give thanks in wandering

from the give thanks in wandering reading plan

2 Corinthians 15:2, Jeremiah 29:13, Mark 9:24, Proverbs 25:2

BY Diana Stone

Text: 2 Chronicles 15:2, Jeremiah 29:13, Mark 9:24, Proverbs 25:2

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13

This August, when my third son took his last breaths in my arms, I threw back my head in disbelief and screamed, “I don’t understand!” When I lost my twin boys last May, I felt God wrap His arms around me in my grief. I felt it so deeply that there was almost a longing to have that again as my grief lessened over time.

This time I didn’t feel that. I felt empty, forgotten, dropped. I began searching for God – where did He go during this? Why had he let my child suffer so much on earth?

Seasons in our lives require us to search for God (Proverbs 25:2). It isn’t that he hides from us as in a game, jumping out at the last second with a “SURPRISE! Sorry you were so late, things could have been different if you’d had just looked in the closet first.” It’s more of a withdrawal we experience when our humanity suddenly has to throw our rational concept of God out the window.

How many of us understand God? Feel like we’ve got Him figured out? Judging from the comments we all receive in a season of wandering – cliches of certainty like “God has done this for a reason!” and “ This must be God’s will!” – it seems many of us have put our Lord in a neat little box.

To my shock, I found it really doesn’t work that way. My wandering often leads to more doubt. I search scriptures, read books, even google questions – and I have to catch myself at times. I realize I’m looking for an answer that isn’t mine to know yet.

When we wander in search of God, our faith is challenged and shaken. It might make us angry, and we may want to run to something that brings us immediate, earthly answers. Yet, if we allow it, even in the midst of confusion, wandering can lead us closer to a God we may not fully understand, but we can completely trust.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
– Robert Robinson

______________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved hymn for each day of our Give Thanks plan. Today, we invite you to listen to “Come Thou Fount” as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

40 thoughts on "give thanks in wandering"

1. omo says:

Thank you Diana. I love SHE READS THE TRUTH.
    ï’m so sorry for you loss. Thank you all for your comments. They are really inspiring and helpful. God bless you all.

2. paula says:

Thank I will continue to wander to Him

3. EllenMR says:

I’m a big researcher for answers! I’ll read anything I can get my hands on to find out something, ANYTHING close to an answer about what I want- no, NEED to know!!
    But, sometimes there are no answers.
    That was what I was doing for 15+ yrs. that I was “away” from faith.
    And I FINALLY figured this out these last few months of SRT:
    In this lifetime I won’t know all the answers. There are some things NOT meant for me to know! When the time is right I’ll know them, and that may be when this life is over. Then all will be made clear to me.
    Thank you Jesus!
    Amen.

4. T Thomas says:

get to me was when people say God said there will be trials and tribulations in this world. Not very comforting, but praying for those who are wandering and seek comfort in Him. We still might not get the answer we need or expect, but I believe He is near to the broken hearted.

5. T Thomas says:

Thank you Diana for sharing. We still pray for you and your family. I try not to say the cliche type responses. Most just really don’t have the words or the answers that will console. Listening most times is best so it’s all not building up inside. In our human nature, we don’t understand the unknowns. There must be a reason, an explanation, an answer, some insight. It’s hard to know that some things are not meant for us to know yet or why. Then we start to condemn ourselves. Or the comments may seem that way from others. It’s challenging for me and I will have to study more, but I personally feel that He knows our deepest pains. The holidays are hard enough without the ones who we miss so dearly. Another cliche that use to

6. Alice C says:

Thanks for your sharing. It helps me a lot indeed. Many bad things happened in this year. They make me always have the question "why?" in mind. I am wondering why God allow all these happened. Yes, sometimes, I was angry, began to doubt Him and even wanted to leave Him. I found that the earthly way is much easier and maybe will make me happier. And at the end, I found that I am actually looking for an answer God may not allow to let me have at this moment. I tried very hard to use my own intelligence, and did not know that it actually comes from disobedience.
    Thanks for your reminder, yes, just allow ourselves would be in the confusion in the seasons of life, and through which, we would come closer to Him and have more faith in Him. Amen.

7. Chris says:

This Devo is perfect for someone like myself who is in school, and growing as a woman and as a Christian. I am Learning that logic and reason are not always helpful. I love to research and gain knowledge about the unknown, w/ God that’s utterly impossible. You just have to wait for his next move. That is very difficult for me.

8. Jessie2484 says:

Thank you for this. This is my first devotional/bible plan I have done. I am fairly new to the faith (well for many years anyway).
    This particular post/readings really really spoke to me. I'm loving this plan. I can't wait to start another. If you have any recommendations on what I should try next that would be lovely.

Diana- I am so very sorry for what you went through. I can't even begin to imagine. Thank you for such a moving post.

Can any of you ladies help- my grandmother is under the weather/ill at the moment and is on bed rest. I am going round this week and as she loves to read the bible I thought I'd read to her. Can you recommend any good chapters for someone feeling depressed/under the weather? Thanks so much xx

1. journeyingwithhim says:

For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13)

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. (Psalms 42:11)

I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

I just said a prayer for your grandmother.

1. Jessie2484 says:

Thank you so much. I'm truly grateful x