he sovereignly waits while we run

from the he sovereignly waits while we run reading plan

Hosea 5:1-15, 2 Kings 17:19-20, Jeremiah 2:26-28

BY Diana Stone

Text: Hosea 5:1-15, 2 Kings 17:19-20, Jeremiah 2:26-28

I will return again to my place, until they acknowledge their guilt and seek my face, and in their distress earnestly seek me.
– Hosea 5:15

At first reading, Hosea 5 may make you tremble. After all, we can see ourselves in Israel—in their disobedience, idolatry, pride, and in their choosing man over God. God’s wrath is evident in the text.

God knows that Israel’s pride of earthly blessings and accomplishments has hardened their hearts towards seeking him. Interestingly, although God has blessed them with these things, Israel turns to other kings for guidance and protection. The people have decided that turning to sinful man is easier than repenting and returning to their Lord. (I don’t know about you, but this starting to sound like someone I know. Ahem.) Hosea writes, “Their deeds do not permit them to return to their God. A spirit of prostitution is in their heart; they do not acknowledge the Lord.” (5:4 NIV)

God decrees that He will be present in their secret and public judgements (5:12, 14), that Israel will stumble in its wickedness (5:5), and that He will forsake them (5:6). Reading these verses makes me cringe. They seem so harsh, so bare, so exposed.

But then we read the end. “Then I will return to my lair until they have borne their guilt and seek my face—in their misery they will earnestly seek me.” (Hosea 5:15 NIV)

The seeking was the point all along.

Imagine if Israel was someone you cared so deeply for that you could never let her go. You would do anything for her, but she continually turns away from you. God knows that Israel will turn to Him again, but they will do so in unhappiness, in need. As in so many times before, God’s people will only seek His face when they are at rock bottom. Like a wise parent with an unruly child, He has to let them turn away so that they can turn back (2 Kings 17:19-20 NLT).

Would He love to see them have it all and praise Him for it? Of course. To be blessed abundantly, beyond their wildest dreams, and still turn to Him with their needs and their worship? Absolutely. Does Israel ever stay with God when they’re on top of the world? (Jeremiah 2:27 NLT)

Do we?

So God waits. He watches us with sadness, with righteous anger, with tender grief for all we must go through again. When we return to Him broken, with hands out, He holds us close. He starts over again, patiently teaching us about His love and our need to obey and be humbled.

Let’s turn to Him now, friends, wherever we may be. Let’s seek His face and open our hands and receive our Heavenly Father’s relentless love. He’s had His eye on you all along.

123 thoughts on "he sovereignly waits while we run"

1. Bailey says:

I hit rock-bottom a few weeks ago, and God has been so faithful to me in such an unfruitful season of my life. Amid struggles, sin, and misery, He’s revealed Himself to me.

1. Sienna says:

Amen sister, keep fighting. He is rooting for you!

2. Emily says:

I love how The Lord’s timing always works, just as I am praying, Lord how do I let you and your word be relevant in my life, He turns me to the answer “Just seek me earnestly before anything else.”

3. Samantha Edwards says:

I want to stop being a part time Christian for a full time God.

4. Elizabeth says:

He alone is worthy

5. Sarah says:

It is almost scary how EASY it is to put something or someone before God. I know right now God is training my heart to seek him first before anyone. And some days it’s easy but others it’s not. Sometimes I think I’m doing a great job by just reading my bible in the morning and that equals putting God first. Which it is better than I have been doing in the past. But I need to be putting him before everything throughout my day. God isn’t just available in the morning he is there with me throughout it all. Thank you lord for reminding me this this morning. I pray I draw closer to you each day this week.

6. Mr. Alex says:

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. For me, it's easy to seek God and rely on him when things are going poorly. Where else could I turn? But when life is good, as it has been for me for a long time, and I'm finding success and other people are praising me for the good work I'm doing, it's so hard for me to seek. I want to be the one responsible for my success, I want to be proud of my accomplishments. Turning those blessings into praise and avoiding selfishness and pride is difficult and many people don't even see why being proud of oneself is a sin. I'm grateful to this study for reminding me who should receive the glory.
    Managed IT Service

7. Juanita DJ Camarillo says:

He holds us close. He turns away only because we need to be reminded of the emptiness without Him. But praise and honor and glory be to you, Lord, because when we turn back to you, you are so Willing, so Faithful, so Loving, so Graceful in taking us back- this broken, sinful, forgetful creation of yours… You alone are good, Lord and you alone are worthy!

8. Jen Lebo says:

Being on top of the world. Money. Riches. We say “ugh I’m poor” but we are so rich. So we don’t “need” God. I’m so convicted of how I am living. Not depending on God because “I’ve got this”. I talk God but I don’t live Him. Live in utter dependence day by day. Ugh. He must want to spit me out. Such a scary prayer but I am praying for God’s will in my life. Completely. I don’t want to miss out on the entire purpose of my life. To live for Jesus and be His alone.