he sovereignly waits while we run

from the he sovereignly waits while we run reading plan

Hosea 5, 2 Kings 17:19-20, Jeremiah 2:27

BY Diana Stone

Hosea 5, 2 Kings 17:19-20, Jeremiah 2:27

Hosea 5 is a chapter with a twofold meaning. At first, reading it through perhaps makes you tremble. After all, we can see ourselves in Israel. Their disobedience, idolatry, pride, and choosing man over God. God’s wrath is evident in this chapter as He pours His words into the text.

God knows that Israel’s pride of earthly blessings and accomplishments has hardened their hearts towards seeking him. Interestingly, although God has blessed them with these things, Israel turns to other kings for guidance and protection. The people have decided that turning to sinful man is easier than repenting and returning to their Lord.

“Their deeds do not permit them to return to their God. A spirit of prostitution is in their heart; they do not acknowledge the Lord.” (Hosea 5:4 NIV)

God decrees that He will be present in their secret and public judgements (Hosea 5:12, 14), that Israel will stumble in its wickedness (Hosea 5:5), and that He will forsake them (Hosea 5:6). Reading these verses makes me cringe a little. They seem so harsh, so bare.

Until you read the end. “Then I will return to my lair until they have borne their guilt and seek my face – in their misery they will earnestly seek me.” (Hosea 5:15 NIV)

If you’re thinking, “That doesn’t seem much better,” read it with the spirit of love. A spirit that is wounded. Think about if Israel was someone you cared so deeply for that you could never let go, that you would do anything for, but they continually turn away from you. Think of Hosea and his wife.

God knows that Israel will turn to him again, but they will do so in unhappiness. In need. So often in the Bible, they will only seek His face and love when they are at rock bottom and, like a wise parent with an unruly child, He lets them fall to that point first. (2 Kings 17:19-20 NLT)

Would He love to see them have it all and praise Him for it? Yes. To be blessed abundantly, beyond their wildest dreams, and still turn to Him for their needs and worship? Absolutely. Does this happen with them? Does Israel ever stay with God when they’re on top of the world? (Jeremiah 2:27 NLT)

Do we?

So God waits. He watches us with sadness, with righteous anger, with tender grief for all we must go through again. When we return to Him broken and hands out, He holds us close. He starts over again, patiently teaching us about His love and our need to obey and be humbled.

“And now, O Lord, thou art our father, and we are clay: and thou art our maker, and we all are the works of thy hands.” (Isaiah 64:8)

25 thoughts on "he sovereignly waits while we run"

1. Thank you for this devo today! The 2 words that came to mind as I thought about the reading today were humility and dependence. Whether we realize it or not, just like the Israelites we are completely dependent on God. When we suddenly realize this through life's circumstances we can be momentarily humbled. I am blessed to have a chronic condition that daily reminds me of my dependence on God. On the days when I feel the best I am truly the most dangerous-because I can forget my dependence and lose my humility. I never thought that I would view dependence or feeling puny as a blessing, but it is.

Much Grace in the journey ladies

2. Margie says:

The lost sheep, the lost coin, the lost son…

In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away! -Luke 15:7 (NLT)

Heavenly Father, thank you that you wait….patiently. Your love and mercy never ending. I lift my hands and heart to you in thanks. Oh, how he loves us!

Today is the day The Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it!

Peace and love to you my sisters in Christ~

3. Diana says:

Thank you Lord for your unfailing love and mercy. That even when we are faithless and you remain ever faithful because that is who you are. Thank you that your love never fails and you are always ready to take us back when we've strayed. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

4. suebee says:

What a wonderful devo today! I have often skipped over the parts of the bible that seem harsh only wanting to think of the loving ways of God….but today puts a whole new light on this for me. Thank you thank you thank you! We serve a loving God who patiently waits for us…THANK YOU LORD!

5. Elizabeth says:

I feel like I have been through many aspects of this passage in Hosea today. How many times have I chosen to remain in sin rather than running back to God, believing that the former was easier?! And how many times has He caught me right before I really went over the edge. I actually found such comfort in the very last verse – “Then I will return to my lair until they have borne their guilt and seek my face – in their misery they will earnestly seek me.” I have been there – in misery, realizing the weight of my sin, finally seeking God again. And while its painful when you're in that place, there is NOTHING like realizing the weight of God's LOVE and MERCY.

1. Melinda says:

This phrase caught my eye too. I can really relate to your words!

2. Deborah says:

Your words describe how my life has been. Health issues have kept me out of God's house. But praise Him, for he is everywhere. And this program has been so helpful to me. I find myself seeking Him and wanting to be filled with the Spirit. I have felt closer to God though this program than ever.

6. jesusgirl71 says:

This is why we call Him Father…

thank You for this, o Lord! but o Lord, hmay I come to You always, not just ni trouble. I am ashamed of that propensity. don't we get so mad when some of our friends and others just come to us when they want something or need something from us? but You don't, o god! You still love! Help me to spread that love to those who do this to me, but also, help me to not draw away from You when things are going well.

1. Melinda says:

You nailed this on the head foe me with your analogy about friends seeking us only when they needsomething.

7. AmyKelly213 says:

Today's devotion was so beautifully written.

This is why we call Him Father…

8. Chai says:

“God you are our master and we are your humble servant, but still you consider us as yours, your sons and your daughters, your friend. Inspite of our shortcomings, you never left us helpless, you send someone or give something that will make us see the light again… Oh God…Thank you for your kindness and everlasting love”