peace

from the The Risen Christ reading plan

John 20:19-23

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: John 20:19-23

God breathed life into man in Genesis (Genesis 2:7). Without God who created us, we would have no life.

Similarly, Jesus breathed on his disciples and they received the gift of the Holy Spirit, which moves in us and gives us new life (John 6:63).

It’s this posture of being the created instead of the Creator that allows us to live for Christ. We can do nothing in our own strength; it is the Holy Spirit in us that works and achieves His means. Jesus knew that we would need Peace, and the Holy Spirit is peace. The Holy Spirit brings forth fruits that we could not bear on our own. They are not of flesh, but they are higher than that.

The fruits the Holy Spirit grows are love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). These things can’t be born out of our dead flesh, just like an oak tree can’t grow apples. But, when the Holy Spirit that Christ bestows in this passage dwells in a person, they have the very Spirit of God within them. When we say, “I no longer live but Christ lives in me” (Galatians 2:20), we are deferring to His glory and His power.

If we yield our flesh, His Holy Spirit will grow new fruit we could never have grown ourselves. This is truly a gift because, like salvation, these are not things we could conjure up on our own. A sinful heart does not seek to be good. A wandering heart cannot make itself faithful.

What a gift to be transformed by the Holy Spirit. Jesus is so good to us.

46 thoughts on "peace"

1. AnnaLee says:

I am what I am only by His breath.
    Boy, I needed to hear that today. Whether it's being discouraged because I lacked/failed in one area, or going to him with disbelief, or feeling proud about "my" accomplishments, He's continually showing me that I cannot do or be anything, I cannot exist, without His breath of the Holy Spirit living inside of me. I can't even pursue Him without His Spirit moving in me to do so. Lord, continue to strip away every single thing inside of me that claims to be made alive by anything but you. Do not let me forget that I am dust, created into a very beautiful, wonderful thing by Your breath alone. Do not let me forget that You haven't forgotten that I am dust– that you KNOW my weariness, my wandering heart, my complete foolishness, and that nothing I will ever do surprises you or makes you want to leave me. You've promised you'll never leave me, and you knew just what kind of polluted soil you were dealing with when you made that promise (even more so than I know!).
    IT"S TRULY ALL ABOUT YOU, OH LORD. So breathe into me again. Make this dirt mean something. Praise you, for the strong, patient, REAL work you are doing within me; I praise you for the works your hands have made. Keep me near to you! Keep me obedient! I cannot do so without you, Oh Lord. I need YOU. Praise you.
    Amen. Be blessed, sisters! Have a great night sleep! Rest in Him. Enjoy Him. Be with Him tonight. :)

1. Praise him, indeed, AnnaLee! It is all because of him that we are who we are and who we are becoming.

2. LaurenC_ says:

Oh how true – what a gift to be transformed by the Holy Spirit, day by day! I pray that each day brings me closer to living through the fruits the Holy Spirit grows – love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control. And when I falter, let the nourishment of the Holy Spirit lift me up, revive me, rejuvenate me. Jesus is so very very good to us.

3. Estela says:

Hello I just found your site through Emily's post on Jones Desing Company. I have read some of your post and comments and I'm inspired to follow along. I love the way the post are written, awsome study guide. I've done an online study guide before and I felt overwhelmed and still lacking in explanation, but the post are so to the point it. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's post.

1. AnnaLee says:

Welcome Estela! So glad to hear from you! May the Lord use this website to deepen your knowledge of him as well as your love and devotion to him (when we come to know Him more, we can't help but be more and more devoted– He's just that good. :)) I pray He'd use what you've learned through this devotion to bring you closer to Himself, and that as you learn more about what His will is for you, these truths would bless and encourage you while walking with Him. Be so blessed, friend. Praise the Lord. :)

4. EssieJean says:

Aaaaahhhhh. This is like water in a parched land. Heavenly Father, help me to move less and less by the impulse of my own flesh, and more and more by the impulse of your Spirit within me, that I may yield up more and more ground in my heart to your ownership.

5. Carrie says:

The Holy Spirit has been breathing into me a spirit of joy. The past couple of years, I have lived a very anxious life. It’s been tough being faced with a lot of challenges. But He has been filling my spirit with joy and I am sharing that joy with others through my blog: http://unspeakablejoymovement.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the reminder that we cannot do this alone with our own strength. I cannot live a life of joy (or the other fruits of the spirit) without Him. Blessings to you, sisters!