he sovereignly waits while we run

from the he sovereignly waits while we run reading plan

Hosea 5, 2 Kings 17:19-20, Jeremiah 2:27

BY Diana Stone

Hosea 5, 2 Kings 17:19-20, Jeremiah 2:27

Hosea 5 is a chapter with a twofold meaning. At first, reading it through perhaps makes you tremble. After all, we can see ourselves in Israel. Their disobedience, idolatry, pride, and choosing man over God. God’s wrath is evident in this chapter as He pours His words into the text.

God knows that Israel’s pride of earthly blessings and accomplishments has hardened their hearts towards seeking him. Interestingly, although God has blessed them with these things, Israel turns to other kings for guidance and protection. The people have decided that turning to sinful man is easier than repenting and returning to their Lord.

“Their deeds do not permit them to return to their God. A spirit of prostitution is in their heart; they do not acknowledge the Lord.” (Hosea 5:4 NIV)

God decrees that He will be present in their secret and public judgements (Hosea 5:12, 14), that Israel will stumble in its wickedness (Hosea 5:5), and that He will forsake them (Hosea 5:6). Reading these verses makes me cringe a little. They seem so harsh, so bare.

Until you read the end. “Then I will return to my lair until they have borne their guilt and seek my face – in their misery they will earnestly seek me.” (Hosea 5:15 NIV)

If you’re thinking, “That doesn’t seem much better,” read it with the spirit of love. A spirit that is wounded. Think about if Israel was someone you cared so deeply for that you could never let go, that you would do anything for, but they continually turn away from you. Think of Hosea and his wife.

God knows that Israel will turn to him again, but they will do so in unhappiness. In need. So often in the Bible, they will only seek His face and love when they are at rock bottom and, like a wise parent with an unruly child, He lets them fall to that point first. (2 Kings 17:19-20 NLT)

Would He love to see them have it all and praise Him for it? Yes. To be blessed abundantly, beyond their wildest dreams, and still turn to Him for their needs and worship? Absolutely. Does this happen with them? Does Israel ever stay with God when they’re on top of the world? (Jeremiah 2:27 NLT)

Do we?

So God waits. He watches us with sadness, with righteous anger, with tender grief for all we must go through again. When we return to Him broken and hands out, He holds us close. He starts over again, patiently teaching us about His love and our need to obey and be humbled.

“And now, O Lord, thou art our father, and we are clay: and thou art our maker, and we all are the works of thy hands.” (Isaiah 64:8)

25 thoughts on "he sovereignly waits while we run"

1. LaurenC_ says:

Grateful for a God of second chances… and third… and fourth… and fifth… and sixth…and…! Lord, please open my eyes to see, my ears to hear, my mind to understand, my heart to feel, and my soul to know. Make me teachable. I want to learn. Amen.

2. Debbie says:

Well written though. God you are good, your love is far reaching, you care so much for us. As we run away from you your heart saddens, knowing we are running away from blessings, your security, your love, your protection and so much more. Wow. Love you Lord.

3. Candacejo says:

Higher than the mountains that I face
    Stronger than the power of the grave
    Constant through the trial and the change
    One thing remains
    One thing remains

Your love never fails, it never gives up it never runs out on me!
    Your love never fails, it never gives up it never runs out on me!
    Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me!

On and on and on and on it goes
    It overwhelms and satisfies my soul
    And I never ever have to be afraid
    One thing remains

In death and in life I'm confident and covered by the power of your great love!
    My debt is paid there's nothing that can separate my heart from your great love!

1. Elizabeth says:

Thank God His love never fails. LOVE this song!

1. Candacejo says:

Me too!! I never ever have to be afraid!! :)

4. Carolynmimi says:

On the mountain or in the valley
    Ever present, always near
    Watching closely, weeping softly
    Oh the anguish of your tears

On my knees prostrate before you,
    Or Flaunting boundaries built to shield
    Climbing walls, embracing sin
    Running wildly through the alleys
    Spinning, tripping, falling hard
    Filth clinging to me like a banner
    Of my wayward wanton heart.

On the mountain or in the valley
    Ever present, always near
    Watching closely, weeping softly
    Oh the anguish of your tears

On my knees prostrate before you
    Crying "Abba, come and save me"
    Wipe my tears and heal my bruises
    Hold me in your arms again.
    Teach me, guide me, help me stand.
    Your love and mercy like a banner
    Flung from my repentant heart.

On the mountain or in the valley
    Ever present, always near
    Watching closely, weeping softly
    Oh the anguish of your tears

1. Julia says:

thank you Carolyn!! such beautiful words that speak to me heart.. a song? poem?
      gratefully, julia

1. Carolynmimi says:

Just what came to me yesterday morning after reading the scripture and devotional. Considering all the times I have caused God anguish.

1. LaurenC_ says:

How beautiful! Have you always written poetry?

1. Carolynmimi says:

Some not very good at it, but sometimes seems right

5. Julia says:

i stand before you Lord. Broken with my hands out to You. Save me!! The weight of my sins is so very heavy on my heart. Please forgive me Lord Jesus.

1. Elizabeth says:

I have been there (well, I think we all have), that horrible dark place… I hope you are finding peace today :)

1. Julia says:

thank you Elizabeth! i did manage find peace in the sunshine & singing birds, in my husbands corny jokes and my daughters beautiful faces and in our God's unfailing LOVE… thank you:)

2. Brandi says:

Thank you Father fir Your love and Your grace that never ends! Thank You for waiting for me to come back to this place of need, this place of raw brokeness, this place that is the end of myself. There You are. Full of compassion. What kind of love is this? Fill me with Yourself!