what do you wish?

from the what do you wish? reading plan

Matthew 7:12-14

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Matthew 7:12-14

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them…”
– Matthew 7:12a

I think most of the time we have ourselves pretty well figured out. I was raised in a generation where we were challenged to stand up for our rights, to not be trodden on, and to not be taken advantage of. I am used to holding my own and fighting for myself.

But, in some ways this is antithetical to Scripture where we are challenged to think of others as better than ourselves. We are asked to die to ourselves every day, every moment. We are supposed to humble ourselves, because those laid low inherit the Kingdom.

What if we enacted the Golden Rule in our churches, neighborhoods, and homes? What if we really and truly treated others the way we wished to be treated? What if we thought more of them than we did ourselves? Wouldn’t it take an earth-shifting change of thought and action?

This rule is a simple one to govern your life by, but it is not easy. Our flesh cries out to be seen and heard and understood. We’d have to die to all of that. We’d need to look first to the other person’s needs. We’d seek to see, we’d seek to hear, and we’d seek to understand. We may seek to clothe, to shelter, to feed.

What we know is that Jesus laid down His very own life for us. He died a painful, unjust, and humiliating death so that we would have life with the Father. Jesus so desired for us to be connected with His Father because He was connected with the Father. Jesus saw our need and met it in the most extravagant way—He reconnected us with God.

What needs do you wish someone would take time to notice and address in your life? How do you wish others would treat you, speak to you, regard you?

What can we do for others today that we wish someone would do for us?

91 thoughts on "what do you wish?"

1. Liz says:

Sometimes I need people to get in my mess with me. Wage war against the enemy with me. Risk me getting mad at them for trying to get too close. And that jn turn is what the Lord is showing me it’s time to do with a family member in crisis. Give her the attention and fight for her like I would want someone to fight for me.

2. Krystal says:

What do I need to do to take initiative in doing something that I would appreciate for someone else today? How can I model this “golden rule” for my 2 year old daughter? Lord, please show me how to do this today.

3. Mikaela Renae says:

The Golden Rule has been taught to us since preschool. What makes it new for me today is the idea of taking the initiative to do those things you wish others would do for you! Not just avoiding conflicts as we were told this rule was meant for in school, but turning it into a selfless act to show others that you care for them and that we as Christians are different.

4. Kim S says:

I deeply wish others would see me and all of us as divinely created and imaged in God. The world leaves me in despair as we create hierarchies of humanity leaving people out and treated them as less. My heart hurts because I don’t know what kind of world my sons are growing into. Will it be a world of love and grace or a world more divided? Lord, please let me see your Divine Spark in each person I encounter and love them as you love them.

5. “Lord, may I live to serve others, just as You did!!”
    What a challenging devo as we seek service and not self. I know I need to get out my “towel” of service and “wash some feet” this week…and become a servant as Jesus was.

6. Michelle Myers says:

This devotional has been really difficult for me. I tend to think that putting others before myself is one of my strengths. Now obviously I’m not perfect at it, but there are things I’m worse at. I’m a dancer, therefore people expect me to always want attention, but unless I’m on stage, I don’t. I don’t like talking in big groups, I don’t like being complimented, and I usually give credit to everyone but myself.
    I guess the point I’m trying to get at here is more of a question. Is every devotional supposed to teach me something? And if so, then am I completely missing the point of this passage? I don’t know of anyone will see this, but if you do and you have an answer, I’d love to hear it.

1. Kortney says:

Hi Michelle! You won’t always get something out of this. This is a guide. A tool. If you think you have this one in a good place, consider asking God if he agrees. As I read this, I felt very similar. I am a worship leader, but I spend most of my time supporting my husband’s dream of having a car dealership (I sit here M-F keeping the doors open while he works at his other job.). I take care of my three kids. I reach out to and check on my team members and others that I think of that need encouragement or support. I take the back seat on stage often to allow others to grow in their leadership abilities. And so on. I’ve always lead towards serving type jobs (waitress, therapy assistant, special needs teacher assistant, secretary, aide, etc.). I read this and was so proud of how well I did this. I suddenly realized how I insist my oldest listen to me, my word is final, my way is correct. I realized how if it doesn’t fit into my plan (I like organization) then I get upset, or start feeling sorry for myself. My heart isn’t 100% in it, or I think “how does this benefit me”? So I guess what I’m saying is that there may still be something her for you to learn and grow from, but if not, that’s okay, too! Tomorrow might hit in exactly what you need to hear! In fact, I think a lot of people assume that if they aren’t learning something every week, or the message on Sunday doesn’t speak the them specifically, they need a new church. God has a lot of ways to speak to us, and it isn’t the same way every time. Our job is to seek first His Kingdom. He will show you as you go. But we need to put the effort in and realize the message may be less than the obvious one being addresses. I rambled. Sorry. Does that help at all?

7. Maria says:

I love this app, inspires me to live through God every day!