renowned in bethlehem

from the renowned in bethlehem reading plan

Ruth 4:1-12

BY Raechel Myers

psst—If you have the Ruth study pack and you’re wondering why the title is different, don’t worry! You’re not on the wrong day, we just changed our mind post-printing. Trying to keep you on your toes. :)

___________________

Text: Ruth 4:1-12

“May you… be renowned in Bethlehem.”

So our Ruth is waiting in obedience to Naomi (I say “our Ruth” because we all feel a little bit of ownership/protection of her by now, don’t we? Maybe we see a little of ourselves in her). And Boaz is pursuing a future with Ruth through the proper channels. He respects the law, and he is demonstrating over and over that he is an honorable guy. (You are super cheering for things to play out a certain way here, aren’t you? I am!)

Boaz wants this to be legal—for the agreement to be made in plain sight, in the presence of elders. This is a particularly public scene, and it is a cornerstone in the foundation of the most public scene in Christian history.

As you read this narrative, Sisters, do you almost want to giggle with excitement or nod a knowing nod as you read? When Boaz fairly and legally earns the right to take Ruth as his wife—and as the ten elders invoke this awesome, ancient blessing for fruitfulness on their union—they say, “May the Lord make [Ruth] like Rachel and Leah, who together built up the house of Israel,” and “May you[…]be renowned in Bethlehem” (4:11).

You guys, it’s like they knew.

But seriously… if only they knew!

God reveals a peek at His awesome tapestry when we look at the bigger picture of Boaz and Ruth’s love story. We pull back the curtain and see that Ruth’s decision to follow Naomi was so much more than an address change—it is a tiny piece of God’s grand plan.

That blessing of fruitfulness would soon bring forth a son, Obed, who would be the father of Jesse. And Jesse’s son was David! (Yep, the guy who slayed Goliath, was anointed king, and wrote the Psalms). David also happens to be the direct ancestor of a Baby whose parents returned to their hometown, Bethlehem, to deliver Him in a manger—Jesus!

Renowned in Bethlehem, indeed!

Ruth and Boaz have an awesome family history of redemption. Even better, through this family tree, the Redeemer—your Redeemer—would come to buy back the World.

God used our Ruth.
He gives us a glimpse of what a Redeemer looks like, both loving and just, through Boaz.
He has redeemed you like Boaz redeemed Ruth.
Their love story is our love story.

And in the most public way possible, He redeemed us once and for all, a people for His own possession.

Sisters, go forward today like Ruth! Loved so genuinely and so incredibly by the One Who redeemed you to be His.

You are loved. And you are His.

card bundles ad

60 thoughts on "renowned in bethlehem"

1. Karoll says:

Oh I'm loving this story more! Waiting on God is so rewarding but nerve-raking….trusting God that He has our best interest at heart. Boaz wanted to do things right! How hard is to sometimes do that when we really want something so bad. He wanted Ruth as wife, but knew there was someone else that had that right before him. I imagine he prayed to God and said "God I really want Ruth as my wife, but if the other relative wants to redeemed her then I know it's your will, and I'm ok with that" God rewarded Boaz for doing the right thing. I've made prayers like that and God has responded and granted my wish. God is great!!!

2. I really love this study. We had three member baptisms last year and my church asked me of all people to do a quick 10 minute sermon on baptism and I chose to go DIRECTLY to Ruth. It was my first sermon and was very hard to break it down in 10 minutes. I was extremely nervous, I have terrible grammar, a stutter and a country accent…so it started out rough. There is so much in that book and I adore it. Click to watch http://youtu.be/3d7_PAL7198

1. Karoll says:

Good job! I think you did great! ;-)

2. Diane says:

What a powerful testimony,preach it sista!

3. Estela says:

I really am enjoying this story, thanks SRT and all the SRT sisters!

4. kskaggsss says:

Oh, be still my heart. I have fallen in love with this book, but it also aches my heart beyond words. I am going through a heart-wrenching-long-played-out breakup that ended by God's guidance. We were convicted that God wanted us separated for the time being and that if we were faithful and obedient, God may (or, lets me honest-may not) lead us back to one another. It's hard. It sucks. I hurt. I want God to show me what the right timing is. I want God to give me the answers now. Oh, but how that is not the way it is going to be. One step at a time, God is doing work. I am so thankful for this study of Ruth. Knowing waiting time is going to produce God's very best for me. It's hard not knowing what that is, being faithful is not as easy as it is to build my anxiety- but faithfulness will produce the very best. He is redeeming and the outcome will be so perfect and sweet. Oh, Father- get me and my heart there in your time, with your plan.

1. jessicalisel says:

Praying for you! Praying that in that deep, one step at a time hardness you will press on. You will continue to seek his face and be blessed.

5. Diane says:

Redeemer is my favorite name for Jesus! As a woman who has all the cultural independence,there still needs to be a place of surrender to God. Wee cannot stand alone very long in this sinful world.My Redeemer has set me free of so many lies about women. The verse that comes to mind for this story of Ruth is "I know the plans I have for you,plans to prosper you and not harm you". Jer. 29:11. This has been a great study, thank you for your obedience to write for it!

6. Ellen says:

The one thing that impacts me the most is the image of Ruth lying at the feet of Boaz and how we come to the feet of Jesus on the cross to be redeemed. It displays a place of submission, like when Mary Magdalene washed Jesus's feet with her tears and later the picture of Jesus washing the feet of the twelve. These images come to mind for it is a reminder that we have to place ourselves in that place of total submission so that God can carry out His perfect plan. It is in that position of submitting that we also are totally dependent upon God and not upon ourselves for we cannot go anywhere if we are at His feet in submission.

7. Lanette says:

And to think that if Ruth had taken the easier road, the known and more comfortable road, she would have missed this opportunity to be a part of God's great story. I'm right there today and do not want to quit in discouragement and miss my part in HIs great story.

8. Shelia says:

Thank you God for redeeming me, thank you for freeing me from the law, thank you for my ongoing deliverance from sin. I praise you.