this is faith

from the reading plan

Hebrews 11:1-40

BY Diana Stone

Text: Hebrews 11:1-40, Mark 9:24

“And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”
– Hebrews 11:6

“I believe; help my unbelief!”
– Mark 9:24b

This year we read my 4-year-old daughter the Easter story from her children’s Bible. As we neared the end, I could see her looking at me with wide eyes. She said, “Wow mama, that’s a sad story.”

I agreed, but reminded her that it truly had a happy ending. I added, “And it’s true, this all really happened to Jesus a long time ago.”

At that point, I think her little mind truly exploded trying to comprehend it all.

She wasn’t the only one. Since then, I’ve remembered the look on her face and wonder how often in life it’s reflected on mine. When you start to dig into the Bible, or find yourself sharing your faith with a friend, is there ever a moment you think, “Wait, is this really true? Because it sounds a little unbelievable.”

Don’t we all have those moments? Something in our lives blindsides us and we wonder, Is what I believe really the truth? Our faith is shaken, and our minds wander to the possibility of no God, no heaven, no purpose.

Faith is more than raising up your hands and praising God for when things work out the way you wanted them to. Faith steps in during those quiet moments of doubt. When it doesn’t make sense, faith is there. It was the same way for so many before us, who didn’t see their promise or the ending coming, and lived by faith still. “He (Moses) regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.” (Hebrews 11:26)

Many have gone before us, with nothing but the words from God to guide them along paths that seemed impossible. They may have had their doubts, they all stumbled and continued to sin, but the distinguishing mark in their lives was the clear sign of steadfast faith. It overruled the doubt from themselves and others.

Press on, Sisters. Stay the course, no matter the doubt that creeps in (like it does for each of us at some point!). Turn your eyes to Christ and hold fast to His promises.

83 thoughts on "this is faith"

1. BlessedandFavored says:

I thank God for my faith, it is the one thing that sustains me!!

2. Heather says:

What a comfort to know that we all struggle yet faith will overcome any doubt or fear!

3. b11n11 says:

They SAW and WELCOMED from a distance! Oh that I would wake with this mindset all the days He lends me breath and I return it in praise. It was said of Abraham,”For he was looking FORWARD to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.” Me too! Do you knowing a greater builder? Have you seen the blueprints?

1. Shevon Q. says:

Yes! WE are the blueprints! Each of our lives a monument of God’s redemption and creative power. Amen b11n11!

4. Mamaherdman says:

I love verse 13! To paraphrase: They saw the promises from a distance, greeted the promises, and went ahead and said, ‘Hey, I’m a foreigner here; this is just a temporary home for me.’ “. This personifies the promises of God as living, breathing things. It makes them personal!!

5. Sara says:

Wow!! This reading today really impacted me!! How much greater is our faith when we don’t see but believe compared to having to see to believe. These stories, testimonies from the bible of such great faith are so powerful! Such empowerment. Such relief. Such encouragement. My soul felt peace from this!

6. Jeri_Taira says:

“Faith steps in during those quiet moments of doubt. When it doesn’t make sense, faith is there.”

Soul soothing for me. I let out a breath of relief

1. Me too, Jeri! Thanks so much for joining us!
      xoxo-Kaitlin for She Reads Truth

1. AndreaZ says:

I love that too. Can you ask you app dev team to allow us to highlight or save lines like this in a notebook in the app? Would be great to do that. Thanks.

2. AndreaZ says:

Not sure if my reply was posted. Would love to be able to save and highlight lines.

7. Valerie says:

Right along side the Patriarchs… Rahab, not an Israelite, a woman, and a prostitute. Yet named next to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses. Lord, let me not discount myself because I feel like I don’t fit in, but instead trust Your leading and have the faith to step out, especially for peace.

1. Amen! Thanks for sharing that prayer, Valerie! We love having you!

xoxo-Kaitlin for She Reads Truth

8. Rebecca says:

I forgot this morning to do my daily reading, but after the very tough evening of trial I just had this Chapter and thoughts on it lifted my spirit and reminded me to hold on by faith! God has perfect timing, even if it means you skip your morning reading so it encourages you after a rough day instead :) May God bless the efforts of the SRT community!

1. I love that, Rebecca! So happy to hear that God is using these words to encourage you today!

xoxo-Kaitlin for She Reads Truth