give thanks in suffering

from the give thanks in suffering reading plan

1 Peter 4:12-19, Romans 5: 3-5, Job 2:3

BY Diana Stone

Text: 1 Peter 4:12-19, Romans 5: 3-5, Job 2:3

“ I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” -Romans 8:18

It’s hard to be thankful while your world is crashing down. The ending of a job, the illness of a loved one; so many circumstances in life take our breath away.

We are a world uncomfortable with long term, deep suffering. We want to fix or be fixed quickly. We offer advice, platitudes, prayers and cries to God of, “Why us? Why them?” No one wants to suffer, and yet we all experience it at some point. And when we do, there are myriads of suggestions on how we should handle it.

As we walk through our valleys, we do not have to dwell on the pain we have. Often this seems wrong and backwards – that we would dare to find joy in the suffering. Isn’t that a betrayal of the pain? Do we need to be ashamed that we didn’t get our prayers answered, that in the eyes of others we believed in a God who ignored us? Saying we’re thankful and hopeful in these situations seems naive and maybe just a bit crazy to those who are watching.

As Christians, we are able to honestly say, “This hurts, it hurts so much, and I’m not happy about it; but I have a great hope that this pain is temporary because of what my God did.” Job was considered a “man of integrity” by God Himself for enduring all he did and yet choosing to be faithful to the Lord (Job 2:3).  While Jesus was a man of sorrow at times, He didn’t allow that to define His life. In fact, He died so that we would have hope even in the suffering of our earthly lives. It’s ok to be sad, but we know Jesus lived, died and rose again so that we can know in the midst of terrible pain that this isn’t all there is.

Our hope is never in vain when it’s in Jesus. Our thanksgiving in suffering is a testament of how temporary the pain is, and how great we know our joy will be one day.

“And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
Romans 5:5

_________________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved hymn for each day of our Give Thanks plan. Today, we invite you to listen to “My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less” as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

30 thoughts on "give thanks in suffering"

1. gemamac says:

Trading My Sorrows – from a Women of Faith conference

2. AnnaLee says:

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life."
    -Psalm 143:8

This has been one of my dearly held bible verses for the past few days. The Lord knows us. He knows every desire and pain of our hearts; He knows what our souls need. God's love is unfailing, even in the trial, and even in the waiting (I didn't mean for that to rhyme, haha). How joyous it is to be reminded of Christ's faithful love for us! Thank God for SRT- this study has been helping me to look to our God more and more, and to be content and thankful for wherever He places me. God's love is ALWAYS ENOUGH.

3. Lola. says:

Also, if anyone would like to start a bible study group for our SRT devos, email me at [email protected]

4. Lola says:

Here’s an unpopular opinion.

Sometimes it’s a part of God’s will to allow us to go through the suffering. Some people want to think God wouldn’t allow that, but why wouldn’t He? He sent His own Son to die on a cross and suffer under the hands of His own people. What makes us so entitled to a suffer-free life? Instead, in times of suffering, we should be thankful because God has a plan to use that suffering for good

1. Leenda324 says:

I think some American Christians are the only Christians who have ever thought that suffering is anomalous in the life of a believer! Certainly, the church has been persecuted throughout the centuries — and, alas, sometimes been the persecutors of others.

5. Dawn says:

Thankful, thankful that I've found this community of women. To know that we all have problems and we all struggle everyday and are not alone in this world that pulls us in different directions. So much so that we don't know where we are coming or going, we get caught up in being busy we lose ourselves. Thanks be to God, that wonderful Redeemer, Friend, Counselor, Savior, and Comforter. My memory verse these past two weeks.
    Psalm 51:10-NIV "Create in me a pure heart, O God. And renew a steadfast spirit within me."

1. AnnaLee says:

Amen, Dawn! How blessed we all are, to have Christ and to have each other during this life!

6. Jess says:

I am reminded of a song we have been singing lately at church – Hillsong's Cornerstone
    "When Darkness seems to hide His face
    I rest on His unchanging grace
    In every high and stormy gale
    My anchor holds within the veil
    My anchor holds within the veil

Christ alone; cornerstone
    Weak made strong; in the Saviour's love
    Through the storm, He is Lord
    Lord of all
    He is Lord
    Lord of all"

1. Candacejo says:

My sons sing this song as worship leaders…LOVE it!!!!

2. Lindsey says:

Thank you for the reminder of this song. He is Lord, Lord of all!!! Happy tears and praise be to God!

7. jesusgirl71 says:

thank you, jesus, for helping me in the trials. Definitely have room for improvement here. Be blessed.

8. Ioneem says:

Thank you SRT for this series onThankfulness. It brought back so many memories of my dear Mother. This was her theme for her life along with "be content in all things". I am so grateful for her teaching, she was a dear woman of God. I know first Hand how hard it is to always be thankful when you hurt. Only with Gods strength can I do this. Bless you all during this holiday season !