his discipline is loving

from the his discipline is loving reading plan

Hosea 10, Galatians 6:7

BY Diana Stone

Hosea 10, Galatians 6:7

It’s so easy to read through the list of wrongdoings in Hosea that Israel has committed and think, “Wow, these people were awful. I’m glad I’m not like that.”

Sisters, we need to keep in mind that sin is sin. God grieves over our sinful nature no matter what it looks like to the human eyes. We all have idols in our lives, we all stumble, we all put human capability before our God’s sovereignty at times. No matter how sweetly it’s packaged up and delivered, it’s still sin.

God is a God of honesty. We see in Hosea that the words He speaks about what will befall Israel happen, and he also speaks of turning away from them for a time. As long as they continue being unrepentant, He will not commune with them. (Hosea 11:7 ESV)

What happens when Israel repents and turns to Him (as He knows they will)? You might be surprised to read that they have to still endure the punishments.

“Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.” (Galatians 6:7 ESV)

It’s not that God wants to see us suffer or endure hardship, but often that’s what life hands us back when we choose sin. If God intervened on every wrongdoing of ours, would we ever learn a lesson? Or would we simply learn that we need to just tritely apologize and all is back to being lovely? God knows our hearts. He knows that when we suffer the consequence of our actions, we have a chance to turn to Him again. To use that pain and those uncomfortable moments to bring is closer to His steady love for us.

Being disciplined is never pleasant. You can see Israel learn this again and again as God waits patiently for them to turn to Him in the midst, where they are able to see how they’re actions caused what is happening. He’s there to stay true to the vows He made for the consequences set, and there to guide our hearts back to Him during that time.

Praise God that He loves us enough to take those risks and have His Father’s heart hurt for us again and again as we stumble, all in hopes we draw nearer to Him.

28 thoughts on "his discipline is loving"

1. Jamie BIshop says:

I love the book of Hosea. I stumbled upon your page when I signed up for Tumblr earlier today. What a great, convenient way (your reading plans) to stay in the word!

2. Peggy says:

I so agree! What a wonderful word and message once again in this study of Hosea! As Carolyn wrote above how wonderful the Body of Christ would be if what breaks the heart of Jesus not only breaks our hearts but moves us to be JESUS!

Forgive me for my inconsistent visits here. If I come here I forget to check YouVersion and if I go there I usually don't have time to come back here and comment in the am but I try to come and read at least before pm (and give y'all a "thumbs up")!

Thank you all that regularly add your insights and caring thoughts to accompany these great messages!

3. Haley says:

I am reminded of a song that says, " heal my heart and make it clean. Open up my eyes to the things unseen. Show me how to love like you have loved me. Break my heart for what breaks yours." Challenging.

1. Carolynmimi says:

What a wonderful world, hey! How wonderful the Body of Christ would be every heart was broken by what breaks the heart of Jesus!

Amen.

4. Ellen MR says:

Praying for all my Sisters who need it! I ALWAYS feel your prayers, I hope you feel just as blessed when everyone prays for you when in need!
    Thank you for always responding, for always caring!
    Praying blessings and peace for all of you today and always!

5. Carolynmimi says:

All these comments made me remember when I first really turned my life over to God, after years of running from my childhood conversion. I had oodles of Big Sins to confess. Once those were acknowledged, I began to notice promptings from the Holy Spirit about little stuff, well, little compared to the big stuff, I had already confessed. So, again and again, from the big to the medium sized, to the little, and so on, I began to see myself in God's light. You know what, I still feel dirty when God says " Did you wash your hands, before coming to the table." I still pamper some of my "little sins" and am not entirely free of some of the larger ones, but I know the cleansing power of confession and Acceptance of His forgiveness. When I start to judge others, the HS nudges me and says look at your hands, they are dripping with the blood of Jesus.

1. rocknitat55 says:

Awesome carolyn,Ditto

6. One thing that I saw in this section was that God is unchanging. He can't look at sin, He cannot be unjust, and He cannot be unloving. It is way too much to get my mind around. But, even though God's discipline can be excruciating, and feeling the weight of my own sin can be truly unbearable, God cannot be any other way. A changeable God wouldn't be God, but god, and in fact all of the god's I choose to often too follow. I am so thankful for these words in Hosea. Challenging, revealing, and so necessary. I wrote a post on my blog about sanctification and I think, from all of the comments, we are all in that process. http://scripturesquegraphics.com/process/

Much Grace Ladies

7. LeahTvt says:

Yeah–“My sin is not as bad as their sin.” Guilty. That’s a sneaky one–that attitude. Lord, help me! I pray for humility. Help me to see my sin–all my sin–so I can confess & repent. This devo sure is making me dig deep. Thanks SRT! Blessings, ladies!

8. Allison says:

It is so easy for me to get caught up in the "my sin is not as bad as theirs" attitude. Oh how I need to work on that! When spending time in prayer with the Lord I am always up front about my sin but in the back of my mind I always think…it's really not that bad right?! A little gossiping, cutting corners at work, cursing, being quick to anger, etc. can't really be the worse sin right? WRONG! Sin is sin in God's eyes and God is grieving over these "little" sins even if they seem small to my human eye. What an eye-opening devotional today. Today I am going to start fresh. Lord, let my eyes be open and my heart honest with each and every sin that happens throughout the day…big or small, let me take heart of it and stop and focus on You in that moment so that I may be truthful about my sin and work on cutting ALL sin, down to the itty bitty small sin, out of my life! Have a blessed Saturday, sisters!

1. anngoerz says:

exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks Allison!

2. Margie says:

Thank you for your prayer Allison. It is so easy to justify sin, if it's just a little sin right? Sin is sin.

Just as I was reading your comment, right then, I was convicted about a situation this past week that I hadn't thought too much about.

Father, God! Forgive me; show me those areas that i justify. Create in me a pure heart.

Lord, bless each and everyone of these sisters in Christ that yearn to draw closer to you. Be with those that are anticipating a move in their lives; those who struggle with leadership as opposed to assisting (I too can relate [email protected] and I am praying for you!) Thank you for all of the comments posted this morning that has given me the opportunity to search my own heart and be honest about my sin. Have a blessed day, sisters!