food for the soul

from the reading plan

Hebrews 5:11-6:20

BY Diana Stone

Text: Hebrews 5:11-14, 6:1-20

“Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity…”
– Hebrews 6:1, NIV

“Holding back from such (spiritual) learning, perhaps with a false humility of ‘I’m not good at understanding these things’ when we really mean ‘I can’t be bothered to try’, is a way of saying that we want to remain spiritual babies.”
– NT Wright

When my son passed away at 3 weeks old last August, my faith was shaken to the core. Yet, in the midst of the anger, confusion, and feelings of betrayal, there was also the desperation of clinging to the only One who could make peace with this all. I wanted to understand just a little more of the plan through the pain, although I’ll never know it all this side of heaven.

In the midst of the longing was a hesitation and questioning of why? Why would I need to read the Bible, pray for wisdom, study His Word? I’d been through the delivery and loss of three of my children and came out believing in God — wasn’t that enough?

Oh, friends. As I look back now, I shudder to think how close Satan came to taking me on a detour from the Truth to my own self righteousness.

Thankfully, it is God’s grip on me — not my feeble grip on Him — that keeps me safe in the fold of His love. Nancy Guthrie says it well: “If your faith is real, you will not fall away. Not because you are strong or because your faith is strong but because God has his firm grip on you and he will not let go. You will remain in him because you are his forever.”

As Christians, we need to be in the Word. Often. We need godly men and women to teach us. We need to get on our knees and pray that God would reveal more of Himself and His plan through our study of His Word. Not because we have to, but because we want to. When you love someone, you want to get to know them. This is how it is with our Creator.

God’s relationship with us deepens and unfolds through the Bible.

There are times studying the Bible makes my head spin, or ignites anger over something my humanity feels God should not have allowed. I often leave feeling convicted or challenged. This is good! These feelings mean that God is at work in my life and my relationship with Him is growing, no matter how slowly it may seem.

We need to be know God’s Word so we can to stand firm in adversity and recognize our sin. We need to read His promises and remember that our hope in Him is sure and steadfast. We need scripture to help us move forward in the faith, knowing we are anchored to the One who will not change.

Praise God that we are able to seek and find His face through His Word!

7_box

102 thoughts on "food for the soul"

1. savoieneal says:

I will make sure that I can as I train myself to desire it more than other things that surround me. Our God has been my desire through it all but I am so prone to distraction and self pity. The battle is on and I am so glad to know Jesus is the victorious One who loves me, weaknesses and all.
    best food dehydrator reviews

2. Lauren S says:

I truly love this passage. It is so comforting to know that when we are weak God keeps his stronghold on us. Our faith is secure when we put our faith in Him. I’m so thankful for my anchor in Christ ⚓️

3. Kate says:

Far too often I find myself choosing things of the world over time spent growing my relationship with God through His Word. I become satisfied with milk, instead of solid food. During those times it feels like work to open the Bible up again – not something I want to do – but once I do, I am always revived, and convicted. I am encouraged that God’s grip on me never changes, but don’t want to use that as an excuse to be lazy. God, would you make my heart a soft land that drinks in and loves your Word, and as a result produces a crop that is useful for the building of Your kingdom and the glory of Your name?

4. b11n11 says:

“Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.” I love this, because as a Christian not yet on solid food, I would see this as a promise to satisfy the needs of me as the farmer. Why not? It says here that I’m doing all the work. And yet in all reality I’m drinking in the truths of God for the benefit of His work for all nations to bring themselves and thus their worship to Him. The blessing is that it gets to pass through my lips, be seen by my eyes, be heard with my ears, and be received by my faith and His grip on me, not mine on Him. AND it gets better. “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.” The waters can rise as I drink in truth because I’m anchored in Him, an intermingling of a promise and an oath allows me into the inner sanctuary. He swore by himself with none high than He. I am His forever love and He delights in me as I delight in Him. Not because of my delight but simultaneous delight being one with Christ.

5. Mamaherdman says:

So glad that God gas a grip on me!

6. Laura says:

What a wonderful lesson. When we realize that it is not in our earthly attempts that we reach God, but in His pursuit of us, we are free.

7. Stephanie says:

This entry is so symbolic for me in what is happening in my life. God was calling me all summer to become a more mature Christian and I was ignoring it because I was too “busy” with my new baby and family vacations. In the last few weeks though I have been reminded of how much I need to be in the word in order to get closer to him and my period of having just milk is over, just like it is for my daughter as I prepare to give her food for the 1st time this weekend. It just shows me that my relationship with Him should be ever changing and maturing, just like our kids change and mature everyday.

8. Paige says:

Nancy Gutherie’s quote is great. Comforting & true.