from the inside out

from the from the inside out reading plan

Matthew 7:15-23, Galatians 5:22-23

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Matthew 7:15-23, Galatians 5:22-23

“You will recognize them by their fruits.”
– Matthew 7:16a

I love when Scripture gives us a good gardening metaphor. When the parable turns to something green and rooted in the ground, I’m all ears and ready to learn.

This bit of Scripture begins with trees. We are told about healthy trees and trees that have been affected by disease. We are reminded that just like a cherry tree cannot bear apples, neither can a sick tree bear healthy fruit.

A healthy tree bears healthy fruit. That’s what we’re always looking for. We’re looking for a tree that has been pruned, watered, and uncompromised by disease. We want the Spirit to grow that fruit beautifully and healthily.

But, sometimes we find the opposite. Sometimes, we find a tree where the fruit is rotting on the branch. The tree has been ill, or perhaps succumbed to thistles and weeds which choke out any hope of fruit.

We know the Spirit of God bears the fruit in our lives if we are followers of Christ. We are known to belong to our Lord by the fruits that we bear. Do our lives show a pattern of love, joy or kindness? Are your days marked by peace, patience, and gentleness? Is my life heavy with self-control, faithfulness, and goodness?

This is how we will know if we are His—we will bear His fruit.

By His goodness, a good tree will bear good fruit.

112 thoughts on "from the inside out"

1. Steph says:

Mmmmhmm that’s some good fruit! Encouraged to stay abiding in Christ. And encouraged by the fact that he takes up residence in our lives. As much as we take residence in His amazing life that’s always dancing…father son and Holy Spirit. Love how the fruit isn’t about behavior modification….but just as fruit comes from a tree. It is actually what comes from our being. In who We are in Christ!!!

2. Julie says:

One of my favorite things about our Father is that he shows is our family through the signs of these fruits in their lives even without knowing their name. I ran into a lady at the market place the other day and an immediate recognition happened. I did not know her from Adam and Although she did not tell me Who she followed directly due to having to be careful about communication in this area, God’s love was evident in her. We exchanged information and I later found out that she was my sister in Christ. God provides encouragement from the fruit in our lives to one another!

3. Carri says:

Laura, these verses are talking about fakers. They may have gone through all the motions, but their heart was never really in it. Or they just say they accept Christ so they’ve covered all their bases and will go to heaven. God knows our hearts better than we do. The idea behind these verses is that if you truly believe, then the Holy Spirit will begin to change you. If you aren’t sure, ask God to search your heart and reveal where you can grow and how to do that. You’re already on a great path doing these studies! Anytime we question or are unsure, ask Him and He will always answer. Matthew 7:7. It’s not the outward appearance, but the attitude and health of the heart. I’m praying for you now

1. Laura says:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your words of wisdom and your prayers.

4. Laura says:

I’ve been struggling with these verses a lot lately. I feel like I bear no fruit and do not spiritual grow as the years go by but I genuinely feel that I believe and have been saved. But I keep hearing about the verses talking about how some people just think they are saved, but if they never grow or produce fruit they are not. It really scares me to be honest and I am just exhausted of worrying about it. I want to be closer to God and have a close relationship with Him but I just feel like even when I’m in the Word everyday and praying there is not a great change in my character. I welcome thoughts or advice.

1. Carly says:

Hey Laura, I don’t know if I will be helpful at all, but I can share a bit of what I have experienced. When I was younger I was connected to God- I prayed, I went to church, read my Bible and tried to grow my relationship with Him. It didn’t get very far…not until I decided to make God my whole life. God is not just in those moments when we try to connect with Him, he is in every moment of our lives. My life is His and I enter everyday knowing that my purpose is to serve Him and to love His people. This isn’t always easy-breezy, and sometimes I still feel that disconnect. I have found that what has helped the most is surrounding myself with other followers- immersing myself in my church, volunteering with and spending time with people who are in the local mission field, going to bible studies, and simply choosing to spend time with my Christian friends!

Anyway, I’ve been there! long short, I pray each day for God to use me for His will and try to live as if He is.

5. Paige says:

This was a timely word!

6. Morgan says:

—”Do our lives show a pattern of love, joy or kindness? Are your days marked by peace, patience, and gentleness? Is my life heavy with self-control, faithfulness, and goodness?”—
    I love how she says “is my life heavy” with these things.. Such a reflection of how God’s burden is light and His yoke is easy. Too often words like “burden” or “overwhelming” have a negative connotation with them. But our God promises that He is good and He wants good things for His children. Including, “burdens” that we take on as a Christ-follower.
    I have this running joke were I will tell some of my friends “Eat the fruit!” if they are ever going through a rough time. I’m just so thankful to serve a God who loves us enough to pull us up to a table and gives us the freedom, through Jesus, to feast on His GOOD things.

7. Michelle says:

I really love this Galatians verse — “against such things there is no law.” There is such freedom in bearing the fruits of the spirit. For a long time (and still sometimes today) I struggle thinking that if I follow Jesus, then I need to make myself patient, and kind, and loving or at least act like I do. But that isn’t freedom! Only God can make us healthy and only that is by His spirit. I want to make myself good by my own strength but I can’t. But God can! He is love, joy, peace, etc. Let’s seek Him!

1. MsDanieNicole says:

Amen!

2. Amen, Michelle! Love this! Thanks for joining us!

xoxo-Kaitlin for She Reads Truth

3. Kat W. says:

This was a good reminder to not see this as a list which we must obtain. Seeking God to make the changes FOR us is the only way to get the freedom. Sometimes I get nervous wondering what if I am letting him down or not being as good as I ought to, but wouldn’t he rather I approach the throne than toil over it?

1. Paige says: