give thanks in injustice

from the give thanks in injustice reading plan

1 Kings 3:5-28, Micah 6:8

BY Hayley Morgan

Text: 1 Kings 3:5-28, Micah 6:8

There is something in us that cannot tolerate injustice for long. If we know God, we know there is a right and there is a wrong. The Holy Spirit illuminates that which is contrary to God’s word, and the reaction in us can even be a visceral one. Ears burning, heart racing, chest pounding – the message is difficult to ignore.

When we sense this injustice, let us give thanks. Let us be thankful that the Holy Spirit is alive in us and that He is showing us what is awry. We may not know what to do to right the wrong, but the great news is that God is just!

God is just. It is the full, through-and-through character of God to be just. God doesn’t just act justly, He is just.

We cannot stop at simply knowing right from wrong. We have a duty to use discernment and defend justice to the extent that it is within our power to do so. In fact, Micah 6:8 says as much, stating that the Lord requires us to “act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with [our] God.”

One of the greatest kings in history, King Solomon, was an earthly example of God’s wisdom. Solomon asked for wisdom and discernment between right and wrong, and God granted him his request. In 1 Kings 3, we peek into a situation where Solomon is presiding over two women who had just given birth in the same house. One woman’s baby has passed away and the two women are now trying to claim the single living baby. Can you even imagine?

First, can you imagine how unjust the whole situation must feel to the woman whose baby passed away? And now, put yourself in the position of the woman who is now fighting for the precious newborn who is rightfully hers.

Solomon is dealing with an unjust situation all around, and it is his role to bring justice. This would be impossible without God’s help, and 1 Kings 3 states that people were in awe and perceived that it was God’s wisdom in Solomon that allows him to act with such justice.

Solomon had the wisdom of God in him and we can be thankful for the same Holy Spirit in us if we know Jesus. Even when we encounter injustice, and we will, we can be thankful that the Holy Spirit will awaken us to it and point us to the One who is ultimately just.

___________________

For an added layer of worship and study, we chose a beloved hymn for each day of our Give Thanks plan. Today, we invite you to listen to “Thy Mercy, My God” as we dwell on the truth of God’s word together.

33 thoughts on "give thanks in injustice"

1. thuli says:

every time I walk away from God, I find myself praying Jesus Jesus, this lesson was so inline with what I dreamt, I was given a house to stay with my kids, I have been praying for a place to stay a saw it in a dream. I can't explain this but thankful

2. 1busimom says:

I think the most difficult people/persons to accept being unjust is the church body itself. I have been a Christian all my life and love God. However, I have been dealing with abandonment and neglect from my church for almost a year now since my mom passed away. She died on December 21, but the church was too busy getting ready for Christmas in a new building an didn’t have time for me. This included a best friend that joined the ministry staff and decided that she would rather be my pastor than a best friend. That still
    Hurts to this day. But I wonder how many non believers or baby Christians were
    Overlooked at the same time and may not be walking with God now because of it.

I pray daily for God to help me lay this down and move on but it has been a long hard struggle.

3. colleen says:

God is so good! Despite the fact that He knew Soloman would go off the rails, he still blessed him with wisdom etc. Soloman, sadly did some very unjust things to his own family/children, but eventually he was reconverted in his old age…and God saw that would happen, hence he allowed him to live. God is indeed merciful!

4. T Thomas says:

Injustices happening daily all around us. I once asked myself why do bad things happen to good people and why do good people do bad things? I also struggle once I have been wronged. I grew up being told that 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Being the bigger person, being just, knowing right from wrong, not following the crowd, speaking up instead of remaining silent, turning the other cheek. Whether I get an apology or not, whether they confess to their wrongs or not, I’m called to forgive, show mercy, and love my neighbor. I need help in this area. I judge, complain, harbor unhealthy and ungodly feelings. I want them to know how much they hurt me. I want justice right then and there. How unfair it is. How we take matters into our own hands which normally doesn’t end well. He is the one and only true Judge. He showed us love, grace, and mercy undeserved. We were pardoned of our sins, slate now blameless. I in turn must forgive.

5. Melissa B says:

I have been participating in SRT studies for about six months but rarely comment. SRT has been so important to me as I have been emerging from a season of drought and doubt. Thank you, SRT, for your ministry! Thank you also to those of you who almost daily poor out your heart as you reflect upon what you have read and what God is teaching you. Candacejo, Amy Kelly, Valanne, Misce, Ibukun, Janee, etc…your comments mean just as much as the writers of SRT themselves. Thanks to all for your transparency!

6. LaurenC_ says:

These hymns that are posted at the end of each day's reading have been such a blessing to me. They are soothing my aching heart and worried soul. Thank you, SRT ladies, for adding this extra blessing to this plan.

1. I’m seriously so glad to hear that, Lauren! I love them, too!

7. Joanne says:

This is yet another reminder that God is so holy and just that we can't begin to comprehend. We may be in a very difficult circumstance, but God says "trust me " because God WILL provide for and protect those He loves. Where I sometimes find myself in trouble is when I allow a judgmental spirit to sneak in, especially when someone wounds me. This is how Satan works. How quickly we forget the "planks" in our own eyes when someone else's sin is glaringly obvious! God, forgive me for not forgiving and refusing to show mercy as you commanded.