peace

from the The Risen Christ reading plan

John 20:19-23

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: John 20:19-23

God breathed life into man in Genesis (Genesis 2:7). Without God who created us, we would have no life.

Similarly, Jesus breathed on his disciples and they received the gift of the Holy Spirit, which moves in us and gives us new life (John 6:63).

It’s this posture of being the created instead of the Creator that allows us to live for Christ. We can do nothing in our own strength; it is the Holy Spirit in us that works and achieves His means. Jesus knew that we would need Peace, and the Holy Spirit is peace. The Holy Spirit brings forth fruits that we could not bear on our own. They are not of flesh, but they are higher than that.

The fruits the Holy Spirit grows are love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). These things can’t be born out of our dead flesh, just like an oak tree can’t grow apples. But, when the Holy Spirit that Christ bestows in this passage dwells in a person, they have the very Spirit of God within them. When we say, “I no longer live but Christ lives in me” (Galatians 2:20), we are deferring to His glory and His power.

If we yield our flesh, His Holy Spirit will grow new fruit we could never have grown ourselves. This is truly a gift because, like salvation, these are not things we could conjure up on our own. A sinful heart does not seek to be good. A wandering heart cannot make itself faithful.

What a gift to be transformed by the Holy Spirit. Jesus is so good to us.

46 thoughts on "peace"

1. Love this post, especially the bit about peace. It is something I have often noted, that those who fully let the Holy Spirit lead them are less fraught with anxiety or fear. When hard circumstances occur, they are able to endure them because of the peace that Jesus gave us through the Holy Spirit. How beautiful and totally visible in my own life as well, I can really tell when I grip at the reigns of my life because I start losing that peace. Living with open hands and patience is hard, but so worth the calm and reassurance that my God does see me, and has a plan for me.

I also love the dry bones correlation several of you have made, our God is beyond capable!

1. AnnaLee says:

Beautiful!!! "I can really tell when I grip at the reigns of my life because I start losing that peace. Living with open hands and patience is hard, bu t so worth the calm and reassurance that my God does see me, and has a plan for me." This past season has been me white-knuckling the reigns on my entire life until I was blue in the face with fear and insanity, a mess indeed– until God firmly commanded, "GIVE ME THOSE. GIVE ME CONTROL." Living with open palms and patience is the scariest thing in the entire world. I have absolutely no idea what lies ahead. No friends, no goals, no plan, because He's told me to let go of all of it and look to Him. Looking at my life freaks me out, but looking at Christ is that peace. Lord, help us to keep looking only at you no matter what. It is only then that we can find the will to loosen our grip on all of this "earth stuff."

2. Jen says:

Our God is so awesome! To give us the gift of The Holy Spirit… It is so comforting to me to know that when times are rough (or good), I am never going it alone. Trying to do things with our own strength is not smart. With Jesus on our side, we can do anything. Wow… This just floors me. Praise God for these blessings. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

3. Jenn says:

I always tell people this when they are afraid to stop doing the things they are doing to become closer to God just because the things they are doing are fun. When you walk with God, those things become unfun. He changes you from the inside out. You feel convicted for the things you shouldn’t be doing and you no longer want to do them. You truly become a new you. God is so good. Sometimes I stray and fall off track, but He is always faithful AMD He takes me back every single time. Amen

1. AnnaLee says:

Amen to that Jenn. Old friends don't understand me, asking me to hang out, talking about all the things we used to talk about– and it fills me with surprise to know just how truly different I am from that old person, now. I truly and honestly just do not want to do those things anymore; I truly just do not like the same things as they do anymore. God truly has worked. Praise Him!

4. Courtney says:

I also am reminded of the dry bones in Ezekial 37. How they were just rotten, useless bones but with the breath of The Lord they were a mighty army! I'm seeing a trend sisters! When God breathes into something, it gets power- awesome, holy, relentless love kind of power. And verse 22 clearly shows that we are vessels filled with his breath. So, the question I am left with is this: will I walk around like a bag full of dry bones and dirt or will I walk around like a powerful God-breathed creation? The choice is ours to make! :)

1. AnnaLee says:

Ah!! I love this! I'm going to write that last sentiment down. "Am I a bag of dry bones, or a powerful, God-breathed creation?" Praise God for this. Beautiful!! Lord, fill me with your Holy breath, that I may see things clearly, know things truly, and be filled with all spiritual wisdom and understanding, love, endurance, and peace. I pray that as I seek you more and more, I'd see your face– and be turned into the God-breathed creation I am. Keep me humble, knowing that I am dust, but keep me encouraged and close to you, knowing that You breathe into me to make me all I am.

5. AMEN! Such a great reminder on how to allow the Holy Spirit to dwell in us. "If we yield our flesh", we open a door for God to just use us and bless us in so many ways. I think the Spirit of God can be underestimated. My prayer for us today is that we may submit to the spirit (not flesh), resulting in the bearing of fruit and transformation!

6. susan says:

Jesus really did it all for us. He dwelt among us, became the perfect sacrifice for us, defeated death for us, and then gives us the Holy Spirit so He can remake us from the inside out. Amazing. Hold on for the ride, girls!

7. Valanne says:

I am thankful that theses are GIFTS. I can't buy patience, there is no waiting for a super sale to buy more self-control. I have been freely given these and all the other fruits. If I feel lacking in any, symbolically I just need to unwrap the gift and start using it. I need to make sure that I am giving full access to the Holy Spirit given to me. DO YOU HEAR THIS–I HAVE A HELPER! And He wants nothing more than to help grow me in the likeness of Christ. Encouraged.

1. Gema Muniz says:

Wow, I love the way you have related our spiritual gifts to our daily lives. I'm surely not using then wisely. Thank you for reminding me to use the gifts that God has already given us through the holy spirit.

2. AnnaLee says:

I agree with Gema– Praise God for using you to express such insight. "If I feel lacking in any, symbolically I just need to unwrap the gift and start using it." Lord, give me the faith to know that in confidence that I will receive whatever I ask for in Your will! That I can open these gifts! Remove all doubt and insufficiency that tells me I can't or shouldn't, that it would be useless. What lies. Praise you, Lord, for your generosity.

8. LaurieEW says:

Humm, I know these verses, but why have I been praying to God to give me "Words", "Boldness" and "Strength." Wow, this just now hit me like a slap in the face. His fruits are not any of those things. Help me Lord to choose the fruits of your Spirit that you breath into us, and not my flesh.

1. AnnaLee says:

Wow… that hit me too. I sometimes feel I'm lacking because I didn't feel like I had the right words, was bold enough, or was strong enough. While these things are definitely gifts from God, He gives them when we need them– we need to trust that. But I've been discounting and not appreciating/praising Him for the fruits of the Spirit He has been bringing about in my life. Lord, help me to see and rejoice in these precious, righteous, beautiful fruits more. What a shame it would be if you planted the seed, made it come forth in abundance, and I never stopped to appreciate it's beauty!! Forgive me, for that, O Lord!! Change my heart in that. Amen.