walk humbly

from the Justice reading plan

1 John 2:1-6, 1 Corinthians 10:24, Philippians 2:1-11

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: 1 John 2:1-6, 1 Corinthians 10:24, Philippians 2:1-11

“Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.”
– 1 Corinthians 10:24

When we drink in the goodness of grace upon salvation and every day after that, we are no longer in debt to sin but are uniquely bonded to Christ forever. It is said that collectively we are the hands and feet of Christ, the very body that can carry out His desires on Earth.

When we humble ourselves before the Lord, we recognize that our own life is gone and we are bonded and risen with Christ. If we stay in step (walk humbly) with Him, we’ll know His heart and come to discern what makes it beat faster.

This world is broken with sin. It is evident in every facet of life, bringing forth everything from poverty to pride, from violence and vengeance to apathy and indifference. Sin causes rifts in relationships. Sin is always a break in the way God intended the world to be.

Tim Keller writes about a beautiful concept of “reweaving shalom” in his book Generous Justice. If we look at the tapestry of life, we can see there are threads that are broken. We can see the beauty of the whole has been compromised in places, worn out, torn through, frayed.

But shalom, it is peace times infinity.It is the powerful and holy peace that comes from God, from His power and in His grace. As believers, we have access to this shalom through the Holy Spirit and we can begin to repair the fabric of life in His name.

Keller writes about the gifts we have been given— our time, resources, and power. When we have a right view of God and ourselves, we know these gifts are evidence of a gracious Giver not our own goodness. So, we can humbly use our time, resources, and places of authority or influence to strengthen and restore the fabric of life for others.

When we are acting out of step with God, these gifts can become idols in themselves. But, when we walk humbly with Him, we see that we can use these gifts to make things right here on Earth. To be the hands and feet of Christ and begin to reweave shalom in the fabric of our communities is an exciting gift in itself!

“Reweaving shalom means to sacrificially thread, lace, and press your time, goods, power, and resources into the lives and needs of others” (Tim Keller, Generous Justice). We can be part of making the whole fabric of life stronger and more beautiful by using the gifts He has given us.

We learn how to use those gifts by walking humbly with Him.

We want to live we'll, but our foremost efforts should be to help others live well.

app post banner

48 thoughts on "walk humbly"

1. Kerri Gene says:

Has anyone ever felt like the more you give of yourself the more you get trampled on by those same people you helped? Time and time again we help those in need and these are the same people who want nothing to do with Jesus Christ. I guess it saddens me to live in a world that wants to live like the world when Jesus has told His children.. Be not of this world. Can someone help me understand this?

1. Megan says:

Kerri, I completely understand your frustration. I once heard godly success described as obedience. Regardless if we see fruit (of conversion, or gratitude), we are called to love. Love is sacrifice, & difficult at times. I’m encouraged by Christ’s love for me & can cling on to that when I don’t understand the world we live in. Jesus knows your heart & the hearts of those He has called you to love. He does the work.

2. loveHimso says:

We can be part of making the whole fabric of life stronger and more beautiful by using the gifts He has given us…All of us have been created with different and unique gifts. What the world would look like if each one of us utilized that gift to expand the kingdom of God.

3. Caroline says:

Praise to Our Father and Our Lord Jesus Christ! Through His Spirit the tapestry of my life has been repairing this very week. Today's text verified what has been taking place and it will do the same for us all. How good to share and be energized and strengthened with you all. Thank you SRT and Andrea for your scars & victory comment of what God brought us through. So true…

4. erinrae08 says:

Thank you Tracy! I am also a teacher. May we pray that our humbleness comes out in the work place.

5. Robbie says:

What an honor to assist with repairing our broken, sin-filled world. I love the being called thread to help stitch things back together. As the hands and feet of Christ gives me a greater sense of his love for me. Micah 6:8 states God has showed us what it good. What does he require of you? Seek justice, constantly love, and walk humbly with our Father!! Great perspective! While we were yet sinners, God choose us to assist with stitching others together….Can you image being used in your own sin to help others? God does!! I am so grateful for that!! Blessings sisters!!

6. Sometimes I feel like I waste the gifts God has given me. I feel blessed by the gifts I have yet don't always share them in a way that I think God would be proud of…or get caught up in them in a way that puts distance between me and God. Today was a great reminder to use my gifts in a way that helps "strengthen and restore the fabric of life for others" and trust that He will guide me in doing that.

"We can be part of making the whole fabric of life stronger and more beautiful by using the gifts He has given us. We learn how to use those gifts by walking humbly with Him."

7. sarahisme says:

This study has been so convicting not just about seeking justice but about learning to put self aside. I think of how often I’ve contemplated our man made justice systems and how hard it is for humans to enact justice because we are simultaneously influenced by our own self centric views and experiences. What an amazing thing to learn through Christ to be selfless so we can seek justice and mercy in the broken places.

1. TwinTalesMom says:

Yes! Beautifully put.

8. Sometimes I get so caught up in managing my own sin and using it as an excuse in not being able to help others because I have to get myself together first. But between this study and sermon on the mount God is showing me that because we are free from sin we are free to walk in love, justice and mercy without worrying about being perfect ourselves because Jesus already took all of that up for us. I have got to stop using my sin as the excuse, Jesus died so we can freely do this. I just always feel so inadequate myself. But that’s the beauty of the cross