please and thank you

from the please and thank you reading plan

Matthew 7:7-11, Luke 11:13, Jeremiah 29:11-14, James 1:5-6

BY Raechel Myers

Text: Matthew 7:7-11, Luke 11:13, Jeremiah 29:11-14, James 1:5-6

“How much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”
– Matthew 7:11b

Last Friday night we took our kids out for dinner. (Super fun, right?) We were too stuffed for dessert, but when you go to the Cheesecake Factory and don’t order cheesecake, I’m pretty sure a puppy dies somewhere or an angel loses its wings (or, at least you save yourself the burden of burning an additional 5,000 calories the following week…). Either way, we ordered a couple of slices to-go, with a secret plan to make a fun memory with the kids later that night.

It was already super late and almost an hour past the kids’ bedtime when we rolled back into town, and my oldest (he’s seven) was getting super concerned that his fun evening was about to come to an abrupt end. (My kids are constantly reminding me of the way I behave with my Heavenly Father—like a child. It’s so stinking humbling.)

He fretted and squirmed the whole ride home, even when we told him we had something fun in mind and encouraged him to trust us—he just couldn’t. He made himself miserable worrying about the cheesecake and bedtime and whatever it is seven-year-olds worry about.

Even if you’re an adult, my guess is you can identify with this, at least a little.

The plan, however, was way better than he could have asked or imagined. Bedtime would have been a perfectly practical choice, but all along, Ryan and I planned to park in our little downtown, find a pretty place to sit, and enjoy a ridiculously late-night cheesecake feast with the kids by the light of the moon.

It was a pretty killer plan.
It was the plan all along.

Any amount of fretting and whining our kids did the whole trip home—when they were sure they were going straight to bed—didn’t change that we planned, and wanted to give them, a sweet experience—not because of their good behavior (heh), but because they’re our children, and we wanted to give them a good gift.

“If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
Luke 11:13, ESV

It’s so awesomely true. “As bad as you are… you’re at least decent to your own children.” (Matthew 7:11, MSG).

We have some pretty big ideas of how our lives should go. We feel pretty strongly about what we don’t want to happen, and we’re perfectly willing to spend our entire lives fretting and fussing and not trusting that—whatever it is—God is for us.

He wants to give us bread and fish and moonlit cheesecake picnics. (He also wants to give us appropriate bedtimes and vegetables!). Jesus knew His disciples were going to need righteousness, purity, unity, wisdom and humility and more to carry out the work that was coming, and He’s telling them (and us!), “Just ask! It’s all yours!”

He has, after all, a pretty killer plan.
And it has been His plan all along!

– Sisters, do you lack wisdom? Read James 1:5 and ASK the Father for it right now!
– Is there something else you need in order to carry out the Father’s work? Do you trust that He will equip you with every supply? Make a list of your needs and talk to God about them!

131 thoughts on "please and thank you"

1. Christina says:

There are a lot of things that we can ask God for that He will always give us without reproach: a longing to be more like Him, the desire to read His Word, the desire for more of Him, etc. When we attempt to control the outcome and “change the cards”, if you will, we are attempting to play God. Instead of God doing what we want when we want it, may we desire that God does what He wants and that we may be receptive to the call He has placed on our lives.

2. Alexandria says:

I love the acknowledgment of us behaving like children to God and how He still gives and loves us no matter what!

3. Aerianne says:

I am really struggling about my future plans. I always ask God for a sign and opportunity… But, God seems didn’t hear my prayer at all. But, this devotional is really for me. Maybe, God is preparing something for me, I often loss hope but, thanks for the reminders that He is always ‘On time’.. Right now, I am still struggling… But. I know “He works in ways we cannot see”

4. Jade says:

I’m currently going through a bout of horrible anxiety… And this devotional was the perfect thing to read. Each day I try to remind myself that God has a plan and I can trust in that plan despite my fears and anxieties. God is for me and will continue to pull me through this heavy time! He is greater and stronger!

1. Shanie says:

Thanks for sharing. I’m struggling with anxiety too.

5. Mikaela Renae says:

I remember my parents would tell me about how much deeper their faith and relationship with God grew after having children. Now I’m at the point in my life and in my faith where I’m actually a little bit jealous of that. I crave that deeper understanding with God! It gives me hope that as much as I have grown in my faith as I come into adulthood, there is more waiting for me in the future.

1. Reese says:

I’m there with you, Mikaela! I’m longing for children not only for what they will bring to my life but for how I know the Lord will use them to grow me and to show me more about how the Father loves his children. Lord Jesus, your ways are higher than our ways, your thoughts higher than our thoughts and your plans for our good..I pray for grace to remember those things as we wait on you!

6. Kim S says:

I was just having a conversation with my son about the big picture. Seems like God is trying to teach me something. It leaves me a little anxious about how He is going to teach me about the big picture. Today I pray that when the lesson comes, I can remember the big picture and trust His plan.

7. Audrey says:

Oh how we worry and get anxious. It’s hard to imagine that God has a plan for our lives that is better then any plan we could devise for our own lives. A reminder to exist in Christ and trust Him for all our needs! He hears, he knows and he will answer. Lord, asking that your good and perfect plan would be accomplished in my life. Give me wisdom to accept what seems like bumps in the road ever mindful of your great and good plan.