he ascended into heaven

from the The Risen Christ reading plan

Luke 24:50-53

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Luke 24:50-53

Jesus raised His hands to bless the people before He ascended to Heaven. Because of this, the people responded by worshiping in joy. Then, they went back to their homes and blessed God continually.

This should be our posture of praise. Jesus has blessed us with salvation, and our response ought to be worship. We should be joyfully grateful and in awe, simply because of the work Jesus completed on the cross. Then, we should go back to our regular life and bless God with it. It really is that simple.

In this miraculous and unlikely event, Jesus’s ascension, we are reminded again that God does not waste death. He makes all things new and works all things together for our good.

That is worthy of joyful worship, indeed.

54 thoughts on "he ascended into heaven"

1. fnroberts says:

I'm new here so every one work with me & I know I'm a few days late… I really needed to read this today. "The broken can be holy because it is redeemed." This struck a cord and has stayed with me for the past hour. Although I've sinned, it reminds me that God is always there to forgive. My walk in faith has not been perfect, and I know it never will be. I am striving every day to have a better, more close relationship with God. xoxo

2. Aimee says:

"Jesus has blessed us with salvation, and our response ought to be worship". This quote really stuck with me. And this is so right!! Who are we to deserve salvation? Who are we to be saved from sin and corruption or spending eternity is hell?! He is doing us a favor, And he does this because he loves us so much. And what better way to praise him and thank him for giving us the opportunity to be saved than worshiping him??

3. LaurenC_ says:

"There will be dark days, days when joy feels far away. But, worship is not always sunny and it doesn’t always sound like Contemporary Christian radio. The broken can be holy because it is redeemed. Nothing is wasted or left to rubble in God’s economy, and just knowing that can let in a sliver of light. In this miraculous and unlikely event, Jesus’s ascension, we are reminded again that God does not waste death."

I'm thankful for the image in the scriptures of Jesus blessing His disciples at the moment he ascended to Heaven. Even at the moment He fulfilled God's great glory, He blessed them/us. My heart feels reassured again when I picture that moment. He'll never leave us. I'm thankful for Hayley's words I copied above — that worship doesn't always have to be joyful, that nothing is wasted, not even death. I praise God that death is never wasted, that my mom is healed now in Heaven, that she will never be in pain or confusion ever again. I praise God through my tears that He allowed me to have my mom as long as I did, and to have the friendship that we did.

If I can be really honest here tonight, sisters, I am struggling. As this week began, with Mother's Day coming this weekend, I am feeling lonely and lost. I have special plans to honor my mom and our special relationship by going away by myself this weekend to her favorite place she ever visited. I will be alone physically, but my mom will be there in every breath I take. She'll be seeing it all through my eyes, enjoying it all through my mind and feeling it all through my heart. I can't wait. But in the same breath, I am broken all over again as if it was just last week when she passed. I know this is "normal" and I should allow myself to move through these feelings. I know that I should give myself the time and space to feel it all, for however long it takes, and that I should also expect to move through it, to the other side of the pain. I know all of these things in my head. I understand it, I can rationalize it. I've learned a lot about grief. But as I said in response to AnnaLee above, I'm still afraid of the full extent of my pain. My loneliness is so specific. I am so lonely for my mom. I have a nice life, I suppose, and I know people care about me, but I am still lonely for my mom. I know God loves me and will never, ever leave me; but I am still lonely for my mom. I feel like I've joined a club I never signed up for – the motherless daughters – and there is nowhere for us to be this week leading up to Mother's Day. There is nowhere I can ever go to escape the knowledge and the pain that she is gone from my sight, my embrace, my world. I do know these truths: Jesus knew pain and God knows pain. Their pain is greater than anything I'll ever go through and so I should rest in that truth. But what do you do when it doesn't seem to help? I suppose wait and keep breathing and keep praying and keep putting one foot in front of the other. This week will pass, but I don't know how or when or if this pain will ever truly pass. It may always be there and I'll just learn to live with it. I need to keep telling myself to look for that sliver of light that does come in during these dark days. But I am so tired of "being strong" as everyone thinks I am, so thank you sisters for this space to pour out my heart and be real for a moment. xo

4. hazelmaddie says:

Rachel, thank you for your prayers. I feel God with me today in the midst of the pain. I feel him healing me already. It’s a situation where I think I will always feel grief when I think of it. But there is lots of hope.

5. mlcarter94 says:

The broken can be holy because it is redeemed. Such powerful images stir within me! Worship may not always be sunshine and rainbows but it is powerful and wonderful and different everyday! Worshiping isn't something that is done because everything is whole and happy but also in the times of broken and hurt. Thank you for this little reminder!

6. AnnaLee says:

"Then, we should go back to our regular life and bless God with it. It really is that simple.
    There will be dark days, days when joy feels far away. But, worship is not always sunny and it doesn’t always sound like Contemporary Christian radio. The broken can be holy because it is redeemed. Nothing is wasted or left to rubble in God’s economy, and just knowing that can let in a sliver of light."

So beautiful, so honest. Today, I came clean to God and was truly honest with Him. I realized one thing: I am VERY afraid of hurting. Aren't we all? We avoid it, we hide it, we fight against it with all of ourselves. I got trusting God mixed up with trying to never get hurt. But when the Lord commands us to trust in Him, it's not freaking out over which step to take and trying to do everything perfectly up to a T in fear– no, that's the opposite of trust! I cried when He spoke to me, but He said, "Anna, trusting me is not that. It's trusting that I can (and want to!) handle every landmine and heal every wound. I can admonish and warn you before the landmine, and I can (I will) heal you when you do step on it." Realizing this morning anew that I don't have to be afraid of pain and messiness– all because He's my God– made me praise Him in a way I haven't in a LONG while. It's by His wounds we are healed! Father, Let us praise you like this every day– in Spirit and in Truth, even when everything around us gives us no reason to sing to you. Amen.
    Be so blessed, sisters. I praise God for all of YOU. :) Thank you Jesus!

1. LaurenC_ says:

AnnaLee, I understand and appreciate every word you wrote here. I know that fear too. By His wounds we are healed, but I guess we have times in our lives when we feel those wounds ourselves. My head completely rationalizes that, understands it intellectually. My heart just wants to run away from the messy pain as fast as I can. With all I've been through in the last ~3 years, especially last year, I am starting to realize that maybe Jesus wants to me feel my pain, to allow myself to experience the fullness of my emotions instead of "being strong" as everyone thinks I am. I'm afraid that if I allow myself to feel my pain fully, I'll never stop feeling it. It will never end, I'll never be able to stop crying. But I have to tell myself these truths: Jesus knows pain, God knows pain. Perhaps our pain has a purpose sometimes: to remind us of His wounds — not as any kind of cruelty or punishment or discipline — but as a way of trusting Him brand new, more than we ever have before. Jesus knows greater hurt than we'll ever know and you said it so well, that He calls us to trust and praise, despite it all and because of it all. He calls us to stop freaking out over which step to take, as you said, and to stop worrying over the future (that's what I do, constantly these days). I wish it were as easy to do as it is to say/type. I am with you in this journey of trust and this daily practice of letting go fear. Thank you for being so open in your comments here each day. God bless you.

7. I love the image of the disciples worshipping Jesus as He blessed them and ascended into heaven, and then that they went back into their "normal" lives and continually blessed God. When we come away from a "mountaintop" experience, it can be difficult to translate that worship and passion back into the normal daily life. Praying that we would bless His name in the mundane and the daily, the broken and the beautiful.

8. Janee White says:

I've often said that if the Lord does nothing more for me than grant me salvation – its enough. I will praise Him eternally for that. And in the midst of life – you know, the life that happens as a result of living in a fallen world? I will praise Him then too. He gives us a safe place to go when the waves rise up – when the storms move closer – when the life you live falls out of alignment with with the life you dreamed of. We are in our temporary home – on our way to our eternal home. I praise Him that this is all temporary. Oh the joy of knowing our eternity looks nothing like life this side of heaven – but glory upon glory upon peace and joy. Oh, I will praise Him for that now.

1. LaurenC_ says:

"…when the life you live falls out of alignment with with the life you dreamed of." Oh yes, sister. I know that storm. Thank you for the reminder to praise the Lord despite it all, because of it all.