the birth of john the baptist foretold

Luke 1:5-45

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Luke 1:5-45

The Birth of John the Baptist is Foretold to Zechariah

Reflection

The birth of John the Baptist is one of my favorite parts of Scripture. It reads like an amalgam of so many wonderful stories.

It has a hint of the story of Sarah and Abraham, as Elizabeth and Zechariah are also an elderly, barren couple. It has the feel the divine revelation Mary would have with her pregnancy with Jesus. There is even a run-in with the royal family, when newly pregnant Mary comes for some mentoring from the very pregnant Elizabeth. Scripture says John the Baptist leapt in Elizabeth’s womb at the nearness of the Lord, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

God was up to some incredible things. Those times of waiting were full of unknowns, yet held a palpable excitement. Waiting always carries tension. I would imagine that Elizabeth (and Mary) went to their Father many times a day, asking for the strength to remain faithful, the eyes to see the miracle, and the heart to bear the responsibility of stewarding His good gifts.

Think of times of waiting and tension in your own life, times when you don’t know what God is orchestrating in your life. In those times of the in-between, are you not drawn closer to God because He is the only sure thing?

He is sure and certain, in times of waiting and tension, excitement and expectation. We can rest confidently in His goodness and nearness.

Prayer

God, give us strength to remain faithful, eyes to see the miracle of Jesus’s birth, and the heart to bear the responsibility of stewarding the good gifts you’ve given us. Help us draw near to you in our waiting, our excitement, and our expectation. Amen.

Advent Action

When you find yourself waiting at different times today – for the car to warm up, the oven timer to ding, the kids to fall asleep, the red light to turn green – think on Christ. Do not reach for your phone, do not jot down a list. Simply sit in the tension of the waiting and know that He is good.

____________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved Christmas song for each day of our Advent plan. We invite you to listen to Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus” today as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

23 thoughts on "the birth of john the baptist foretold"

1. Janee White says:

Gabriel speaking:
    "Do not be afraid, your prayer has been heard."
    "Do not be afraid, you have found favor with God"
    "No Word from God will ever fail!"

Human responses:
    "How can I be sure of this?"
    "How will this be?"
    "But why am I so favored?"

Amazing Godly responses:
    Mary – "I am the Lord's servant, may Your word to be be fulfilled"
    Elizabeth – "Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill His promises to her!"

I am at a loss for words here, but I hope you see what I see in these simple words from our scripture today.

2. Catherine_K_L says:

I love the story of Zechariah and Elizabeth. The thrill of hope. The comfort to know that we have been heard by The Almighty God. The assurance that we are not forgotten and that God and answers our deepest longings at His appointed times.
    This Advent season, I am choosing to set aside my fears, live in His light and rest in the fact that His Word never fails. I am celebrating my adoption by my Heavenly Father. I am celebrating being a child of God, having His Spirit with me and the intimacy to call Him "Abba, Father".

Most Merciful Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing me to be your child. Thank you that though I can never be enough, I have a relationship with you because of the sacrifice of Jesus. Thank you for the wonderful gift, the best gift EVER, of Jesus my Savior. Please help me never lose sight that Christmas is all about the thrill of hope and how much you love me. May my life be a song of praise back to you, may my life show the world your light, your faithfulness, goodness and grace and be drawn to you for having seen it. I ask these things in the precious and powerful name of my Savior, Jesus! Amen.

3. kailey_rogers says:

One of my favorite parts of this story is that in the midst of confusion, with Mary's mind still reeling from the Lord's request, he sends her someone that can relate to her, walk alongside her and is yet a few steps ahead. Her cousin, pregnant also, with a child who would pave the way for the Savior. Christ doesn't leave us alone to deal with his requests, he sends us companions who have been where we are and walk beside us as we learn and grow. It's beautiful to know we are not alone.

4. AnnaLee says:

Your ladies comments have made me both emotional and incredibly encouraged. I thank God for you all so much. As I feel a new season coming, and I plan for what I think I know will happen, I am comforted and made joyful by the fact that though ANYTHING can happen (both an exciting and scary concept), He will be holding my hand, making himself available to me, and being my close friend, love, confidant and shepherd through all of it. What words he has spoken to me, I choose to still believe; what prayers have still been unanswered and forgotten, I choose to believe that He has remembered. He is moving, here, ladies! In the midst of all of our lives, whether they be chaotic or like a desert!
    How blessed, is this wait! is this season!

1. Mandy says:

Your words are always so beautifully put AnnaLee. Thank you! It is so good that we have God to walk with us every step of the way. You have such a wonderful heart and I've really enjoyed hearing what you have to say about each one of these verses. Sending you love and light!

1. AnnaLee says:

Mandy, thank you so much! You have no idea how much that means to me. :) Sending you love and light as well, my sister! Love you!

5. Ashley says:

Thank you so much for this post. I find waiting the hardest – the not knowing – even though we know that God is planning something better than we can even imagine.

1. Mandy says:

Ashley, Thank you for the post. It reminded that someone one told me that God always answers our prayers with only three answers: Yes, Yes but not now, and I've got something so much better for you. :-) I'm not sure it can be applied to all situations but I'd like to think it can.