give thanks in waiting

from the give thanks in waiting reading plan

Romans 8:19-25

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Romans 8:19-25

Since I was a little girl, I thought the next thing was going to be better. I thought the next stage of life was going to save me from the ills that had befallen me in my current day to day.

I would never, ever think of being thankful while I waited, because I just couldn’t stop thinking about how Then must be better than Now. I thought this for years, even as stage after stage passed me by with no relief. The next thing never made it better.

But, that didn’t stop me from hoping. And I don’t mean I hoped in a holy way. I hoped with a discontent spirit, an unholy longing.

All that hoping for the next season stopped when I found myself in one unchangeable, immovable time. There was nothing I could do to change my circumstances. There was no way around this time of life, and the only way I was going to come out on the other side was to endure.

That endurance, that sanctifying wait, showed me something I’d never understood before. During that time of waiting, that time that I could not trade, I learned that sometimes waiting is the season. Sometimes the endurance is the lesson. Sometimes simply getting through it is the most sanctifying, holy thing you can do.

In Romans 8, Paul talks about how all creation is groaning for the coming days when all is made right. Can you relate to Paul’s words when you think of your own times of waiting? Can you also hope and pray for the sanctification that will come in our waiting?

I was forever changed when I stopped looking to the next season to make my life better. I started looking to Jesus in my times of waiting, in my times of enduring, and in my times of just-getting-through. When I looked to Jesus, I realized that He would be with me in the Then but He was also with me in the Now. I didn’t need to get to a new season of life to know Him.

_________________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved hymn for each day of our Give Thanks plan. Today, we invite you to listen to “Be Thou My Vision” as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

18 thoughts on "give thanks in waiting"

1. Key says:

Heavenly Father help meto remember God is waiting with me. While im waiting please touch my spirit and keep my heart at peace. Blessings to all the women who are trusting and believing and waiting on God.

2. paula says:

Remembering He waits with me.

3. Lakeisha says:

Truly blessed me to read this. So often we forget that Jesus is with us in the NOW!!!!

4. Brooke says:

Such a painful lesson that I’ve had to learn, to re-learn, and to re-learn again. Over and over and over. So many times this has become evident to me only after the waiting has ended, and I stand, breathless and drained, on the other side. But hindsight is 20/20, yes?! Trying to soak up His presence and promises in my current circumstances!

And this is my favorite hymn! And my prayer!

5. beatccr says:

oh a completely technical note, this day (and the next one) doesn't show up in my youversion plan. it ended after 10 days and I thought I had completed it. I had no idea there were two more days til i saw the twitter feed post! then i read the description and saw that there were actually 12 days. this happen to anyone else or just me?

1. Valanne says:

Same thing here.

2. megkwhit says:

Happened to me too! Glad I get SRT posts in my email! :-)

6. jesusgirl71 says:

this really spoke to me today. that's the way it has been in the past with me. Waiting for the next stage, the better stage. there was a time I, too, had to learn endurance, to ust go through. I'm still learning it. Lord, help me to rely on You more, to be thankful for the santicification, to look to that future day.

7. AnnaLee says:

"Sometimes simply getting through it is the most sanctifying, holy thing you can do. So, while you groan, while you wait with expectation, can you also look to Jesus and ask that He sit with you? We’re all waiting for something, and it’s a blessed thing to look straight in the face of Jesus and know that He’s waiting with us. Thank goodness."
    I am incredibly thankful that we have such a loving, knowing God. A God who knows that we can't do this by ourselves; a God who knows how scared and marred we are from this life. In many ways, I've been trying to simply get through a lot in my life, and I'm praying that while I believe there's nothing I can do about a lot of heartbreak between me and my ex right now, there will come a time when he'll be more in my life than hurt; that there will be understanding and grace where there is none (and that in many ways, that'd happen now, even when we cannot give understanding and grace directly to each other).
    Oh, how we are all waiting in expectation, father. Come closer to us, here. Let us drink from your cup and hear your heartbeat. Give us the strength to wait; give us the courage to always do your will.
    Have a blessed thanksgiving, sisters!!