waiting as obedience

from the waiting as obedience reading plan

Ruth 3:14-18

BY Diana Stone

Text: Ruth 3:14-18

“Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God.” – William Carey

Many times in life I feel called by God, strongly, to pursue something. I start it with bold excitement, my heart ready and willing. And I think, This is it! The moment life changes because I said Yes!

Then inevitably, a bend in that straight road I envisioned makes me think, But wait, I said yes. I was obedient. Why is this still hard?

We see in Ruth the same scenario. She has been obedient to her mother-in-law Naomi in many ways, but especially so where Boaz is concerned. Ruth has truly put herself out there in trust—everything is leading up to this moment.

What a surprise to hear that she will need to wait until Boaz finds the nearer redeemer (kin) and ask if he will marry Ruth, as was the custom.

We don’t know if Ruth is frustrated here, but I am frustrated for her. This is the point where I’d throw in the towel, with a spiral of, “Well, it’s all over. I’ll be married to some man I’ve never met, these past few months were a waste, and I’ve got barley and a sore back to show for last night. Perfect.”

Naomi, who has gone from calling herself “Bitter” to believing again, is the beacon of hope in this process. She says to Ruth, “Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out…” (Ruth 3:18a)

Wait, and then wait again. Isn’t this the very essence of life? Nowhere are we promised an easy time because we obey or reach what we think is the answer. Waiting seems to make up a good portion of our lives. Do you trust that God truly does have “plans to give you a hope and a future”? (Jer. 29:11, NIV)

This doesn’t mean that things turn out exactly the way we think they should. Had Boaz come back and told Ruth he wasn’t able to marry her, God’s plan would have gone ahead of hers. He would have come through, provided for her, remembered His promise.

In your waiting place, cling to the hope that never once has our God left our story unfinished and unredeemed. It may not look how we expected but, as with Ruth and Naomi, our story is His story—it was then and it will be in years to come. We are only to wait, to trust, to obey.

card bundles ad

135 thoughts on "waiting as obedience"

1. ed sheeran 2017 says:

I’d always want to be update on new blog posts on this site, bookmarked ! .

2. Abz says:

‘Why is it still hard’ yep I have asked myself my same questions over and over again…’wait my daughter..’ So tender, so reassuring and so personal…my daughter wait.

3. Latoya Holman says:

As I was approached by this message…it really Blessed because over and over I’m always hearing God tell me this in His still voice! I absolutely knew this was Him making it plain for me to see that everything is in His timing and just know that all things are working for the good just as it did in the story of Ruth. I am now I’m my waiting season and yes it is really tough, and yes the enemy has tried and tempted me over and over! But now by seeing God’s message written through this message that God wants me to wait and it’s for my Good!!! So Yes I will wait on the Lord and be of good courage!!! Thank you for confirming God’s word to me!!! Obedience is better than sacrifice!!!

4. Tracy says:

As I read yesterday’s passage, I couldn’t help but smile and feel like I was reading an old Bible setting romance novel and it made me smile. But this has the lesson God has been working with me on for years. Waiting. I’m terrible at at it, and it is such a necessary quality in this life.

5. Acacia says:

I have just come across this via a pin from this post on Pinterest! So crazy because I feel of late that God has has been telling me to wait…Wait for direction for next year (as to what career to take and where to get a job) and what I’m to do with my life. It’s so hard to accept the fact that I have to wait, but because I know that God’s thoughts are higher than mine and His ways are best I trusting Him to help me do this! Naturally I am a planned, organized girl who doesn’t like waiting – but God is doing a NEW thing, as He constantly is doing in all of us! Coming across this post has really encouraged me. Thanks so much x [Acacia, 17, New Zealand].

1. Melissa says:

I know God has an awesome plan for your life Acacia! and he will provide an awesome job for you. He will reward you and bless you for your faith and for waiting on Him; on His will. You just wait and see :)
      The verse that helps me a lot when I am in a waiting situation is Psalm 27:4:
      “Wait on the Lord, be of good courage, and He shall strengthen you heart”
      We must not lose hope or courage because in the midst of it all God is doing something amazing and beautiful in each of our lives <3 :)
      [Priscila, 20, California]

2. Heidi says:

I just found it via a pin as well (I love shereadstruth, but haven’t yet done the Ruth study), and it encouraged me too! :) May you have sweet peace and patience in your waiting…God IS doing a NEW thing!