1 Samuel

from the This Is the Old Testament reading plan

1 Samuel 8:1-22, Proverbs 1:29-33, 1 Timothy 1:15-17

BY She Reads Truth

This Is the Old Testament is part of a twelve-week thematic overview of the entire Bible. Each day we’ll read a thematic selection from a different book of the Bible, along with supplemental passages that show how the theme of that day’s main reading is found throughout Scripture. We’ll also read a brief summary of each book and a reflection on how the book fits into the larger story of Scripture. This week, we move from the Pentateuch into the second section of the Old Testament, the Historical Books.

What Is 1 Samuel? The book of 1 Samuel documents the reign of Israel’s first king, Saul. It is also a history of the nation’s pattern of sin and repentance, as well as a history of the prophet Samuel’s spiritual leadership during Israel’s transition from theocracy to monarchy.

How 1 Samuel Fits Into the Story: God raised up Samuel as a final judge to rule over Israel and call His people back to the Lord, speaking on His behalf. As Samuel advanced in age, the people of Israel continued to reject the Lord and demanded a king like those of other nations. God granted their request, and His covenant faithfulness continued to prepare the way for the redemptive work of Jesus Christ.

Reflection Questions:
1. What does the rebellion and rejection in today’s reading reveal about Israel’s posture toward God?
2. How does today’s reading shape your understanding of the story of redemption?

Take time to reflect on your responses and share what you are learning with others in the community in the comments.

54 thoughts on "1 Samuel"

1. Kim Gillis says:

We must be careful as a nation—God must be first!!! Let’s get back to Christ—a nation without God will perish. Choose Christ. Choose LOVE!!

2. Barbara says:

Today, as then, we as a collective “people” tend to look to somebody else to lead the way, take charge, make the big plan. We do not always want to be bothered with the hard stuff. But then we get sidetracked with somebody else’s plan, problems, beliefs. And we don’t stand firm in what we know to be the Truth.

3. DeeDee Barfield says:

I love this translation of this passage too Kathy!!❤️

4. Churchmouse says:

We do not choose kings here in the USA. We do choose the President as well as others to rule over us. Let us pray for discernment and wisdom before we vote. Let us be thoughtful in considering the consequences. We answer to God not political parties. He is sovereign. He is our King. Let us be good citizens in His kingdom, loyal and trusting in Him alone.

5. Kristen says:

@Audren. You are so right. We don’t know how much we offend God. I heard R. C. Sproul teach about the Holiness pf God. This is the only attribute of all God’s attributes that is repeated 3 times. He is Holy, Holy, Holy. He said that it is not written that God is love, love, love or fill in the other attributes. This stood out to me. May we remember who He is. We can only approach Him because of Jesus astonishing sacrifice. Here is a link to the teaching. There are 5 parts in this link: https://youtu.be/KRPr_vtN2rY However, I remember there being 6 parts. You can search on YouTube too. I did see one with 15 parts, but the teachings may be broken up more. I’m not sure. I heard that Chuck Colson, founder of Prison Fellowship ministry, was brought to his knees by this teaching. I can’t remember the exact words, but this definitely impacted him. Hope you all can listen. Hope everyone has a great day!

6. Magie says:

I love JESUS!!

7. Lauren Gannon says:

Amen!

8. Heather O’Malley says:

@Mari V – I was born and raised in Fresno. My husband and I moved to Oregon almost 7 years ago, but the Central Valley holds many great memories. I don’t miss the heat, though!