what do you wish?

from the what do you wish? reading plan

Matthew 7:12-14

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Matthew 7:12-14

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them…”
– Matthew 7:12a

I think most of the time we have ourselves pretty well figured out. I was raised in a generation where we were challenged to stand up for our rights, to not be trodden on, and to not be taken advantage of. I am used to holding my own and fighting for myself.

But, in some ways this is antithetical to Scripture where we are challenged to think of others as better than ourselves. We are asked to die to ourselves every day, every moment. We are supposed to humble ourselves, because those laid low inherit the Kingdom.

What if we enacted the Golden Rule in our churches, neighborhoods, and homes? What if we really and truly treated others the way we wished to be treated? What if we thought more of them than we did ourselves? Wouldn’t it take an earth-shifting change of thought and action?

This rule is a simple one to govern your life by, but it is not easy. Our flesh cries out to be seen and heard and understood. We’d have to die to all of that. We’d need to look first to the other person’s needs. We’d seek to see, we’d seek to hear, and we’d seek to understand. We may seek to clothe, to shelter, to feed.

What we know is that Jesus laid down His very own life for us. He died a painful, unjust, and humiliating death so that we would have life with the Father. Jesus so desired for us to be connected with His Father because He was connected with the Father. Jesus saw our need and met it in the most extravagant way—He reconnected us with God.

What needs do you wish someone would take time to notice and address in your life? How do you wish others would treat you, speak to you, regard you?

What can we do for others today that we wish someone would do for us?

91 thoughts on "what do you wish?"

1. Paige Petron says:

I’ve been thinking a lot of this dream I had. It was of a homeless man and I and I brought him somewhere to have lunch and he kept saying “You don’t have to eat with me. You don’t have to be seen with me.” People stared and gawked at us and I said, “No! I would love to have lunch with you and who cares what people think.” It brought the man near tears in my dream and after I offered asked if he’d like to join us for dinner and he agreed and when he was over, I let him feel at home. He used the shower and we offered clothes to him…and that’s it. The dream ended but I’ve thought about it. What if I was homeless? What if everyone I knew passed me by as I begged? I love people and the dream made me happy because it was something I’d totally would do.

2. One thing I do that I wish people did to me is listen! It’s so hard for people to listen and wait until I’m finished before they start speaking. It’s disrespectful being cut off when your speaking. What the other person is telling me when they do this is that, whatever they have to say is super important and whatever I’m saying is irrelevant. I give people this respect, why can’t they give it back?

1. Andra says:

I can relate. I find myself wanting to be invited into conversations rather than told second hand what someone else has decided about me or being talked at/interrupted as you said. Its hurtful knowing that their opinion is being held to so tightly that they can’t see around it to be kind and loving toward me.

3. Angela R. says:

ShAnnon, I agree!

4. Shannon says:

I wish that this devotional addressed the “broad is the way” scripture that was also included in the reading. However I appreciated the devotion portion.

1. Amanda says:

Me too!! I kind of think she touched on it, telling of how it is easy to think for ourselves(wide path) and hard for us to put ourselves in others places(the narrow path). She definitely could’ve expanded more tho!

5. Emily says:

God, help me not to fall asleep and coast in life so that I drift through the wide open gate. Give me strength to be intentional in choosing the narrow gate.

6. Emily says:

I want someone to pick me to be their friend. I have been trying to do this for others but it’s hard. I have close friends hours away or in other states, but after seven years, still no comfortable network in my town. A few good people have moved and took community with them. It is my hearts desire to treat everyone like the precious child of God they are.

1. Katie says:

Same here, sister. Prayers for you as I pray for community in my own life

1. Megan says:

So glad to know I’m not the only person with this problem. I’ll be praying for y’all!!

2. Shesabookworm says:

Praying for you as well. Many military brats like me have this problem I’ll keep you in my prayers as well!

7. Elizabeth says:

This is just wanted I needed to hear during this Syrian Refugee crisis in America.

1. Sarah Jenik says:

I couldn’t agree more Elizabeth! I think everyone needs to hear this message now

8. Monica says:

What do I want? Prayer, people, and Christ. Ultimately that’s what it comes down to. Flipping that lens to see someone else really gives me a push and desire to give them those gifts of grace! I think all hearts desire these three things.