waiting as obedience

from the waiting as obedience reading plan

Ruth 3:14-18

BY Diana Stone

Text: Ruth 3:14-18

“Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God.” – William Carey

Many times in life I feel called by God, strongly, to pursue something. I start it with bold excitement, my heart ready and willing. And I think, This is it! The moment life changes because I said Yes!

Then inevitably, a bend in that straight road I envisioned makes me think, But wait, I said yes. I was obedient. Why is this still hard?

We see in Ruth the same scenario. She has been obedient to her mother-in-law Naomi in many ways, but especially so where Boaz is concerned. Ruth has truly put herself out there in trust—everything is leading up to this moment.

What a surprise to hear that she will need to wait until Boaz finds the nearer redeemer (kin) and ask if he will marry Ruth, as was the custom.

We don’t know if Ruth is frustrated here, but I am frustrated for her. This is the point where I’d throw in the towel, with a spiral of, “Well, it’s all over. I’ll be married to some man I’ve never met, these past few months were a waste, and I’ve got barley and a sore back to show for last night. Perfect.”

Naomi, who has gone from calling herself “Bitter” to believing again, is the beacon of hope in this process. She says to Ruth, “Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out…” (Ruth 3:18a)

Wait, and then wait again. Isn’t this the very essence of life? Nowhere are we promised an easy time because we obey or reach what we think is the answer. Waiting seems to make up a good portion of our lives. Do you trust that God truly does have “plans to give you a hope and a future”? (Jer. 29:11, NIV)

This doesn’t mean that things turn out exactly the way we think they should. Had Boaz come back and told Ruth he wasn’t able to marry her, God’s plan would have gone ahead of hers. He would have come through, provided for her, remembered His promise.

In your waiting place, cling to the hope that never once has our God left our story unfinished and unredeemed. It may not look how we expected but, as with Ruth and Naomi, our story is His story—it was then and it will be in years to come. We are only to wait, to trust, to obey.

card bundles ad

135 thoughts on "waiting as obedience"

1. Zeydi says:

I am a very impatient person, yet, I believed so strongly in God's will for my marriage that I waited patiently for 13 years for my husband to come home. At the end, he chose someone else and it broke my heart and any confidence I had left. I had prayed so hard and did not want to break the covenant I made with God through my marriage vows 27 years ago. At the end, he chose to go a different path. The only thing that has kept me together is the belief that God has a "hope and a future" for me and my two children. I keep reading Ruth and know/believe that God has a Boaz for my life. Doubts, uncertainty, years of loneliness and years of waiting assail my soul and I despair thinking "when?, Lord!; When?".

I think in all these years, he has prepared me to be dependent on him! Even during those years that my husband and I were separated, faith and hope kept me together.

1. Amanda Fischer says:

What an amazing testament. God’s blessings to you!!

2. Cathy says:

Your comment is 7 months ago but it struck me. I’m having turmoil in my marriage and I’ve tried everything. I leave it in Gods hands now. It is hard and lonely and sad. Staying focused on the path God has laid out. I believe he is preparing me for something greater than I could imagine!

2. Ainsley says:

We all new to remember this when we feel deserted and lonely.

3. Steph says:

Oh yes. You just put a highlighter over what I’ve been glancing over. That’s Amazing!!! There is no greater joy. Even if its joy in long suffering. Glad that we get to be par takers in Gods story!! The timetable for such a time as this. It always has been and always will be all about Him!!

4. Juliefay says:

The waiting on a man she only knew about through her mother in law and a good reputation had to be faith… When was the last time you wanted to marry someone because of what someone else said about them and how they treated you on one occasion? Older… Unmarried… Blah blah blah. That is strong faith…not faith in a man but faith in God through every situation and obedience to what he tells us to do no matter how bizarre! His story 24/7:)

5. Promise Keeper is our God! He promised to fulfill His purpose for us! He is love!!

6. Moriah says:

Exactly what I needed this morning. I’m about to go home from college for the next two months, which is always hard for me. My hometown was a terrible place for me and though I know the Lord has a plan for my summer I am often filled with fear about how horribly wrong my summer could turn out. But Isaiah does say to wait on the Lord and He will renew our strength. There will be bends ahead, but the Lord will guide me through them all.

7. BusyMomPaige says:

God knows better than us. I constantly need to be reminded of this!

8. This is such a relevant message for me right now. I’m going through a complicated point in a relationship and it seems like even aside from that I’m doing a lot of “waiting”. The past six years have been full of illness, loss, and heartache in which I have clung to the hope that God’s plan is good. I have been so concerned about the bitterness and fear that’s been entering my heart.. What a refreshing reminder.

1. Janelle says:

I hear you… a timely and refreshing reminder