give thanks in suffering

from the give thanks in suffering reading plan

1 Peter 4:12-19, Romans 5: 3-5, Job 2:3

BY Diana Stone

Text: 1 Peter 4:12-19, Romans 5: 3-5, Job 2:3

“ I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” -Romans 8:18

It’s hard to be thankful while your world is crashing down. The ending of a job, the illness of a loved one; so many circumstances in life take our breath away.

We are a world uncomfortable with long term, deep suffering. We want to fix or be fixed quickly. We offer advice, platitudes, prayers and cries to God of, “Why us? Why them?” No one wants to suffer, and yet we all experience it at some point. And when we do, there are myriads of suggestions on how we should handle it.

As we walk through our valleys, we do not have to dwell on the pain we have. Often this seems wrong and backwards – that we would dare to find joy in the suffering. Isn’t that a betrayal of the pain? Do we need to be ashamed that we didn’t get our prayers answered, that in the eyes of others we believed in a God who ignored us? Saying we’re thankful and hopeful in these situations seems naive and maybe just a bit crazy to those who are watching.

As Christians, we are able to honestly say, “This hurts, it hurts so much, and I’m not happy about it; but I have a great hope that this pain is temporary because of what my God did.” Job was considered a “man of integrity” by God Himself for enduring all he did and yet choosing to be faithful to the Lord (Job 2:3).  While Jesus was a man of sorrow at times, He didn’t allow that to define His life. In fact, He died so that we would have hope even in the suffering of our earthly lives. It’s ok to be sad, but we know Jesus lived, died and rose again so that we can know in the midst of terrible pain that this isn’t all there is.

Our hope is never in vain when it’s in Jesus. Our thanksgiving in suffering is a testament of how temporary the pain is, and how great we know our joy will be one day.

“And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
Romans 5:5

_________________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved hymn for each day of our Give Thanks plan. Today, we invite you to listen to “My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less” as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

30 thoughts on "give thanks in suffering"

1. paula says:

Thank you remember He is still there and sees our suffering, in Him we find peace.

2. Tami says:

This study was very hard for me..I’m finding it very difficult to give thanks when I am suffering over the lost of my 9 year old…it’s been 7 months and I don’t know how to be thankful for this type of pain

1. paula says:

God knows keep trusting Him

3. Stephanie says:

I love this. There are so many times when I have a hard time and when I try to express it people are like “but you need to speak faith” so glad that someone finally wrote about this, it may be hard but God is bigger and has a better plan.

4. SarahJaneL says:

I used to hope for a perfect, stress- and problem-free life. Wondering when life would become easy and I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed. It's only recently after beginning SRT devotionals and really reading the Bible in depth for the first time that I've come to realize (after 31 years of living on this Earth) that life is never going to be easy. Each of us has our own struggles, problems, and less than ideal circumstances we must face. But I've been able to find peace in this realization. Peace in God's promise to never forsake me. Peace in knowing that He will carry me through. Peace in knowing I'm growing closer to Him by growing and learning through the suffering. For this I am thankful!

5. Jennifer says:

I tend to deal with pain daily but I have to remember that it is temporary. I have at times also cried out asking why something would have to happen. I am realizing with this study that God is not ignoring me. I also have to remember that God knows what I need and when even if I do not know. He also stands beside me in all of the hurt and pain and all I have to do is turn to him. Thank all who shared their stories. You have helped me a lot today.