He is the only one

from the He is the only one reading plan

Ruth 1:6-14

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Ruth 1:6-14

Naomi is now a widow and also has lost her sons. Can you imagine? Maybe you can. If so, God is with you (He is so near the brokenhearted, Psalm 34:18). And God was with Naomi, and God was with her daughters-in-law Orpah and Ruth. I would imagine that after such tremendous loss, Naomi would want nothing more than to have the companionship of these young women. Since her husband died first, maybe she’d come to believe even more in the Lord’s closeness. Maybe she wanted to dry her girls’ tears and comfort them.

But she knows that ultimately, in their culture, these women needed protection. They needed a husband, and she rightly knew that she was unable to provide this for them. So, Naomi did the hard thing and encouraged her daughters-in-law to go back, to return to their mothers’ house, and to find rest and peace (hopefully with a new husband!).

Can you imagine how excruciating that would be for Naomi? She lost her husband, but then gained these girls when they wed her sons. Maybe she felt like this was the restoration she had hoped for. Maybe this was her beauty out of ashes. But then, unbelievably, her sons perished, too. All she had left were these young women.

Sometimes, like Naomi, we want more for our loved ones than we can promise them. When this happens, all we can do is point them to Jesus. He is ultimately the only one who will not perish, who will never leave us, who will provide, who will protect.

Our dreams—some of them will die. Our churches—sometimes they will let us down. Our friends—it’s inevitable that they’ll hurt us. But, thankfully, we can continue on because we walk with Christ. He gives us strength and shelter and allows us to do the hard things.

sotm ad

202 thoughts on "He is the only one"

1. Pam says:

This devotion is so on point with where I am in my walk. What a great friend I have to recommend to me to study the book of Ruth. Lord help me to Se the “Ruths” you provide in my life daily.

2. allison says:

Hi just checking to see if my comment is going through

3. Laura Laywell says:

So incredible, when it says that when you want more than you can promise for your loved ones, point them to Jesus.

4. Holly Sanders says:

The last paragraph hit me that church’s will let you down. I’m struggle with my church right now and God is helping me make a decision and I believe and will trust what he decides

5. aurorasgirl♡ says:

I’m about to move after being in the same home for over 15 years. Having to find new friends and a church family is overwhelming. But I’m prepared with a open heart! And reading this is has been a blessing!

1. Mallory Ann McGhee says:

Good luck girly!! Praying for you to find the right church that will provide a ton of great friends :)

6. Sarah Kent says:

He’s forever with us, even when we do not deserve it and also when we feel like nothing is working out. He has a bigger plan in store. Amen and Amen.

7. Michelle says:

Even after heartbrake… At the end of the day. He’s there. He is ultimately the only one who will not perish, but he’s always there with his love ready to shower over me and love me through it all. There truly is no one like him.

8. Juliefay says:

What would we do to be close to the ones we love? Ruth seems to be acting irrationally by not heeding the advice of her mom but she shows a commitment to the family she married into and a true love for her mother. She wasn’t easily persuaded! Let us not be easily persuaded to leave the love we have known. Christ is all I need, Christ is all I need, all I need!