give thanks in security

from the give thanks in security reading plan

Exodus 16

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: Exodus 16

There is something amazing about our insatiable hunger for more. We are rarely satisfied, and particularly so if we cannot see where our next provision is coming from. We grumble and complain and wring our hands. We exhaust ourselves, playing out every scenario. And we know no peace.

But, thankfully, we know that we can experience God’s secure peace here on Earth.

In Exodus 16, we encounter the Israelites a while after they left Egypt. They are getting to the point where they are frustrated with Moses and wondering if they will ever eat again. Their former life of slavery is looking pretty good at this point, because at least they had food then. But now? Now they have no clue where their food is going to come from and they don’t trust their leaders.

He made it rain bread from the sky, enough for each days’ meal. He made it rain just enough bread to last the whole group through the day. Verse 18 tells us that “whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack.” How is that for certainty?

Can you imagine waking up each day and knowing that, regardless of what you do, your work is going to be enough? That you will not go without and you will also not have excess?

Our daily bread may not rain down from the sky, but our God is just as faithful to us today as He was to the Israelites then. If you are in a season where things seem unsure, you can be sure that our God provides. He is as secure and sure and steadfast as it gets.

_________________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved hymn for each day of our Give Thanks plan. Today, we invite you to listen to “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

13 thoughts on "give thanks in security"

1. journalsofavagabond says:

I am so thankful that I have discovered this blog/plan. It has been so timely. My hunger is so huge but there are times when even though I know that God has this great feast laid out, I want to satisfy myself with smaller lower things, which never makes me happy. My worst trait is to "Be still and know" instead I want to question and querry and wonder and grumble, all the while talking about how it should be different. Lord teach me to be obedient and to follow you without questioning. Satisfy my hunger Lord.

2. AnnaLee says:

I think I said it well when I replied to Valanne's comment, so I'm gonna copy it a bit here, but sometimes- and a lot, recently- I keep asking God the same old questions. He's explicitly told me "To know that He is God" and "that he's got me," and yet I grumble and struggle because it's not a "clear" or "grand" enough answer for me, and I never seem to be satisfied, even when that message should be all I need to live joyfully here! Lord, forgive me for not letting you provide what you will and in the way that you will. Help me to learn that YOU and YOUR faithfulness are the answer to all of our questions– I need not seek any further than Your face.

1. AnnaLee says:

"But God. But God, in His infinite provision, wanted the Israelites to understand that He was God. He is always a sure bet." I so needed to hear that.

3. Diane says:

I was thinking these thought over the weekend. With nothing pressing in on me, still I felt restless I the face of many blessings,I wasn't enjoying all the The Lord had done for me!
    I started quoting the 23 Psalm, The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. slowly my perspective started to brighten, the day was brighter.
    Lord Jesus? You are all I need, you are enough for my daily bread.
    Amen

4. Jari says:

Must say this devotional has been great!!! Before the summer, I found that we are expecting again. It has been 6 years and was not planned. I have been going through a lot and the fact that God will supply everything that we need is awesome!! "He provides, he is secure, sure and steadfast." Thanks SRT!!

5. Valanne says:

My grumblings are not really against man but the Lord. Yet even though he makes this very clear, he hears the grumbling and still chooses to bless me. And then even though he provides assurance that he's got my back, I grumble some more because it's not exactly how I would want it. Oh Lord please forgive me for my times of grumbling and help my heart to be thankful for your good and timely provisions.

1. AnnaLee says:

Valanne, I totally hear you on this. Sometimes- and a lot, recently- I keep asking God the same old questions, I seem to get the answer "Wait" or "Know that I am God," and I refuse to be satisfied with it. When you say, "And then even though he provides assurance that he's got my back, I grumble some more because it's not exactly how I would want it," it couldn't be more relevant to my life; he's said that exact thing to me, and yet I grumble and struggle because it's not a "clear enough" answer for me. Lord, forgive us for not letting you provide what you will and in the way that you will. Thank you. You are a good, gracious God, and I pray that you'd help us to learn that YOU and YOUR faithfulness are the answer to all of our questions.

6. Joanne Sher says:

Uncertainty is so difficult for me. Definitely a planner. Did I EVER need this reminder – no matter how uncertain my life may seem, God's presence and care is always a sure thing. What else do I need?

Thank you.

7. Candacejo says:

Hayley, you are so right, we are rarely satisfied, I am rarely satisfied. But the Word said, "My God shall supply all your NEED according to His riches in Glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19.

He has always supplied my NEEDS…not always my WANTS, they may not have been what was best for me!

Today I am thankful for that, for the comfort and security in knowing He cares enough to say "No", or "Wait", all for my good because He first loved me.

So thankful for the peace and security in HIM…we are blessed, so very blessed sisters, to know Him!

Here-is-my-song-I-can't-get-out-of-my-head-this-week…David Crowder's Here's My Heart, Lord! You will be singing it too!

1. Janee White says:

I just love that song!

8. Cynthia says:

Thank you Hayley for this on-time, seasonal word; it spoke volumes this morning. I truly am learning much from God and seeing through a different set of lenses during this season in my life. As the song says…”I won’t complain.”