just do it

from the just do it reading plan

Nehemiah 2:9-20

BY Sarah Matheny

Text: Nehemiah 2:9-20

Knowing God’s will for our lives can be tricky. I’ll admit, I’ve tried to circumvent the process a time or two. (If you happen to check my browser history, please ignore the Google search, “How do I know God’s will for my life?” And please also ignore anything having to do with rashes.)

But other times, God’s will is as clear as day. Or in Nehemiah’s case, as we read earlier this week, it can be as clear as an obvious statement from God. In those instances, knowing God’s will isn’t the tricky part. Once we’ve discovered the path, it’s the carrying it out that stretches us.

Walking in His ways won’t always be popular. Others will be “very much disturbed.”  (Nehemiah 2:10, NIV)

We may not have a team standing alongside of us, just a few helpers and the shirt on our back.

There will be obstacles and gates we can’t get through, and upon careful examination, we’ll realize the daunting task before us.

We’ll search our motives. Are we telling everyone, for our own glory, what God put on our hearts to do as an act of obedience (Nehemiah 2:12)? Or is our right hand unaware of what our left hand is doing, because we know we can’t lay claim to our obedience (Matthew 6:3)?

In our walk, there has to come a point where we block out the naysayers. A point when we stop surmising what we’re lacking to accomplish the task and when we stop examining how very hard it will be.

There comes a point, with a prayer and pure motives, where we just begin the good work.

In spite of the seemingly insurmountable, the mockery and ridicule, He will give us success.

Just begin the good work.

day3

118 thoughts on "just do it"

1. Betsy says:

So incredibly behind in this study, but am trying hard to take my time as I'm finding that God is using it to speak directly to circumstances in my life. One being the recent discovery of His will for my work. The profound thing that struck me here is that in the "naysayer". I'm the one holding me back. I know what I must do, I know it may take time and that not everyone will get it and so I talk myself out of pushing into it…..not today, maybe tomorrow! I needed this swift kick in the heart to remind me that God has my back and that where He wants me, He will support me and provide help! Love! ~ B

2. Sheri says:

I'm behind in this study but am being so completely blessed by it all.

I love what Sarah says, that discovering God's will for our lives can be tricky and other times outwardly clear.

Regardless the situation we need to keep our focus on God and not on others. If Nehemiah had let the harsh opinions of Sanballat and Tobiah to affect his desire to rebuild the city, this story would go no where. But he focused on God and his knowledge that his Lord COULD & WOULD carry Him through as it was His will for his life.

It's easy to hear the words of others and lose the fire that God has placed in our hearts. This is why I journal a lot. I can often find encouragement from going back and reading how excited He made me when He revealed His promises. That alone can help restore my trust in His words & His strength.

May you all be blessed today sweet friends. Xo

3. Kelli says:

This was such a crucial part of the study for me. Reroute my thinking as to how I handle the opposition along the way.

4. rachel says:

I just read this post today. It very much spoke to my heart. My daily struggle since entering adulthood has been letting the voices of naysayers drown out the voice of my King. I have given words spoken years ago a disturbingly large amount of credence in my life. It is truly terrifying to realize how much I've allowed these words to have dominion over me. I don't want my life to be dictated by fear of what others may think or say of me any longer. After reading the second chapter of Nehemiah, the Lord led me to the following verses – verses I memorized in high school, but have let the world drown out. May He implant these verses in all of our hearts as believers who want to serve Him, and not the opinions of the naysayers!

1 Peter 3:13-16, ESV:
    "Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame."

1. Sheri says:

Hi Rachel, I just started reading Limitless Life by Darwin Gray and I'm only on chapter two but it's been such a blessing. It talks about this exact thing, how to remove the labels of the past that have held us back so that we can receive the life Jesus intends for us to have.

So glad He brought those words back into your life. What a restoration of faith when He does that!

I am praying for you today – that you will continue to serve the Lord and not fall to the naysayers of this world!

1. rachel says:

Sheri, thank you for your reply and for your prayers. I had never heard of that book before, but when I looked it up it brought me to tears. Good tears! Thank you. I have just bought a copy and am looking forward to reading it.

5. Quinn says:

Great post. I think for me though, I get caught up in the little things. When I see a very obvious change in direction for my life and know that it's God, I'm (typically) less hesitant to resist. However, it's the little things that add up for me and show my lack of faith. When I'm in a grocery store and I feel a prompt from the Holy Spirit to share my faith, I dig in my heels and avoid it at all costs. I don't want to hear any opposition to my faith in a spur of the moment kind of thing. I am hesitant to just act.. to follow God's will for my life even in that small moment. I am so thankful for this study of Nehemiah. Although I am behind (started almost a week late) and trying to play catch up, I have been so encouraged!

6. Kortina says:

Wow sisters! I NEEDED to hear this! I recently embarked on a new business venture. I have tried other business but have failed at each of them. But while I have failed, there were soooo many lessons learned! God put in my heart to try again! He spoke to me and told he will supply, and that I just need to do the work. I hear this over and over again, "Do the work!". It's hard for me to get motivated and at times I have a fear of success! But Nehemiah is reminding me to stay on the path God has carved out for me! His will is what I crave! God has already started to show me what he is capable of. My boyfriend and I were blessed with BRAND NEW cars! My boyfriend has NEVER owned a new car in his life. But God blessed him! Doors are opening up for us! Ones we never could have imagined. Just think how much more He will do if I just Begin The Good Work! Thank you Lord for your word and for all that you do! Sisters now is our time to begin the good work! Whatever season you are in, whatever you think is stopping you, just start the work. God has the plan. It is our job to follow it! AMEN!!!

1. Sheri says:

Kortina, what a blessing you are receiving from the Lord! It sounds like you are right where He wants you. Blessings and prayers to you on your new business venture. I pray that whatever it is that you will be successful and profitable and that you will grow more personally in God's will for your life. So grateful to hear how He is working in your life. God is good!

7. Karissa Wesley says:

Hi ladies! I just watched a movie that touches right at the heart of our reading in Nehemiah for Day 3. It was "Finding Normal" with Candace Cameron Bure. I just wanted to share as while I was watching I thought of our readings. Hope everyone has a great day!
    Love and Blessings!

8. Kristy says:

This just launched me in a very real way. Wow.