listen up!

from the reading plan

Hebrews 3:1-18, Psalm 95:1-11

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Hebrews 3:1-18, Psalm 95:1-11

“Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness…”
– Hebrews 3:8-9

We can read in Scripture that a hard heart will bring you much pain. We see that a hard heart will darken our understanding and alienate us from a life of God (Ephesians 4:18). In the wisdom book of Proverbs, we read that a hard heart will bring calamity in our lives (Proverbs 28:13-14).

We can read in many stories, from the Pharaoh to the prophet Isaiah, that a hardened heart makes it difficult to really hear and really see what God is doing. A hard heart scrambles our understanding of heavenly happenings. It seems to almost bind our minds to the fallen ways of the world. I know in my own life, when my mind is bound to what is earthly, I am filled with worry.

Oswald Chambers says, “Don’t take the pressure of forethought upon yourself. It is not only wrong to worry, it is infidelity, because worrying means that we do not think that God can look after the practical details of our lives, and it is never anything else that worries us. Have you ever noticed what Jesus said would choke the word He puts in? The devil? No, the cares of this world. It is the little worries always. I will not trust where I cannot see. That is where infidelity begins. The only cure for infidelity is obedience to the Spirit.

To be obedient to the Spirit we must have eyes that can see and ears that can hear. In this Hebrews passage, we are told that we ought not have an unbelieving heart but hold true to our original confidence. We need to cling to the Good News of Jesus that we believed in the beginning of our faith journey.

When we first believed in Jesus, it was because He changed our heart of stone into a pliable heart of flesh.
We surrendered our rock-hard souls and allowed Him to make a heavenly exchange on our behalf.
When we first believed, we had confidence in His power and authority to make such a daring switch.

We must not desire to reverse this redemptive process and exchange the new spiritual heart we were given. We must not allow ourselves to seek out our old, hard heart that had no spiritual understanding at all. In doing so, we would rebel against Jesus and forfeit His good gifts for us.

Let’s keep soft hearts, friends. Let’s keep listening —really listening— to God the Father, and really seeing the work He is doing in us and around us. His Word promises that He is always working, that His Spirit is working on our behalf, and that we need to abide in Him.

If we abide in Him, we will find rest.

3 app_post_banner

136 thoughts on "listen up!"

1. ed sherran says:

Director Neil Burger (“The Illusionist”) tries to hit multiple genres and only has mild success with each.

2. Cindy Marshall says:

Thanks so much, Hayley, for speaking the truth so eloquently! The connection between a hardened heart and worry was something I hadn’t considered – very convicting.

3. Angela says:

When I read v. 12 where it says ‘unbelief’, I asked myself what unbelief it was. Cross-reference to Numbers, it was about the entering of the promise land, where God accused the children of Israel of not believing Him even after they repeatedly tested Him; not believing that He was good enough to give them a land flowing with milk and honey. All they could see was what they thought was the ‘catch’ – the giants. If God gave anything, there must be a catch somewhere. Then Moses appealed to God’s mercy, clearly knowing more about God than the children of Israel. No wonder it is said in Psalms 103:7 : He made known His WAYS to Moses, His ACTS to the children of Israel. (Emphasis mine).

If we hold fast to ‘the beginning of our confidence to the end’ (v. 14), believing that God is a good God who gave His Son to save us, and set us free by His work (make propitiation for our sins), then we can rest. Rest from trying to earn our salvation by our own strength.

4. Laura says:

Sometimes is just hard to fully trust in the Lord specially when you don’t understand the circumstances. It is easy to harden our hearts and pretend that everything is okay. Hardening is not just be angry or mad. The way we harden our hearts could be isolation and false joy. When those two are combined the result is catastrophic, we enter in a place where we don’t think we need help because we feel “good”.
    Trusting in the lord in those hard moments will shape our faith and our perspective. It will take us to a level we’ve never been before, of course is easy to say, but really hard to apply. This devotion helped me to realize that, specially in the hardship I’m experiencing right now. I want to be faithful to God and trust him even though I don’t understand. He definitely knows better, he can see the whole picture so why not to trust him?

5. Leia says:

Enter into His rest…. That is my hope & that is where I find my strength.

6. Stephanie says:

Some days my belief is stronger than others. What’s hard for me is that there is no glamour in trying to regain that faith. Just the constant prayer, “lord, help my unbelief. ” and a lot of days you feel nothing and just have to keep pushing through and do it all over again.