twilight

from the twilight reading plan

2 Peter

BY Sarah Matheny

Morning, girls! Really excited to dig into 2 Peter with you these next 8 days – and to read through the entire book today! I apologize that the YouVersion side of things wasn’t live first thing this morning, but it’s available now right here!

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

__________________________________________

Text: 2 Peter

If you’ve ever spent time with someone in the twilight of his or her life, you understand the wisdom they often have to offer, and at times, are quite desperate to share.  We are privileged to get the opportunity to soak in such wisdom with Peter in his writings in 2 Peter.

Ladies, Peter 2 is a short book, but it’s chock full of some major messages.  And those messages come from a Chosen source.  Peter was a servant by choice, but an apostle by divine appointment.  As such, we should perk our ears to the wisdom he shares near the end of his life.

Encouraging descriptions of our experience in Christ.
Powerful warnings of false teachers.
The guarantee of Christ’s joyful return.

Though Peter lived in a much different time, these messages are timeless, if not extra necessary, today. They speak of first-hand experiences of a man who walked – literally walked – with Christ.  And most importantly, they speak of Truth, the most timeless message of all.

As we prepare for this weeklong study today, we invite you to take a cursory reading of 2 Peter, familiarizing yourself with the central messages.  Then, come back tomorrow when we’ll start to dig deeper.

Come, take in Peter’s experience and wisdom.  Soak it in.  Share what words reach you.  Your own perspective and insight is so valuable to our study.

We look forward to this week of learning and growing with you!

50 thoughts on "twilight"

1. ed sheran says:

you possess a excellent weblog here! do you need to cook some invite posts in this little blog?

2. T Thomas says:

Can’t wait to dig deeper into 2 Peter. What always catches me is how a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a day. Might seem like we have lots of time but thank God for his patience and not wanting anyone to perish, but wants to give us all time to come to repentance. I don’t want to perish like those who didn’t pay attention to Noah. He keeps his promises and this world will also to come to that time of judgment.

3. Jenny says:

The word "respond" jumped out at me in verse 5. This is an action step. In order to grow in your faith you must DO SOMETHING. God has given us the tools we need, we must only respond. Love it!

4. Andrea says:

“Peter was a servant by choice, but an apostle by divine appointment.” Those words really got my attention because I’ve recently been called to teach & preach God’s Word. What a revelation this is!!!

5. Marie says:

ladies please pray for me…for the longest I was an avid reader of the Word. For awhile I longed for a group of women to read and share the Word. I came across SRT. I knew it was God answering my prayers. I have started and stopped many devotionals. I signed up for this one hoping and praying I’ll stick to it. it’s only 8 days….Thanks for all your comments and support. GBU SRT WRITERS AND GROUP.

1. Jesyka says:

Marie-
      So glad you are here! Thank you for sharing and being vulnerable. Being diligent to read the word is difficult sometimes! I pray that this is a LONG season of consistent time soaking in His Word. That you would encounter Jesus more and more through each day. And that you would find His joy through His LIFE-giving Word.

Blessings!

6. Cynthia says:

There is no mistaken that Peter’s time with Paul was well spent. It is also evident that Peter clearly remembers the life changing times that he spent with our Lord and Savior.

Luke 22:32 appears to be on his mind as he writes words of encouragement. Peter’s faith remained intact through all the trials and tribulations in his life. That day in which he boldly declared “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.” It is that same faith on which the Church still stands today! Christ the Solid Rock; the very gates of hell cannot prevail against it.

Peter believe it until the very end. Like Paul, he fought the good fight and he finished the race just as strongly as he had begun it.

7. Anita says:

I love this study and 2Peter contains one of my favorite passages: "His Devine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness". A long time ago I heard great advice from Mary Welchel of "The Christian working woman". It was a radio broadcast that I use to listen to in the mornings. She said to take this passage in 2Peter 1:5-7, and next to verse 5 write the age you are today then make an arrow down to verse 5 and write the age you will be in 10 years from now. She said to use this passage as a spiritual growth gage for yourself, It is great advice and a good gage to guide the next 10 years of our lives! So blessed and looking forward to this study with you all!

1. Anita says:

Correction to what I wrote above…."arrow down to verse 7 and write the age you will be 10 years from now". Sorry about the typo! Hope someone will find this a valuable tool for their growth! Blessings!