our testimony to persecution

from the our testimony to persecution reading plan

1 Peter 3:8-12, James 3:9, John 16:33

BY Diana Stone

Text: 1 Peter 3:8-12, James 3:9, John 16:33

As you read this, you’re on some sort of device connecting you to thousands of other people. iPad, phone, computer; whatever it is, you’ve likely used it for more than simply reading. Millions of us talk, to share, and to pour out our feelings online.

Some use this to hurt.

Often referred to online as “trolls”, these are people who leave vicious, brutal comments on other’s writings and postings. Sometimes we have no idea who they are. Sometimes we do. In either case, it causes most of us to immediately put up our defenses. We don’t like to be accused, maligned, or misunderstood. We want it corrected – NOW.

It’s the next step though, that shows us and others watching how mature we are in Christ. On a scale of 1-10 in Christian maturity (Jesus being an 11) I’m probably a 1.5. I have a very, very hard time keeping my fingers from typing every angry, sarcastic, vengeful thought that crosses my mind as I read words directed at me.

“With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness.” (James 3:9, NIV)

Peter writes, “Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing.”

This theme of grace is repeated in the Bible in so many ways. Turning the other cheek. Love your neighbor. Yet, it’s so hard to obey, because it brings up quick emotion and reaction.

Instead of instant rage – we should turn to instant prayer. Who better understands betrayal, hurt, angry words, and vile acts upon Him that did no wrong – ever – than Jesus? He has been there.

Sisters, as we interact with each other online and in person, remember we represent Christianity not only in lovely writing and words, but in our reactions to how others respond. Christ never promised that you wouldn’t receive backlash from others. He commands us to do the opposite.

Stop.
Breathe.
Pray.
Pour it out to the Lord.
Tell Him how much it hurts.

Then wait for a response.

Above all, remember; if Christ Himself couldn’t escape persecution on earth, who are we to think we should?

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33, ESV)

76 thoughts on "our testimony to persecution"

1. T Thomas says:

I would get cut out with the but
    Then wait for a response
    Heard you loud and clear Lord
    Don’t just stop at the pouring out
    But you can’t skip the waiting
    Pay them back with a blessing

2. T Thomas says:

Stop, Breathe, Pray
    Pour it out to the Lord
    Tell Him how much it HURTS

Trials and tribulations I’m going to be obedient and do just what it says above for after reading this I am hurting and so close to Father’s Day when I should be focused on positive things I amin a major battle in my flesh and spirit over a family matter and instead of paying it back with a blessing I have been silent to them stopped communication but I have been pouring into my husband and my mother which through this trial I have poured my hurt into them Like Tami mentioned I called my mom this week bawling over the matter I didn’t return any wrath or unkind speech because I’m also an introvert and avpid conflicts and confrontations but I

3. Joanna says:

This reminds me of a situation I was in a few years ago. I worked with a lady who I had problems with. I would let my anger get to bad, I would just complain to friends and hated going to work. One Sunday, my pastor spoke on this topic and I went home and prayed for her, for the situation and for forgiveness. The next day at work, WOW! It was such a whole new experience. She was kind, I felt so light hearted. Prayer does amazing things. Letting go and giving it to God. He knows how to handle all situations.

4. Tammy says:

Thanks to all of you SRT sisters and all the wonderful insights you ALWAYS share. Looking for wisdom on whether or not to respond and if so how to respond when my older children (18 and 20) are disrespectful, and it use that 'tone' in their voice. They are good kids. I have tried to enlist the help of my husband as I feel that if it goes unchecked/challenged by him they just continue. I feel that they need to hear it from dad. I would live to hear your thoughts.

1. Candacejo says:

Tammy, just commenting in generalities as I am 1. no expert and 2. I do not know your family situation

No matter their age your children should never be allowed to disrespect you or your husband. I think you have every right to speak up and and tell them that will not be tolerated. As long as you don't say anything they will continue to do it. Scriptures like "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Ephesians 6:1 wouldn't do any harm. Or if you really want to put the fear of God in them you might pull this one out:

"The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures." Proverbs 30:17!!! LOL!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :) But I would definitely talk to your husband and tell him how you feel that you want him to back you up on this. It is important that they know that just because they are "adults" that they can't run over you now and talk down to you.

I will pray for you sister, I raised three sons who were all taller and bigger than I was but the rule was as long as you lived in my home you abide by my rules…no disrespect allowed ♥ Blessings!

1. Tammy says:

I have said as much, and if I dare quote scripture my son says I am being 'holier than thou'. So we all know its wrong, but how do you enforce it at this point? It's not a new behavior and I think my husband tends to not notice it like I do and also has a hard time calling them on it. I daily pray that God would help my husband be the spiritual leader. Neither of us grew up with a father figure in the home, weren't raised as Christians, and so didn't have that example.

5. Elizabeth says:

I am late to the comments, but I just wanted to throw in that I love, love, LOVE "take heart, I have overcome the world." There is something about that verse that has always completed rocked me to the core. I love it.

1. LaurenC_ says: