mary visits elizabeth

from the mary visits elizabeth reading plan

Luke 1:39-56

BY Diana Stone

Text: Luke  1:39-56

Mary visits Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist

Reflection

“’Tis more blessed to have Christ in the heart than in the womb. ‘Tis more blessed to have Christ in the arms of faith and love than in the arms or at the breast as the virgin Mary had.”
– Jonathan Edwards

Mary is considered the most blessed of all women. She was chosen; a young, virgin, broken child of God to carry his Son in human form.

In her beautiful Magnificat, she fully expresses not only her sense the blessing, but also her gratitude. She doesn’t boast about her position, but she is honest about what she will be because of what the Lord did.

“My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.”

What I love about Mary most is she never tries to take center stage. Even knowing she carries the Christ child, there is no mindset of what she “should” have or be entitled to. She steps back to let Jesus have his ministry, being a faithful follower when the mother role fades away.

Mary was a physical form of love and comfort for our Lord as a child, but she and Jesus both realized this was an earthly, temporary position. When a woman shouts at Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” He says, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” (Luke 11:27–28) Jesus wasn’t dismissing the importance of what Mary had done. He was showing His followers, then and for years to come, that devotion to the Son and the Father is of far greater importance than anything we an “do” with our lives. Even Mary, the mother of Christ, needed a Savior.

The Mighty One Has Done Great Things

Prayer

Jesus, let our lives be a song of thanksgiving and blessing to you. Let us remember that we too are privileged to know you as Lord of our lives. Humble servants that we are, you still made a path for our life to intertwine with yours.

Advent Action

In the worshipful spirit of Mary’s Magnificat, write a poem, song or paragraph in praise to the Lord. Read it aloud in worship to Him.

___________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved Christmas song for each day of our Advent plan. We invite you to listen to Magnificat today as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

23 thoughts on "mary visits elizabeth"

1. William says:

How right you was about Mary visits Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist. I am sure everybody like this world that you loaded here, Someone can be happy by getting this site. I come to you to know more details about this and I hope that you will let…

2. LaurenC_ says:

Lord, let my life and love for You be a Magnificat!

3. AnnaLee says:

"We spend Advent preparing our hearts for the Jesus that Mary bore and raised, the Jesus we know through our relationship and His Word, and the Jesus that we will meet one day soon. Our lives and love for Him are our Magnificat."
    Today, you might say I revisited the past. Many friends from far off came back to our town for the holidays, and the entire time, I was glad at how their lives had been, but envious at how adventurous they seemed while I was here, doing what God has set for me to do in this time. Quickly, God quieted my heart with the words of this devo: "devotion to the Son and the Father is of far greater importance than anything we an 'do' with our lives. Even Mary, the mother of Christ, needed a Savior."
    In this season of being excited for "my life to start," I've come to the bigger, more beautiful realization that it has long since started- because of Christ, and because He is with me every step of the way. Lord, I throw away the world. Everything that my flesh wants; everything that could ever fill my fickle, foolish mind with entertainment for a short time. I want YOU instead; I seek you. Lead me in your way everlasting no matter what everybody else is doing. I'm yours. I love you, papa.
    Girls, I thank God for the blessing that is being able to fellowship with you. Lord, cut away all the chaff; I pray that only you'd remain.

4. Candacejo says:

Ladies, Joanne Sher, one of our very own, who has written a beautiful comment today and many other days, has written a beautiful post at Internet Cafe Devotions, where both of us are regular monthly contributors. Today she is sharing "With You All the Way…". It is amazing!! Please take the time to visit her…you will be blessed! http://internetcafedevotions.com/2013/12/with-you

1. Catherine_K_L says:

Thanks for telling us, CandaceJo! I read it and it is beautiful, indeed !!!

5. Misce says:

This devotion spoke so much to me today.. For almost a week now, I've been struggling with my quiet time and relationship with the Lord and He has been revealing sins in my heart… Sins of Pride and Idolatry… Today, He showed me the beautiful example of Mary — A woman given the most prestigious role in the world, yet did not take the center stage, but humbled herself instead…

Sisters, I humbly ask for your prayers as I want to go back in spending my quiet time with the Lord the way we used to.. If you want to know the full story, I've written it in my blog, along with my Magnificat to Him…

Good morning and God bless! <3

1. Janee White says:

My beautiful Sister…I pray you find comfort in the folds of His Robe, and healing in the Hand of the Father. I pray a new quiet time be birthed out of this, even more intimate and sweet, than what you had before. I pray you see that Light extinguishes all darkness, and that His love for you is enough to destroy any baals in your midst. You are an amazing woman of God, and I am blessed to have met you. I pray this time in the desert be a time of wonderous learning. For He works all things out for the good of those He has called….and He has called you to great things Misce. Great things! And I for one, look forward to witnessing the miracles you will perform at the Hand of His Will.

6. debbates says:

I'm forever thankful to my God. I will glorify Him for He sent His son to save me, He loves me more than I could ever imagine. He holds my every care in the palm of His hand. He promised to never leave me alone or forsake me, even when I forsake Him. He is my God, my king, my savior, my friend…. I'm forever thankful.