of moth and rust

from the of moth and rust reading plan

Matthew 6:19-24, 1 Timothy 6:10, Proverbs 4:23

BY Diana Stone

Text: Matthew 6:19-24, 1 Timothy 6:10, Proverbs 4:23

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy”
– Matthew 6:19a

Have you ever had a moment (or two) in your life that caused you to look around and think, “I just want to sell everything and move to another country. Start over, live small, help people.” Many of us have, and the extreme emotions behind those feelings usually fade in a few days. Life returns to our normal.

In those brief glimpses, we have an idea of the true value of things. We see our worldly possessions with new eyes.

Having stuff isn’t bad. A home full of memories and charming decorations isn’t a sin. It’s not that Jesus has a problem with treasure—it’s our heart toward our treasure that is the problem. “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil” (1 Tim. 6:10, emphasis mine). When we have our hearts set on that new car, those vintage collections, or another Target run (even though on the last one you wonder if you slipped into a coma on aisle 4, because how did it end up costing that much?!) — these are the desires that cause us to stumble.

When our worldly goods are a tripping point for us in our faith, it’s time to look and see where our hearts are really tuned. If you are storing up treasures on earth in hopes someone will be envious of your life—or because you’re fearful of what the future holds—Stop. Think about where your “things” will go someday. To the trash? To someone else? Maybe a Buzzfeed article called “20 Ancient Relics Once Considered Cool”?

You can’t take it to heaven.

When you die, what do you want to go with you? Tears of sorrow and rejoicing from those you loved well on earth? A content heart, knowing you’re meeting Jesus with hands open wide? If I bind up my heart and mind with money and clothing and “stuff”— is there room for Christ? We want our hearts to be bursting with Him, not our love of things.

Store your treasures up in heaven, where the rot of earth can’t destroy any of it. You may have the most beautiful car, boat or airplane in the world, but it’s going to be really tough to get it all into the funeral parlor. Once you’re in the presence of our Lord, not one of those earthly possessions will matter one bit.

238 thoughts on "of moth and rust"

1. Jen says:

This is a great reminder of what is and is not important. Reality check!!!!

2. wholesale nfl jerseys says:

of moth and rust – She Reads Truth : She Reads Truth
    wholesale nfl jerseys http://www.apartmentsexpert.com/nfl.html

3. wholesale nfl jerseys says:

of moth and rust – She Reads Truth : She Reads Truth
    wholesale nfl jerseys http://www.aurapharm.com/nfl.htm

4. Danielle Nicole says:

Clear The Stage- Jimmy Needham. This song reminds me so much of this reading. God please allow us to clear the stage for you and only you!

5. Jennifer says:

Keeping our mind on God despite earthly distractions is what I believe true faith is. Those who can turn their backs on human desires and live lives that make a difference are my spiritual role models. Perhaps one day I can have faith like theirs!

1. Liz R. says:

You can today!

6. Charlie says:

We’ve felt lead to be a single income family and it’s tough as the sacrifice is often more than earthly treasure! God blesses us and I am glad to come back to this- we can’t take it with us! Heart treasure is so much more valuable. treasures. I’m

7. Jessica says:

As Christians, we all are guilty of storing up treasures on Earth instead of preparing for eternity. This life will be over in the blink of an eye, and what will we be left with? Nothing, aside from our kingdom work. My pastor’s sermon was about this very thing last Sunday. I felt convicted as I listened because I know I spend too much time, effort, and money storing up treasures on Earth and not preparing for eternity. What really matters is how we serve the Lord, and lead others to Him. What are we doing to store up treasures in Heaven? Jesus, please help me to hear your voice as you guide me in ways to do just that. I want to be faithful to your calling in my life.

8. Ashlee says:

My favorite !!!! We get so caught up into what we want what’s the next best new thing and we forget God is what is important to us.