he ascended into heaven

from the The Risen Christ reading plan

Luke 24:50-53

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Luke 24:50-53

Jesus raised His hands to bless the people before He ascended to Heaven. Because of this, the people responded by worshiping in joy. Then, they went back to their homes and blessed God continually.

This should be our posture of praise. Jesus has blessed us with salvation, and our response ought to be worship. We should be joyfully grateful and in awe, simply because of the work Jesus completed on the cross. Then, we should go back to our regular life and bless God with it. It really is that simple.

There will be dark days, days when joy feels far away. But, worship is not always sunny and it doesn’t always sound like Contemporary Christian radio. The broken can be holy because it is redeemed. Nothing is wasted or left to rubble in God’s economy, and just knowing that can let in a sliver of light.

In this miraculous and unlikely event, Jesus’s ascension, we are reminded again that God does not waste death. He makes all things new and works all things together for our good.

That is worthy of joyful worship, indeed.

54 thoughts on "he ascended into heaven"

1. hazelmaddie says:

I have the next couple of days off and I’m in a period of grieving. But I think it will be good. I can focus on praise and blessing then when I finally face the outside world I can be ready to continue that praise and blessing. Thanks for all of your words and revelations, ladies.

1. Hazel, I don't know what you're going through, but know this: Jesus grieves with you. He is not a stranger to suffering. Take time to be in His Word and rest in prayer and His promises. Take heart in this line today, "The broken can be holy because it is redeemed." Jesus redeems your life when you hand it over to Him.

2. LaurenC_ says:

Prayed just now for you hazelmaddie.

2. Steph_Lilac says:

"The broken can be holy because it is redeemed. Nothing is wasted or left to rubble in God’s economy, and just knowing that can let in a sliver of light." Firstly, thank you Hayley for this Spirit filled devotion! I only want to deal in God's economy where less is more and favor supersedes everything else. Jesus opened His arms and blessed us not just monetarily but with riches of peace, joy, love, abd kindness in every season. I thank God for his equality and blessings which are constantly bestowed on us even when we don't see them. Have an amazing Tuesday my Sister's and please keep me in prayer as the enemy shots his fiery darts my way. xoxo

3. So true that redemption makes brokenness holy! This reminds me so much of one service at my church in a series on the Psalms, specifically about the "lamenting Psalms". The teacher said that most churches never utilize the lamenting Psalms because we live in a culture that thinks God can't handle our cries or pain. I think that is pretty true for most people, but I sat there incredulous because all I read in high school were the lamenting Psalms and Job (light cheery stuff, I know). The bottom line is that though we should always be worshipful, expression of our pain can qualify when we are honestly crying out to our Father because we know He is good. :)

4. journalsofavagabond says:

'The broken can be holy because it is redeemed'.
    I love that statement. There are so many times that during our walk in faith with God that we feel that because we are not quite perfect, we cannot be used, we cannot be holy, we cannot be loved. But because of our brokenness is how the light of the Father shines through. Am so glad for this reminder today. :)

5. Teressa says:

Thanks for the gentle reminder. Reflecting on the ascension makes it all new, fresh, and exciting!
    I'm remind that I need to bless God more, to worship him and encourage others to do the same.

6. Courtney says:

Oh, sisters! Yesterday was such a Monday! I can't exactly say anything terrible happened… but it was just so… Monday. I know you understand. And I woke up today still sleepy, not excited to go out into the world and set it ablaze. I was pretty much still stuck on Monday. So in my expert procrastination (really… I am a master at this) I pulled out my phone and did my SRT.
    Then it hit me… if I wanted today to be better than yesterday, I had to make my focus PRAISE. In every little thing I (we) do.
    Today, lets have every little thing we do be a way to worship God or point someone to Him.
    Its a whole lot more fun when you think of the day like that, isn't it? :) <3

1. Haha…"it was just so…Monday". Girl, I totally understand.

You're right! It is so much more fun to think of the day in terms of how we can worship God and point others towards Him!

7. Shelly says:

In a book I'm reading called Choosing Joy. The passage stood out for me yesterday.

When it feels like everything is gone, choose the joy of The Lord anyway. He will be your strength. He will give you thrower to move joyfully through difficult circumstances. You will not live forever in the pit of low places. God will raise you up. Not only will God be your strength in trials, He will take you up the mountain to victory and triumph. The Sovereign Lord is your strength.

1. LaurenC_ says:

Thank you for sharing this, I really needed to read it tonight.

8. Shelly says:

All things new! All things. Not some or a few or only those over there. All. Thank you Jesus!!

There will be dark days, days when joy feels far away. But, worship is not always sunny and it doesn’t always sound like Contemporary Christian radio. "The broken can be holy because it is redeemed." Nothing is wasted or left to rubble in God’s economy, and just knowing that can let in a sliver of light.

Many days I've needed to hear this. It's been a long school year and it's coming to a close. Just a few more weeks. 21 days. Lots of trials. Dark days. But nothing is wasted in Gods economy. Hallelujah!! Redeemed.