he became poor

from the he became poor reading plan

2 Corinthians 8:9, Isaiah 53:2-5

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: 2 Corinthians 8:9, Isaiah 53:2-5

For Your Sakes He Became Poor

Reflection:

“For the Christmas spirit is the spirit of those who, like their Master, live their whole lives on the principle of making themselves poor – spending and being spent – to enrich their fellow men, giving time, trouble, care, and concern, to do good to others – and not just their own friends – in whatever way there seems need.”
-J.I. Packer

Jesus coming as a tiny infant defies all logic. The Jews were waiting for a powerful leader, someone with political clout and positional muscle. They anticipated a king on the throne, not than a King swaddled up and nestled in a manger. But that’s how Jesus came – He was dependent, He was vulnerable, He was helpless, and He was human.

God isn’t interested in human logic. God is interested in filling people up with the Holy Spirit, people dependent on their Father and living like His son Jesus. He made himself poor so we could be rich. We are dependent, we are vulnerable, we are helpless, and we are human. We are imperfect vessels set to be filled with a perfect God.

Prayer

Lord, please show us how to live more fully in step with You. Show us how to be dependent in our vulnerability and in our humanness. Allow us to take part in the great riches you have for us in Jesus. Amen.

Advent Action

Examine your heart for ways you may be trying to live as though you are not fully dependent on God. Reach out to someone today who may be fiscally or emotionally “poor” and bless them in some small way.

_________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved Christmas song for each day of our Advent plan. We invite you to listen to Hillsong’s Emmanuel today as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

16 thoughts on "he became poor"

1. ed sheeran photograph says:

My spouse and I found you from a another page plus thought I might check things out on الإحتباس الحراري وأثره على البيئة | هندسة نت . We like what I view thus now I am a fan. Look toward exploring your web site again. Incidentally what about Muammar Gaddafi breathtaking media stories what do you really think . Kudos … Irrigation System Maintenance

2. Kristin says:

The new living translation of Isaiah 53:3
    "he was despised and rejected- a man of sorrows, aquatinted with deepest grief"

and verse 5: "yet it was our weakness he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down"

Jesus took on ALL of our sins and sorrows when he died on the cross therefore whenever we bring our deepest sorrows to him he can honestly say "I know" because he has felt it too. He has borne our grief. It's a wonderful thing to know that when we go to our savior with our pain, he will never think we are being over dramatic or our pain or struggle is too minuscule for the creator of the universe. He too has felt how we felt and knows where we are coming from. He understands our heartbreak because it too has broken his heart. Thank you Jesus.

3. journeyingwithhim says:

I'm feeling weak and worn down today and so this devotion hit me right where it needed to. As I read it, having already spent some time confessing my brokenness and discouragement to the Lord, I realized that my brokenness reminds me of my need for Christ. My brokenness keeps me from self reliance and pride. My brokenness encourages me to be honest with God and to press on towards Him. My brokenness is something that He can understand because He became broken for me. And now He is here to fill me back up, not with imperfect and broken Sarah but with Him. Praise His name!!

4. Hazelmaddie says:

Annalee, you are in my prayers.

5. Heidi says:

Isaiah 53:2-5 is such a humbling passage. So thankful for it this morning.
    I was also struck with the thought this morning that the Jews were waiting for someone strong and beautiful in appearance, someone who fit their earthly expectations. However, Isaiah says that Jesus was none of those things and He came as an infant! I like to think that this is one of the first lessons in history of what on the inside is what is important, not the outside. I have always thought that God has the best sense of humor and that He uses it to put us in our place. I really love that.
    Thank you for this post this morning!

6. Janee White says:

Depend on the Father – Live like the Son – Imperfect vessels filled with a Perfect God.

Imperfect vessels filled with a Perfect God, depending on the Father so we can live like the Son.

This is who we are in Christ. We have been given the access to the fullness of the Triune God. Genesis tells us that God said "Let US make mankind in OUR image, in OUR likeness…" and in John we are reminded that from the beginning, there was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God. Again, the fullness of the Trinity.

I am so blown away by this! We are made in the likeness – not just of God – but of the fullness of God.

What sin made imperfect, God fills with perfection, for us to be fully dependent on Him, and able to live like His Son. I am in tears right now….