intro: the risen Christ

from the The Risen Christ reading plan

John 1:14-17

BY Amanda Bible Williams

Text: John 1:14-17

“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us,
and we have seen his glory,
glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
– John 1:14

We have walked through Holy Week together, and we have seen Jesus.

We saw Him hailed as king by the crowd that later cried out His death sentence.
We saw His painful, obedient prayers in the garden.
We saw Him betrayed to His accusers and denied by His closest friends.
We saw Him suffer the death that we deserved.
We saw Him walk out of the grave – not metaphorically alive but really, physically, honest-to-goodness and forever alive.

And that is not the end of the story. In fact, it is the start of every new beginning.

Over the next 14 days, we will look at the life of Christ from His resurrection to His ascension. We will make our way from the empty tomb through the end of the four gospels, watching those incredible first encounters and listening in on life-changing conversations. Who did Jesus see? What did He do and say? How did the disciples respond when they saw their risen Lord, and what does it all mean for you and me?

Let’s take a closer look at our Jesus, the one who died for our sins and rose from the grave, who lives so that we might also live.

“Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”
– John 1:29b

69 thoughts on "intro: the risen Christ"

1. Bob Smithson says:

My name is bob!

2. Carrie Stubblefield says:

Is your middle name really Bible?

3. thanks, but I have not quite figured out your recommendations. I will try.
    оформление канала на youtube 2014 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRcz0PN_i8w оформление канала на youtube 2014

4. Bridget says:

So excited to start this journey! I can’t wait to make this a part of my daily routine and help me refuel after a long day :) I’m also very excited some of my close friends and I get to do this together!! Can’t wait to see what God is going to do through this site!

5. Andrea says:

AnnaLee,

I’ve forgiven you! :) I know I’m not perfect & I’m elated you’ve confessed your truths. Most of all you’ve freed yourself from the bondage of satan’s deceiving schemes. It doesn’t matter how we respond to your confession, your job is to obey The Lord! Dear sister, you are wise beyond your years, though age itself is just a number…

1. AnnaLee says:

Thank you for your kind, sweet words, Andrea! Praise God for His love and grace here on SRT! Praise Jesus, that He's brought such encouragement and truth. I love you! Have a blessed day, friend!

6. Shawnna says:

"This is the start of every new beginning " For the first time, Holy Week and Easter have left me saddened and feeling a bit lost…… The new study has come at just the right time for me, so excited to jump back I and see what He reveals to me :D

7. AnnaLee says:

And girls, I have a confession. It didn't come to my mind before like this until a few weeks or so ago, and it's a fleeting thought, but something I've felt convicted on. You might laugh at it or be offended– I have no idea the reaction, but I need to confess it! You girls are like family to me in many ways, and God is incredibly blessed me through the ministry of SRT (thank you, Lord! Thank you, everyone who writes/manages SRT, for letting Him do His good work in and through you here!). But in all actuality, I haven't been honest about who I am on here and my age, etc. I'm actually a senior in high school, planning on going to college this fall. I lied (reasoned in my head that hey, it wasn't really lying, because I am around that age, it's nothing to think about) about my age and education level out of feeling, well, very young on here, and quite a minority. I know it doesn't really change much of anything, since the age range is relatively the same… but knowing I've lied about that on here from time to time is now hugely convicting to me in a way I hadn't understood before. I earnestly and sincerely pray that you'd forgive me for lying in those ways, for being so foolish in that respect– I remember directly lying about it to Amanda and Raechel in a comment a while back about the app, and so I pray you'd guys forgive me, especially. It's wrong of me. I thank you all so much for being such honest, Godly, wonderful women. You've truly been the Godly sisters, friends and mentors I've prayed for this past year or so. God bless you all. I hope this message finds you all well. Be blessed.

1. AnnaLee – all is forgiven :) What are we studying? That Christ died on the cross to put our sins to death, and He rose from the grave to give us abundant new life. Yes, lying is wrong. But NONE of us (no matter what age we are or education we have!) are without sin…we all need Jesus equally.

I'm not that much older than you…so, you're not as much of a "minority" as you think ;)

2. tina says:

nnaLee, God bless you and thank you for that confession….as Rachel said we are all sinners/wrong doers, and have probably bent the truth from time to time.. the important thing is you have spoken it out , it's not going to eat at you anymore, you are free of that wrong…..and as to your age… you are a wise young lady….a great blessing to this community called ART….and most importantly you are Loved …..as an equal in the journeying and the search for the truth that is Jesus Christ….
      Bless you AnnaLee…Love you….x

3. AnnaLee says:

Awh! You guys make me well up with tears. I praise the Lord for the grace and goodness He's bestowed here on SRT… thank you for your forgiveness as well as your compliments. I love you guys so dearly. Praise Jesus!! Have a beautiful day, girls. xo

8. AnnaLee says:

Wow. Right when I needed it.

"But whoever did want him,
    who believed he was who he claimed
    and would do what he said,
    He made to be their true selves,
    their child-of-God selves.

…The Word became flesh and blood,
    and moved into the neighborhood.
    We saw the glory with our own eyes,
    the one-of-a-kind glory,
    like Father, like Son,
    Generous inside and out,
    true from start to finish.

…No one has ever seen God,
    not so much as a glimpse.
    This one-of-a-kind God-Expression,
    who exists at the very heart of the Father,
    has made him plain as day." (John 1:10-18, The Message)

I need to study Jesus more. Honestly, it's hard for me. I've spent so much time in the old testament that I've forgotten the truth and grace of who Christ is. Right now, and for a long past season. It's difficult to really absorb both Jesus' GRACE and TRUTH– righteousness and mercy. This is such a weird time in my life, and I honestly don't know what to make of it… but Lord, thank you for answering my prayers to get to know who you are– Jesus, the true Messiah, the King. Not just "this" God who I've made you out to be– only prophetic, mixed signals and messages, someone I need to pine for. Never let me make you out to be that again. I pray this would bless all of us with a new, beautiful, refreshed TRUTH on Jesus and what He means for us as CHRIST-ians. I'm so glad to get back to the center of it all. Praise you, Lord.