the prophecies and the promises

from the the prophecies and the promises reading plan

Numbers 24:15-19, 2 Peter 1:19; Revelation 22:16-21

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Numbers 24:15-19, 2 Peter 1:19; Revelation 22:16-21

The Prophecies and the Promises

Reflection

We can look at the prophecies in Scripture and see that they were confirmed. Every foretelling of His birth came to pass. This is excellent news for we who believe in Jesus! We have the benefit of observing the generations before Jesus’ birth, and reading the words of the men who proclaimed the events to come.

2 Peter 1:19 says, “And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.”

This is of highest importance, this preparing of our hearts. Even as it was prophesied that Jesus would be born the first time, we have been promised that He will come again! As surely as we believe that Jesus was born as a baby, we should prepare to see Him come again as a victor.

Just as the Jews were watching and hoping and living for a Savior, we should be watching and hoping and living for His return. It will be as glorious a day as the day of His birth. Glory in God’s economy does not necessarily look fantastic to human eyes, but it is Earth-shaking, time-changing, eternity-tremblingly glorious.

Prayer

God, help us see the glory of Jesus’ birth and hope for the glory of His return. You have promised good to us, and we know He will come again soon. Help us in the waiting, and in the groaning that accompanies the chasm between Heaven and Earth. Help us hope for the day to come when Heaven will come down, in the same way people thousands of years ago awaited His birth. Amen.

Advent Action

Think of something you’ve long awaited. What was your posture in the waiting? What did that hope and excitement feel like? Close your eyes and imagine waiting like that for Jesus.

_____________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved Christmas song for each day of our Advent plan. We invite you to listen to O Come All Ye Faithful today as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

16 thoughts on "the prophecies and the promises"

1. Lucy says:

Yes , Lord, help us in the waiting to live each day as if it is our last. Not with reckless adandon as if there is no tomorrow but with hopeful expectant fervor knowing eternity with Jesus is our tomorrow! Oh come thou long expected Jesus! Amen!

2. Today’s Advent action caused me to laugh to to myself. I thought about how anxious I get when I know that a check is being delivered to me through the regular mail service. Since I’m going through a financial need, I can recall times that I’ve refused to leave the house until the mail carrier has delivered the daily mail.

Surely I’m not not checking the sky or my surroundings for the 2nd coming of Christ.The advent action does however put things into perspective…

3. Valanne says:

I pray this becomes evermore my daily heart/mind set, "we should be watching and hoping and living for His return."

4. Sarah Elizabeth says:

Great word! To keep in check, I’ve been trying to remind myself-if Jesus came back tomorrow, would I be glad that I spent my time today doing what I’m doing, or worrying about what I’m worrying about?

5. Candacejo says:

I think at times we live so caught up in the here and now it is hard for us to remember that our Lord is going to return for us. That is the enemy's business! But reminders such as this renew that longing in our very soul to look up, our redemption draweth nigh. We do want to reign with Him! We do long to spend eternity with the One who gave His life for us!

That is why this season is such a wonderful refresher course in the Reason for it all: He came, He loved, He gave, and He is coming again! All we have to do is receive His promise, obey His Word and spread that Good News all over the place. Why wouldn't we want to?

What a hope! Thank you for this blessed reminder…

1. Valanne says:

So nicely stated. I love the renewed longing…

6. Janee White says:

" Help us in the waiting, and in the groaning that accompanies the chasm between Heaven and Earth." – Wow! the groaning that accompanies the chasm! What a powerful statement!

I do groan in the here and now. I long for heaven to come down, sickness to be eradicated, war to end, and Jesus to reign. But am I ready? Am I waiting for the Savior to be born or am I living as if He already has? Am I waiting for His victorious return or am I living from the Victory He already accomplished?

Am I waiting for my Savior or is He waiting for me?

1. Kathy says:

Wow… Am I waiting for my Savior or is He waiting for me… I think He is waiting for me. He loves me (all of us) so much that He is waiting for us. I'm so touched by this today. Thank you

7. Anita says:

Thank you Haley for a reminder I needed this morning. Joanne…wonderful way to sum it up. In this instance looking back gives me strength to go forward. Come Lord Jesus!

8. Joanne Sher says:

Love this reminder – we can be as certain of the future as we are of the past. Nothing else is that sure. NOTHING. Thank You, Lord!