great commissioned moments

from the The Risen Christ reading plan

Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:14-20

BY Guest Writer

psst – Look for the next #SheSharesTruth assignment at the very bottom of the post!

Text: Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:14-20

It was an ordinary day and, as usual, I wandered into my local Starbucks to get my mocha. Behind me was a young man, and I decided to buy him whatever he wanted. At first he refused, but with some encouragement he said yes. It was what followed that took my breath away. I got an impression that I was to tell him that God saw him and loved him.

In total honestly, I doubted myself and almost moved on to my next activity. But in an instant moment, I turned to him and told him – God sees you, you are known and you are loved. His reaction was tearful and awe-struck as he told me he was desperately wondering if God had forgotten him. As we took a seat at a table, he told me he had been kicked out of his house, was living on pennies and had lost hope in God. We spoke for a few moments and prayed together.

Why do we live in the tension of worship and doubt that disables us to share the truth of God’s love? (See Matthew 28:17.)

You and I are commissioned – authorized by God – to “therefore go and make disciples” who will know Him and live for Him. This is a commandment from Jesus.

We can only do that if we are available and ready for the commissioned moments.

It starts with how pliable our heart is to choose worship, choose to deepen our spiritual growth and choose to hear the voice of God. Oswald Chambers says it like this: “Yet you cannot make disciples unless you are my disciple.”

We must be tenacious to align with God’s agenda and not ours. When we align with Him, then we can be freely available for the commissioned moments. This is not easy because our self-centered, busy, chaotic life can hurry us to miss those moments. Our doubt and fear of rejection can have us walk away and ignore when the moments present themselves.

Therefore, we have a minute-by-minute choice to align with God, slow down, trust and believe that the great commission can be lived out at Target, the workplace, school drop-off, athletic fields, grocery stores, the park, a walk with a friend, mission trips to local communities and global nations, in our families, a private conversation on Facebook and, of course, at Starbucks.

Jesus said, “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)

What a promise and encouragement that Jesus is with us always! Now, in His power, let’s forge forward to embrace our commissioned moments and nurture discipleship.

P.S.
I ran into this young man again in Starbucks. His circumstances had not changed, but he lit up when he saw me. We sat down together over a cup of coffee, spoke about God and prayed together again.

Guest writer Debbie Eaton is a Southern CA girl who is passionate about the impact of daily influential God moments we have with one another. She deeply values being a follower of Christ, a wife of 27 years, mother of a teenage son, the beauty of friendship, writing, speaking, leadership and a good cup of coffee. She was the Director of Women’s Ministry at Saddleback Church.

#SheSharesTruth writing assignment for Friday, May 2

What holds you back from being available for commissioned moments? When have you experienced a commissioned moment and how did you witness God’s supernatural power at work? Pray and ask God to present a commissioned moment. Then let’s gather to share our stories and encourage one another.

Link up with us next Friday, May 2, to tell your story! Use today’s scripture or any others that we study in The Risen Christ plan, and let’s explore together what it means to live out our calling to share the gospel. We can’t wait to hear from you, Sisters!

If you’re new to the #SheSharesTruth link up, you can read more about the heart behind it here

52 thoughts on "great commissioned moments"

1. Erika says:

I wanted to share an experience I had a couple of years ago~ I was attending a conference in downtown Cincinnati. I was taking a break and went outside to have a few minutes alone. A woman approached me for money for some organization. My first reaction was irritation. But as she turned to walk away she looked so dejected. I started a conversation with her and told her how hard it must be to try to collect donations on the streets. One thing led to another and she started sharing with me her day~ she had just come from a funeral for a young family member. This boy had died in a gang/street violence type of fight. She was distraught about youth violence. I ended with asking for the names of her family members and told her I would pray. But then I felt the Spirit so strongly urging me to pray right then with her…on the streets… in front of everyone. I tried to pull in my friends who by that time had wondered outside to find me. But I was to go this alone. This was very much outside my comfort zone, but it was the most rewarding experience! When we had finished praying, this woman's countenance had changed. She had a peace about her that wasn't there before. Just knowing that God cared for her and her circumstances made a difference. To think if I had ignored the prompting out of fear of what others would think makes me sad. I learned so much that day!

2. drasch says:

I have a twist on this, since I was raised in a religious organization that has its members literally go out into the community and attempt to convert. Knock knock, 9:30 am on Saturday morning, that was me!

My discomfort with shoving-it-down-your-throat religion is what kept me away from Christianity for so long. I'm loathe to share my faith for fear of being perceived as overbearing, and this is something that I need to change. The pastor at the church we just started attending started a new teaching series yesterday about this very subject.

I think Someone is trying to tell me that I need to adjust my attitude. :)

3. Camilla says:

My take away today was this: “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matt 28:20)

Jesus promises that we never go alone. Even if we feel alone, Jesus has promised that He will be with us ALWAYS. That means he is NEVER leaving our side.

How comforting to know that when we share the good news, we aren’t doing it alone and we aren’t doing it in our own strength but in his.

Jesus help me to trust your promise today, that wherever I go you go with me.

4. Kim says:

This is my first comment post and I felt I had to say THANK YOU. I sometimes forget that I am a mouth piece for the love of the Lord. I am a member of his royal priesthood and I can make ANY moment into a loving teachable moment.
    This struck me in such a way I had to really stop and recognize this.

5. Sheri Hooton says:

Praying for Laurie & Jennie. They are blessed to have women such as yourselves who would reach out this community to pray. Friends, I pray that you realize you too can make a huge difference just by your thoughts and kind words.

Very difficult situations. Praying for clarity and healing.

6. LaurenC_ says:

SRT Sisters, please join me in prayer for one of my co-workers, named Laurie. Our principal included her in our weekly updates & prayer list, saying that she will have surgery next week and then again this summer to "alleviate some pain she has been feeling." Laurie is a Stage 4 breast cancer surviver and has been in remission for over 5 years. While reading our principal's email, I felt a slight worry that maybe her cancer had returned. Laurie was out today and so I sent her a quick message this afternoon, after reading our principal's email, to let her know I was thinking about her and will be praying for her. Tonight, I received a response from Laurie that really makes me worry that her cancer has indeed returned. She stated "I know God will never give me more than I can handle. Please pray that I will have the courage to remember this in the weeks and months ahead." Sisters, will you please pray this prayer along with me? I truly appreciate it. xo

1. Claire says:

Will be praying for Laurie, it can be so hard to know the right thing to say in tough situations but she obviously knows God is right there beside her.
      Isaiah 58:11 NIV

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

2. drasch says:

Lifting her up, praying for courage.

7. LaurenC_ says:

I appreciate this devotional by Ms. Eaton. The Starbucks story was inspiring and the calling to make disciples for Christ is timeless. As Joanne said above, though, I can't make disciples for Christ until I am one myself. That is a work in progress. And there is progress, praise the Lord! But what really spoke to me tonight is the scripture: "And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came…" (Matthew) "And Jesus came." I re-read that line a few times. "And Jesus came." I see myself. Even in my doubt, Jesus comes to me. He understands me. He accepts me and my doubt. His love for me and mercy on me can never be diminished by my doubt. What a true blessing! The verses from Mark seem to paint a slightly harsher version –"…he rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen." Even with this depiction of the same scene, I still believe Christ's irritation and anger (really? or is this just my very human interpretation of this moment between Jesus and His disciples?) it came from His great love for us, His great hope for us, His great mercy over us, His great forgiveness of us. How blessed we are that, even in our doubt and sin, Christ comes to us with love. What a powerful message and example for our everyday lives! Even when faced with irritations, anger, betrayal, stress, doubt, and sadness toward the people and circumstances we may face (hand raised here), we can still extend forgiveness and love. Is it easy? – oh no, not by a long shot. But because Jesus did it first, for us and to show us His way, we can at least try. Even in my doubt, He comes to me with love. Even in the face of disappointment in others; betrayal, sadness — I can extend love. Even in my doubt, He comes to teach me. Dear Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!

1. Emma says:

Definitely praying for Laurie❤️

8. Misce says:

Even some of Jesus' disciples who have witnessed Him create miracles doubted His resurrection, yet, after He rebuked them, He did not exempt them from the Great Commission… Like them, I also have my own seasons of doubt and wavering faith, Jesus tells me that it doesn't disqualify me from the work that He has assigned to me for the glory of His Kingdom…

Making Disciples is not an option, not something that I will just choose to do when it is convenient or when I have time, it is a COMMAND, God's will for those who claim to love Him (John 14:15).

There are (many) times when discipleship becomes inconvenient.. the hardest part for me is when I have to lead our session even if I myself is feeling Spiritually weak, Jesus' shows me all the time that HE IS THE SOURCE OF POWER, He promised to be with me, that I am not doing this alone… and true enough, He always gets me through, and even blesses me through the sharing of the lives of flock that He has entrusted to me… It's a humbling experience every time… Glory to God who gives us the privilege!