friends we forget. thus it is to be a habit that we get reacquainted with all of His promises everyday that we would not lose sight of our purpose and of the truth.

thank you She Reads Truth, for becoming not only, one of the brightest beacons of light, but also, for being a good ‘reminding system’ for Christians all over the world. God Bless you ❤❤❤❤

3. Kathy says:

Sometimes the pain can be unbearable knowing that your pain is brought on by the choices made over the years. I’ve been saved for many years. I love God but I have not turned the corner on this. I still find it hard to rejoice and be joyful during these periods. Dreams that will never come true, disappointments and longings. Lord have mercy.

4. Kathryn says:

This year has been a tough year on me and my family. The one constant thing has been God. I know it can be easy to pray in the good times, but I feel like it’s just as important in the bad. I heard a pastor quote one time, “God doesn’t need our worship and praise as much as we need to worship and praise Him. He already knows; the worship and praise is to remind us of who He is. “

5. Lisa says:

I love this. It always scares me a bit to read scripture or devotions about suffering – for fear that He is equipping me for something imminent. Thankful for a right perspective today, His word is ever equipping.

6. Kelsey says:

I so needed to read this today!! After a really rough week last week and preparing to do some freedom work, this really hit home. So thankful that Jesus knows what I need to read/hear and when!

7. Jesslynn says:

Love. Love. Love. ❤️☺️

8. Jerray says:

I finally made it to my senior year in college. Then all of a sudden I was hit with constant anxiety, insomnia, and depression. I don’t know why…I’ve cried and prayed and cried and stretched my arms to him calling on Jesus…I know that we are supposed to give thanks even in suffering but I need help and I need Jesus to fight for me…

1. Gretel says:

And he will fight for you! He can send his mighty warring Angels to protect you from the enemy. Keep praising him and thanking him for that and know that you are not alone. God bless you and keep you, sister!

2. Marisa Grant says:

You are not alone in this. There are many others, including myself who also suffer from this. Please continue to pray and trust. It’s also okay to seek help from your doctor who can prescribe you medication. Counseling is also great. We all need help sometimes. Blessings to you!