from the inside out

from the from the inside out reading plan

Matthew 7:15-23, Galatians 5:22-23

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Matthew 7:15-23, Galatians 5:22-23

“You will recognize them by their fruits.”
– Matthew 7:16a

I love when Scripture gives us a good gardening metaphor. When the parable turns to something green and rooted in the ground, I’m all ears and ready to learn.

This bit of Scripture begins with trees. We are told about healthy trees and trees that have been affected by disease. We are reminded that just like a cherry tree cannot bear apples, neither can a sick tree bear healthy fruit.

A healthy tree bears healthy fruit. That’s what we’re always looking for. We’re looking for a tree that has been pruned, watered, and uncompromised by disease. We want the Spirit to grow that fruit beautifully and healthily.

But, sometimes we find the opposite. Sometimes, we find a tree where the fruit is rotting on the branch. The tree has been ill, or perhaps succumbed to thistles and weeds which choke out any hope of fruit.

We know the Spirit of God bears the fruit in our lives if we are followers of Christ. We are known to belong to our Lord by the fruits that we bear. Do our lives show a pattern of love, joy or kindness? Are your days marked by peace, patience, and gentleness? Is my life heavy with self-control, faithfulness, and goodness?

This is how we will know if we are His—we will bear His fruit.

By His goodness, a good tree will bear good fruit.

112 thoughts on "from the inside out"

1. Holly says:

Thank you Kim for your prayer! Just what I needed to read.

2. Jasmine says:

Such a great read this morning!! Timing was perfect and really opened my eyes! God is great!!

3. Cassady Hyde says:

Great one to share with friends.

4. Priscilla says:

Good one. Hits home for me.

5. Kim S says:

These words seem so harsh and my mind immediately goes to the obvious bad guys. But reading closer, these are warnings against the self righteous. The less obvious bad guys. In today’s age of social media, it is so easy to create a beautiful exterior but leave the insides ugly. Lord, please gently help me redecorate my interior. It’s cluttered with non-essentials and full of ugly thoughts and feelings. Let me love as you love so I can bear good fruit.

1. Jessica says:

Love this Kim! Your prayer is perfectly beautiful…

2. Nia says:

This is good! Thank you sharing this reminder we ALL need

6. Kylee says:

This study has helped me so much more than I could have hoped for!! Such simple truths but the ones I always forget to practice- the ones that make us all more like Him. My walk with Christ isn’t something that should be reserved for my quiet time or just when I feel like it. These verses helped me see that the walk is daily & in all aspects I should adapt my actions to His perfect ways Christ needs to be the center of everything in my life, not just when I choose to seek him! Thank you, #shereadstruth!