a better covenant

from the reading plan

Hebrews 8:1-13

BY Debbie Eaton

Text: Hebrews 8:1-13

“I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.”
– Hebrews 8:10

Imagine being one of the 12 disciples sitting at the Last Supper table with Jesus, enjoying food and fellowship. The conversation is rich with the tradition of the Passover and what it meant to be Jewish — the Mosaic Law entrenched and lived out in the culture of the day.

These 12 men had spent close to three years watching Jesus contend with the law and challenge those who implemented the law. And here they sat together, unaware of what was going to be said next and the ramifications of it — that soon a new covenant, a superior covenant would be ushered in, making the old obsolete.

Jesus broke bread and said, “‘Take and eat; this is my body.’ Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them saying, ‘Drink from it all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.’” (Matthew 26:27-28)

Did the disciples look at each other and say, “What?” Did they have any idea what was to come?

Then there came the unthinkable reality — betrayal, arrest, declared guilty, hung in the gap of heaven and hell. Death. The curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook. Silence.

Then… an empty tomb.
Can you imagine?

God’s supernatural power and perfect plan shifted the old, external covenant to an internal and eternal new covenant. The prophetic words of Jeremiah came true — “I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:33, Hebrews 8:10)

A new covenant means new day — a day where the spirit of God lives in us.

Jesus himself engraves His love on our hearts. He places His Spirit in us so we can choose to live out His better plan. When we abide in Him, our mind, heart and soul are changed forever.

God’s thread of grace transcends time.

From creation, to the fall of Adam and Eve, to His birth, death and resurrection – God’s hope for humanity is filled with grace, mercy and unfailing love.

When my son was four years old and asked me one Good Friday, “Mom, why is it called Good Friday when it was a bad day for Jesus?” I could lovingly say it was a great day for mankind. God’s plan for grace, forgiveness and redemption was fulfilled in a new and more superior covenant with His people.

“What this new covenant does is implant into the heart of a man a new nature, impelling him to act righteously. No longer is his conduct directed by an exterior law but by the law of Christ within him.” – AW Tozer

How is God engraving grace on your heart today?

74 thoughts on "a better covenant"

1. Rebecca says:

12 “For I will be merciful to their iniquities,
    And I will remember their sins no more.”

Gracious love; The Lord knows my weaknesses, knows I could not follow the “old law” and do He provided a way, Christ.
    I love what He reminds me here;
    “I am full of mercy, and have no clue what your sins are!” It is SO hard for me to forgive myself; yet once I lay my sins at the feet of the Father & ask His forgiveness – He does not remember them!!!
    So, How is God engraving grace on my heart today?
    To stop & Receive His grace.
    {He longs to be gracious to me (Isaiah 30:18)}
    And then rest in confidence that my weaknesses are known, & my sins forgotten!
    {the work of righteousness will be peace, and the service of righteousness quietness and confidence forever (Isaiah 32:17)}

2. stinav96 says:

I know I'm a day behind (as I have been this entire study), but I simply wanted to share how I have experienced grace this week. My kids went 12+ hours away to spend a week with my parents last week (one experience of grace), so I could get our home cleaned up in anticipation of kicking the 2014/15 homeschool year into high gear this week (another grace… the call and freedom to homeschool). I knew this week would be met with a lot of resistance after the great time the kids had last week. However, it has only taken a reminder here and there about their attitudes to turn things around (grace!). We begin our day with Casting Crown's song, "Thrive," because it embodies our purpose in homeschooling. In fact, "To Know God and to Make Him Known" is the basic mission statement of the curriculum group we have been a part of for, now, going on 4 years. I've lashed out a few times, but have quickly apologized, and we have moved on. I'm not staying frustrated all day (as several instances of resistance throughout our day would often have left me for the rest of the day before). And the kids are willingly (most of the time) helping me keep the house cleaned up! Grace, grace, and more grace! And all based on an new, internal covenant, not one of doing everything exactly right to appease a God who might "zap" us for doing things wrongly. Thank you, God, for how you are growing my children and me. Hold us fast in our confession and faith in you. In Jesus' Name.

1. Joyjoythomas says:

I too am a day behind and have been all study. I’m thankful for your practical examples and testimony of GRACE. I sometime struggle with making the theological practical so this is great for
      Me to read! Although I don’t homeschool (I have many friends who do!) I understand your feelings at least a bit and am RIGHt with you about the attitudes when they come back from a week at “super” grandparents’ house. (What am I chopped liver??!) I feel led to pray for you and this start of your school year! So inspired by your seeing the positive and giving glory to Christ! We are startin at a brand new school where we know no one and I feel a bit overwhelmed by a long commute with a 2 yr old and forms I haven’t filled out right that I am called out for and kids’
      attitudes. I think it’s a wonderful place and I want to focus on that and on Gods grace as you did! So here goes a new day right? Praise that His mercies to me are new every morning.

2. SUCH grace! So thankful God is loving on you so much this week! Praying for you as you start school!

xoxo-Kaitlin for She Reads Truth

3. sim says:

Hi I was curious what expertise one must have to be able to take on translation and interpretation of the Bible? Is your page based on personal interpretations or based upon theological and dogmatic works? Who gives you the right to translate "new convent" as "new day"? New convent can be a new nation, such as was promised to Abraham peace be upon him, that will come from the offspring of his son Ishmael; new convent can be a new testament such as was sent to the last prophet that rectified all the heresies and laws that people added or took from the Torah and Bible…and yes, its new laws are written in those people minds and hearts…There's no greater truth and love and mercy for mankind than it was sent in the last testament, the Holy Quran…
    So my concern about this site is that you might practice blasphemy by associating partners with God, worshipping Jesus, peace be upon him, more than our Creator, and innovating words on behalf of Jesus' actual message.
    May God guide us to the straight path.
    Peace to all!

4. LoveHimso says:

As I really…… really consider the concept of grace I am often speechless. I cannot ponder on this without becoming emotional. I am going through one of the most difficult times of my life but I hold on to this grace. Some days I think. Can I really make it? And then I remember this grace and how He loves me despite of myself. How loving and gentle He is with me. I think about how long He has waited for me. How patience He was when I tried to do things my way. Not once did He chastise me for not listening and choosing His plan. In fact, isn’t amazing He still Loves me. What else can I say? I love Him … I really really love Him.

5. Karen says:

Thanking my Heavenly Father for his Grace…prayers requested.

1. Praying for you, sister!! We love having you here!

xoxo-Kaitlin for She Reads Truth

6. Ashley S. says:

His grace sustains me. Even though I feel like giving up I’m going to keep holding on & having faith.

7. Melody says:

God's grace transcends time. Time is logical. God's grace is not. It defies logic as He pours it out when I least deserve it.

How is God engraving grace on my heart today? Well, it was my first day with students. The first day if my 11th year teaching middle school. He engraved grace on my heart by giving me rest last night (after several restless nights). He gave me hope and positivity and energy where it was previously lacking (I haven't been 100% looking forward to the start if this school year for a lot of reasons). A new hire who teaches one class in my room saw one of my SRT memory cards taped to my computer and shared with me that she is a Christian and asked if she could join my family at church since she is new to the area. My OB appointment today (baby 3) showed that our daughter continues to grow and develop healthily. So much grace. So much for which to be thankful. God is so good.

8. Trina says:

“I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:33, Hebrews 8:10)—I remember hearing someone speak of why God wrote his word ON our hearts instead of IN it? And there is the idea that maybe its because when our hearts break HE can spill into our hearts. This message today reminds me that through my storms when my heart broke God filled it. I will never be more thankful for all that I have been through to change my relationship with Jesus Christ. She Reads Truth has been a blessing and thank you for all of the women who make this possible!!