let my yes be yes

from the let my yes be yes reading plan

Matthew 5:31-37

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Matthew 5:31-37

“Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.”
– Matthew 5:37

Our word should be enough; we don’t need to pull the Lord’s name into any promise we’re making. In these verses we see many admonitions against taking oaths and making promises in God’s name—or the name of anything else, for that matter.

Like much of Scripture, these words can be enough to make us feel very small, insignificant even—and it’s appropriate for us to understand our smallness in light of a great, all-powerful God. These verses are basically reminding us that we have neither the authority nor the ability to speak for God, Heaven, or Earth. We don’t even have the ability to promise on our own head, because we can’t make a miniscule little hair turn black or white!

But, we also remember how significant we are to our heavenly Father. We remember that God cares so deeply for us that He makes us promises that last an eternity. His promises to us are so binding, it is clear He takes oaths very seriously! God’s promises last, they are unchanging, and they are not arrived at lightly. It makes sense that He warns us about how we make promises and forbids us to invoke His name when doing so.

Scripture tells us that we should simply give our word and that is it.

I think this is for our protection, as are so many things in Scripture. The purpose is not to make us feel insignificant, but to show how magnificent our God is. He is gracious in telling us not to consider an oath carelessly or invoke His name for something He may have no interest in. This keeps His name untarnished as well as our own.

Using the Lord’s name in vain, for our own advancement or out of a misappropriated sense of power, is nasty, unwise, and forbidden. As women who follow Jesus and rely on His daily and saving grace, let’s simply let our yes be yes and our no be no.

155 thoughts on "let my yes be yes"

1. Molly says:

So amazing how a verse can seem demanding on the surface but when you dive into it and dissect it and the verses around it and listen to what God is saying you realize how much He loves you! And how He advises these things because He is gracious and is giving us wisdom. So thankful for this devotion.

2. Jennifer says:

Imagining earth as God’s footstool is such a fantastic reminder of how small and how amazing it is that we are so loved. Of course God has authority; he’s God!

3. Molly says:

I agree Rebekah, this was an interesting take. I absolutely believe we have the authority too.

4. Charlie says:

I was wondering how to apply this to me as I don’t much make promises or oaths. I’m not a person who says “on my life I promise…” , but then I was reminded of my sons cub scouts promises, one is a ver worthy I promise to do a good deed every day. How good it is yet how burdensome when he fails. Because he will not because of anything special, but because he’s human. As a mum I made those heart promises to my babies too, to care love and always be there. All fine, today’s reading tells me gods promises are never broken, mine will ultimately fail. So as mum I see I need to give my Cub Scout son Gods promises.

5. Hassan says:

Is Jesus saying don’t get married?

1. bethany says:

no, read Genesis 2:18, 21-24. also 1 corinthians 7:1&2 and ephesians 5:23-32 talk about marriage there are more verses in the bible on the subject of marriage as well. marriage is a covenant between a man and a women before God and shouldn’t be taken lightly though.

2. Karlee says:

He is saying in verses 31-32 not to remarry once you have been divorced .

6. Camilla E says:

1. Ashlee says:

I agree 100% you’ve said this perfectly !

7. Rebeckah says:

Hmm, interesting take on this passage. I’ve always looked at it more as we should live with such integrity that out “yes” and “no” speak for themselves. Swearing on God, heaven, earth, etc. just clutters it up and jumbles the sincerity of our word.

We do have the authority of Jesus. Not on our own but because the Spirit lives inside of us. God is much greater than we are by ourselves, but the beauty is that He made a way for us to have relationship with Him and through His Spirit we have access to Him and all His resources.

8. Emily says:

I am so convicted. I often say one thing and then mean a then mean another. God is so serious about His promises to mean and I have been so foolish to just say whatever.
    Jesus forgive me! Help me to watch what I say and really let my yes be yes and my no be no.