day 8

from the day 8 reading plan

1 Timothy 2:1-4, 1 Timothy 2:8, 1 Timothy 4:4-5

BY She Reads Truth

Join us today as we read Day 8 of the YouVersion Prayer plan, then come back here and let’s talk about what we’re learning!

33 thoughts on "day 8"

1. rachelheather says:

It struck me today not as praying to God without anger, but, in the context of the earlier verses, to pray for others without anger and dissension. I feel like we often pray for others to "see the error of their ways" or from a position that assumes we are right and they are wrong and God should change them. I think verse 8 is telling us to pray for others in humility, asking God to grant them the tranquil life of godliness and dignity that is mentioned back in verse 2.

1. Rebecca Ann says:

I didn't think of it that way and it makes so much more sense!! Thanks! :)

2. meganrae1988 says:

It also says more than just the rulers and their governments…. Before that it said to pray for EVERYONE YOU KNOW, and EVERY WAY you know how!

Wow. What a commitment.

1. Rebecca Ann says:

That's very true! Man, that is a huge commitment!

3. ChristineFergus says:

I love 1 Timothy 4:4-5!

4. Rebecca Ann says:

I absolutely loved these verses today! It doesn't matter what side the leaders of this world are on, they should be prayed for because then we may live peaceful lives that are good and pleasing to the Lord. 1 Timothy 4:8 is a very challenging verse because all individuals, man or woman, should lift their hands to God without anger but doesn't God want us to come to Him with how He knows we feel? He wrestled with Jacob, I know He would do the same for all His children. 1 Timothy 4 calls us to be thankful for everything, and like N. Carey said before me – doing something beautiful for God today so that we will be beautiful doing it.

5. N.Carey says:

Sometimes I love reading the Message alongside my ESV to help me understand God's word in a different way. 1Timothy 4:8 MSG challenged me this morning!!

Since prayer is at the bottom of all this, what I want mostly is for men to pray—not shaking angry fists at enemies but raising holy hands to God. And I want women to get in there with the men in humility before God, not primping before a mirror or chasing the latest fashions but doing something beautiful for God and becoming beautiful doing it.

Sisters, do something beautiful for God today so that you will be beautiful doing it!!

1. I love it!! I immediately changed the verses to the MSG version and it's so cool reading those verses!

Thanks for sharing and let's not chase the latest trends but do something for God! :-)

2. Tracy says:

i do that too with a couple of versions. It's really helps understand the verses better.

6. Alysa says:

Praying with others without anger or dispute – also timely. Prayer should be the focus, not our differences.

7. Jen says:

What struck me most today is the call to pray for government/leaders. In the end, it doesn't matter as much that WHO is in office so long as they are serving and hearing the people to the best of their ability. Timely, considering the constant onslaught of campaign ads around here right now.

1. Michelle says:

Hi Jen,
      I was thinking the same thing!
      1 Timothy 2:8 (NIV 1984)
      "I urge that request, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone"
      That verse drew me to our government leaders that they may remember who the ultimate leader is. With the election season in full throttle, this verse reminds me to pray our leaders will rely on God to guide their decisions.

2. meganrae1988 says:

I think every time we want to complain about the way our government is run, maybe we should take a moment to pray for it…

1. Brittany says:

I like that idea Megan.

3. Wow I'm so glad I came to this page! I was having a hard time getting something from the verses but YES pray for our leaders! Especially this election season!! :-)

8. Tracy says:

hey, my day 8 is for July 20th. That's correct, right?

1. Kim B. says:

My day 8 was yesterday. I'm assuming for me I signed up a day early & for you, you joined a day later :)

2. Nancy says:

Hmmm…my day 8 is today-July 19th.