the most holy place

from the reading plan

Hebrews 9:1-28, Matthew 27:50-51

BY Raechel Myers

Text: Hebrews 9:1-28, Leviticus 16:15 Matthew 27:50-51

“For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf.”
– Hebrews 9:24

The Gospel of Christ takes my breath away.

It’s clear and simple, yet spectacularly mysterious. Reading Hebrews 9 makes me want to fly the flag of my High Priest all over town. “It’s so simple! Don’t you see? It was God’s rescue plan all along!” The blood and sacrifices on the altars, and the final blood of the final (yes, final!) sacrifice on the cross—it’s all so beautiful and complete.

Death and life are deeply intertwined—goats and calves died one after another that their blood may guard life. Christ died once and for all that He may secure life eternal for us. And, in verse 14, the blood of Christ purifies our conscience “from dead works to serve the living God.”

Dead works.
Living God.

I had to look it up. With all this death and life talk, what exactly are “dead works”?

The word “dead” in this passage is the Greek word “nekron”, which means “neuter, useless, ineffective; not the issue.” The Grand Plan is being outlined before us, and the writer of Hebrews brings our efforts into view only long enough to say it’s just really not about them. He also makes super clear what it is about.

Dead works.
Living God.

I’ll be honest y’all; I’m about to pick up my flag again for another lap!

But before I do—I want to make one thing clear: These verses should not make us feel small or less than or not enough. They should compel us to understand that we have a higher privilege than the Old Testament Israelites ever enjoyed—our Great High Priest gave his own blood, thus literally tearing the curtain of the temple from top to bottom (Matthew 27:50-51, Mark 15:37,38) and granting us unrestricted access to the Lord of Lords!

“We have now boldness to enter into the holiest, in all acts of worship,
by the blood of Jesus; yet such as obliges us to holy reverence.”
-Matthew Henry

The Most Holy Place where the Israelites stored their most treasured possessions was replaced with one Great High Priest in whom alone we find our greatest treasure.

Goats and altars and tabernacles and makeshift propitiation—when Christ groaned “it is finished” from the cross and the veil ripped from Heaven to Earth, it was indeed FINISHED once and for all. We just get to confess and believe.

So, join me! Grab your flag of Gospel joy and fly it with me—The Gospel is true! It was His Grand Plan all along.

52 thoughts on "the most holy place"

1. eah08i says:

“Be FREE–Jesus did it ALL!” Those are the thoughts continually running through my head. Thank you Jesus for giving me freedom. Please help me to remember that it is not by my works, but by your sacrifice that I truly live. Help my “works” to only be a beacon to you my Living God.

2. Roxanne says:

What a glorious day that will be when we are in the Holy’s of Holy’s with our Lord and Saviour who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our sins,
    with our Lord and savour Jesus

3. Nikki says:

Oh Raechel, thank you for this words. I LOVE the phrase, “the veil ripped from heaven to earth.” Jesus made a way!! Because of His sacrifice we have been made new and blessed access to our Creator, the Author and Sustainer of our lives. Grab that flag and shout it from the rooftops!

4. Shelley Krupa says:

This lesson is so encouraging…I agree to all the comments here and that it makes me want to shout out “Hallelujah, He restored my soul!”

I think of the song by Citizen Way and am so thankful for the truths in the scripture reading and today’s devotional thoughts…and the lyrics in this song…

“Yea though I walk through the valley…
    I know that You are always right beside me
    And I will fear no evil
    You’re my rock
    And my strength
    You comfort me

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
    I hear You singing over me
    I once was lost but now I’m found
    And it’s beautiful
    Amazing grace how sweet the sound
    It covers every part of me
    My soul is silent
    I am found
    And it’s a beautiful sound

You carry me through the waters
    Where Your peace clears away all my sorrow
    And nothing can separate us from Your love
    Oh, Your love it will always be

You were healing in the pain
    You were shelter in the storm
    Hallelujah You restore my soul

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
    It covers every part of me
    My soul is silent
    I am found
    And it’s a beautiful sound!!!

Thank you Jesus, for rescuing us…our sweet and great High Priest!

1. I love this, Shelley! Thanks for sharing encouragement today!

xoxo-Kaitlin for She Reads Truth

5. Ashley S. says:

Its very reassuring knowing that Jesus WILL come back one day & that makes living for Christ easier! I appreciate the breakdowns b/c Hebrews is hard to understand!

6. Hesaved83 says:

@Z-Girl, to sum my comment to your question briefly. I believe the rock symbolism represents hardened hearts but once Jesus died “finished it” now it’s possible for us (believers) to change to softened hearts.

1. Z-girl says:

Oh ok that seems to make a bit of sense…thanks for sharing